Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You're in love with the UI. Not what's underneath.
    Right, it's what's on the inside that counts... like?

Better processor? Better OS?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    monoprice is the bomb, agreed. can't say i love the hero from what i've tried to do w/ a friend's
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Right, it's what's on the inside that counts... like?

Better processor? Better OS?
    no maybe he means the os it runs on ie linux
    no wait...

maybe the op is in love with webos after all
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Hey berrabus, my name is BJ DeHut and I am a representative for Sprint. This is a great debate question and I am happy to see so many people chiming in. Of course people’s opinions on these phones are simply that, opinions. A big deciding factor for people is the difference in keyboard. While the Pre has both physical and virtual keyboard, those who are new to touchscreen are sure to hesitate when it comes to the Hero. Though the Hero has many advantages that you touched upon, including many of the desirable functions that have yet to be activated in the Pre. Having instant functionality out of the box is certainly a plus. Both phones have their pros and cons but we are just happy to offer both to our customers.
    So true....From a Sprint perspective this has to be a great time....What they are doing with their lineup is borderline spectacular!...Sprint used to be a laughingstock now their getting a degree of respect...
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I wasn't so impressed with the functionality of the HERO... don't get me wrong if I could have both phones i'd own both. BUT if I had to chose between the PRE vs. Hero based on my use i'd pick the PRE. Its much more 'practical' in that I use my push mail and facebook integrated features pretty often. Also I feel that HERO is so widget based, granted I didn't really play with it for more than 20 minutes at the local sprint store. Widgets are cool but they don't replace useful applications.

Its a beauty of a phone though, screen is awesome and the UI looks awesome. Didn't notice any lagginess as mentioned before in some reviews. The PRE edges out the HERO in my eyes based on functionality and usefulness to the power user as opposed to the 'fun' nature of the widget based system of the HERO.

decide for yourself. I enjoy my PRE but wouldn't mind owning a HERO too.. hehehe. I'm such a gadget ho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm PREezy View Post
    I wasn't so impressed with the functionality of the HERO... don't get me wrong if I could have both phones i'd own both. BUT if I had to chose between the PRE vs. Hero based on my use i'd pick the PRE. Its much more 'practical' in that I use my push mail and facebook integrated features pretty often. Also I feel that HERO is so widget based, granted I didn't really play with it for more than 20 minutes at the local sprint store. Widgets are cool but they don't replace useful applications.
    Sure they do. My Work scene has the HTC email widget, which displays emails like cards. I can swipe up and down through my emails without launching the app. The messaging widget works the same way. Swipe to the next page in my scene, and there's a Facebook widget that shows the most recent status updates, with arrows to go back and forth. If I need anything more than that, I can tap on the widget to launch the Facebook app. What I love about the HTC scenes and widgets is that I can build my own "dashboard" and quickly swipe between pages to get an immediate high-level view of everything. If I need to drill down, it's only a tap away. Very fast and very efficient.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Quote Originally Posted by yobgup View Post
    Pre >Hero in most areas for me.

The Sense UI is great, but the Pre is more practical. I could not live without multitasking now.
    hahaha wow Palm really learned to advertise from Apple...

people actually think that the Pre is the only device that can multitask kudos

(ps. you should have said, cant live with the CARDS multitasking)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Any idea why the Hero can't receive MMS? I've been having trouble getting picturemails sent from other phones...
    looks like the hero is giving people some serious difficulties receiving txt messages

http://i.engadget.com/2009/10/26/htc-hero-having-intermittent-text-messaging-problems/

worse, there isn't mention of a pending fix.

oh gods of the cell phone when will you give us a smartphone devoid of any problems for everyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    looks like the hero is giving people some serious difficulties receiving txt messages

HTC Hero having intermittent text messaging problems? - Engadget

worse, there isn't mention of a pending fix.

oh gods of the cell phone when will you give us a smartphone devoid of any problems for everyone?
    i had this issue and when it came down to it, using task killers to force apps to close on will is what killed the SMS feature.

I did a master reset and stayed away from task killers. SMS issue is no more and my Hero is just as fast letting Android do the managing since its designed to do so

we are just control freaks lol
    (\__/)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    i had this issue and when it came down to it, using task killers to force apps to close on will is what killed the SMS feature.

I did a master reset and stayed away from task killers. SMS issue is no more and my Hero is just as fast letting Android do the managing since its designed to do so

we are just control freaks lol
    So mike have you owned all of those phones in your sig? If so which one is your favorite so far? Or do you always like the newest one the most?

Absolutely agree. The conventional wisdom that you must use a task killer app to "help" Android manage itself is probably causing some of these issues. Users that indiscriminately kill apps or processes because they think it's using up resources are likely killing processes that Android needs for certain functions. (There is a bug in the stock SMS app that drains the battery, but you don't need a task killer to deal with that either.)
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    So mike have you owned all of those phones in your sig? If so which one is your favorite so far? Or do you always like the newest one the most?
    i was a winmo user for years till i got the Pre (thank god...) sadly it lacked a lot of features i use regularly like file compressing / decompressing, web downloading (at the time) file management, doc editing etc. and went back to winmo.... hated it since i experienced something as elegant as webOS. So it got me a Hero and to my surprise it does everything i missed from winmo, nice OS like the Pre, tons of apps and runs smoothly without a need for hacks, roms etc. so IMO the Hero has the top spot so far. But no, in my experience with my devices the newest doesnt always mean the best, back when i used winmo i HATED the touch pro but LOVED my HTC Touch for some reason even though the Pro had way better specs, the Touch just worked better....
    (\__/)
    i was a winmo user for years till i got the Pre (thank god...) sadly it lacked a lot of features i use regularly like file compressing / decompressing, web downloading (at the time) file management, doc editing etc. and went back to winmo.... hated it since i experienced something as elegant as webOS. So it got me a Hero and to my surprise it does everything i missed from winmo, nice OS like the Pre, tons of apps and runs smoothly without a need for hacks, roms etc. so IMO the Hero has the top spot so far. But no, in my experience with my devices the newest doesnt always mean the best, back when i used winmo i HATED the touch pro but LOVED my HTC Touch for some reason even though the Pro had way better specs, the Touch just worked better....
    Hey man thanks a lot for the reply, I am seriously considering switching. Only thing holding me back is the hardware specs, I know I am getting a less powerful processor, but thats really the only thing holding me back. Some videos of the hero I see, it seems very quick, but at other times, videos show it being very slow. That and I am afraid once the Leo comes to the states I will HAVE to have that. Darn, what to do what to do..
    Last edited by wrxdrunkie; 10/26/2009 at 11:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    Hey man thanks a lot for the reply, I am seriously considering switching. Only thing holding me back is the hardware specs, I know I am getting a less powerful processor, but thats really the only thing holding me back. Some videos of the hero I see, it seems very quick, but at other times, videos show it being very slow. That and I am afraid once the Leo comes to the states I will HAVE to have that. Darn, what to do what to do..
    personally i want the HTC Dragon, the Android twin brother of the HD2.... but im fine with the Hero till it releases (hopefully sprint)

as for the specs..... this is what im aware of (anybody can correct me if im wrong)

Palm Pre - 600mhz CPU clocked at 500mhz with no GPU access

HTC Hero - 528mhz CPU clocked at the full 528mhz and with GPU enabled to help with the rendering...

which one wins???
    (\__/)
    personally i want the HTC Dragon, the Android twin brother of the HD2.... but im fine with the Hero till it releases (hopefully sprint)

as for the specs..... this is what im aware of (anybody can correct me if im wrong)

Palm Pre - 600mhz CPU clocked at 500mhz with no GPU access

HTC Hero - 528mhz CPU clocked at the full 528mhz and with GPU enabled to help with the rendering...

which one wins???
    Clockspeed means nothing. The Pre's 500mHz is a Cortex A8, which means that it's much faster clock for clock than the Hero's CPU. You'll have to wait for the Droid if you want to see what an A8 looks like in Android.

The comparison is really all about software here (and the GPU usage). webOS has only been out for a few months still and could definitely use some optimization. I haven't used a Hero in person, only seen the videos of it, but it seems to be mostly on par with the Pre, though either Flash or the text resizing makes browser zooming a little laggy, in the videos I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Clockspeed means nothing. The Pre's 500mHz is a Cortex A8, which means that it's much faster clock for clock than the Hero's CPU. You'll have to wait for the Droid if you want to see what an A8 looks like in Android.

The comparison is really all about software here (and the GPU usage). webOS has only been out for a few months still and could definitely use some optimization. I haven't used a Hero in person, only seen the videos of it, but it seems to be mostly on par with the Pre, though either Flash or the text resizing makes browser zooming a little laggy, in the videos I've seen.
    thats why i said, correct me if im wrong

thanx for the clearup
    (\__/)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobgup View Post
    Pre >Hero in most areas for me.

The Sense UI is great, but the Pre is more practical. I could not live without multitasking now.
    the hero multitasks, but doesn't switch as cleanly from one app to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Palm PREezy View Post
    Also I feel that HERO is so widget based, granted I didn't really play with it for more than 20 minutes at the local sprint store. Widgets are cool but they don't replace useful applications.
    i'm unaware of any widget on my g/f's hero that doesn't have an analogous app. if you don't like the widgets, you don't need to use them.

Its a beauty of a phone though, screen is awesome and the UI looks awesome. Didn't notice any lagginess as mentioned before in some reviews. The PRE edges out the HERO in my eyes based on functionality and usefulness to the power user as opposed to the 'fun' nature of the widget based system of the HERO.
    i've got a pre, and just picked up a htc hero for my g/f a week and a half ago on my account, and i think you've got it exactly backwards. the htc has a lot more functionality, while the pre with its slick multi tasking is more 'fun.' there's no functionality (versus slickness) that the pre has or can get that the hero lacks or can get, but the inverse can't be said.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Not sure where your getting your info, but android/hero isn't currently using the gpu to accelerate 2d operations.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Had my Hero for a week or so now and still lovin' it. The thing is slick, fast, and incredibly, incredibly customizable. No hardware complaints, no problems with the screen, no software problems.

Really looking forward to the Android 2.0 update coming up in the next few months too.

If you had a way of combining the "card" system from Palm with Android's superior customization (widgeting), you would have an amazing device. As it stands, though, the Pre still lacks too many features for it to be considered more than a beta product.