Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    2,476 Global Posts
    I have both phones...the lag is equal.

But the Android OS is grown....whereas the Pre is still...well...premature. So with time it will get there...but as of right now...the Hero wins in virtually all categories except the ease of multi-tasking.
    I will add my noise to the din

I checked out the hero in store only and felt underwhelmed. I expexted it to run circles around the pre. It dosn't it had lag more in some areas les in others. Opening multiple applications all at once was slower and harder to navigate.

as I said underwhelmed.

I cannot fathom why you would go for a hero over the upcoming moment if webos wasn't your thing (outside of the 30 days) it is a faster device with full qwerty and presumedly the ability to run heroes ui if you flash to it or whatever the kids call it.

I also cannot see moving to the hero for performance over a pre. Apps and the polished functionallity are omr thing. Pre is a great phone for my needs but I recognize others need more and cannot wait, be it a week or 6 months. But performance wise I don't see it, especially multiple app launches and moving between them.

anyway its a nice problem for customers to have. A real abundance of choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You're assuming people have family plans. If you're on a single plan, you can't simply add another line for 20 a month.
    Well, that's true I did sort of assume that. When the Pre came out I was not sure I wanted to give up my discounted Sprint Plan so I just activated the Pre on a new line and then canceled prior to the 30 day period. I DON"T recommend this though because the CSR's heads were spining trying to transfer my number back and forth. It finally worked out though I will never try that again.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmac923 View Post
    This is bogus! I thought that sounded weird so I chatted with sprint vaguely about this. They said that you cannot keep the device if you cancel within thirty days. You have to send the device back also or you will be charged the full amount for the device.

I would have done this, but it won't work. If it did work for you, just beware that you may see some additional charges on your account for the remainder.
    I guess as with all things Sprint, it just depends on what CSR you get. I have done this before and I know others who did this when the Pre came out. I did not get charged any additional fees. I did NOT get the mail in rebate that's all. YMMV.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I will add my noise to the din

I checked out the hero in store only and felt underwhelmed. I expexted it to run circles around the pre. It dosn't it had lag more in some areas les in others. Opening multiple applications all at once was slower and harder to navigate.

as I said underwhelmed.

I cannot fathom why you would go for a hero over the upcoming moment if webos wasn't your thing (outside of the 30 days) it is a faster device with full qwerty and presumedly the ability to run heroes ui if you flash to it or whatever the kids call it.

I also cannot see moving to the hero for performance over a pre. Apps and the polished functionallity are omr thing. Pre is a great phone for my needs but I recognize others need more and cannot wait, be it a week or 6 months. But performance wise I don't see it, especially multiple app launches and moving between them.

anyway its a nice problem for customers to have. A real abundance of choice.
    ah... Maybe you got a broke Hero. I have both and the both have their good points. The Hero definitley outshines in features and functionalilty. Where did you find it lagging?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I made the switch to the Hero tonight and I am thoroughly impressed with the phone. Pulling in my gmail contacts was seamless and was set up in less than 5 minutes.

Notifications, sounds, UI, app market, customization...the Hero has it in spades. 7 different customizable home screens offer me more personalization options than I frankly know what to do with. I can easily see the weather, make quick calls, access my bookmarks, see my calendar, pull up my email...all from one screen. No cards to open or dismiss, it's all right there. Settings, NFL mobile, and anything else I want are a simple, lag-free smooth swipe away.

That's what I was really looking for. As much as people enjoy the "clean" and "uncluttered" interface of the Pre, it just seemed to me that it was empty. There wasn't anything to PUT there. I didn't WANT to always have to pull up cards when I just wanted to know what the weather was like outside. And I'd be damned if I was going to keep battery draining cards open that weren't even providing me with the most recent information I was looking for.

The apps and tools were incredibly lacking too. As beautiful and bright as the Pre's display is, what good is it if you can't do anything with it that utilizes all the 16 million colors? Stare at pictures of a rainbow? Why would Palm attempt to make its interface so intuitive yet offer virtually nothing to use as a part of that interface? It doesn't help that graphics acceleration is a LONG way off on the Pre either.

As much as I thought the Pre was a great offering from Palm, there were far too many problems, both software and hardware - to ignore. I'm happy after 3 hours with my Hero and sincerely believe that the phone will continue to improve after 1.6 and 2.0 from Android.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Your right. That X10 looks freakin' awesome. If Sprint gets that, oh man! It's on. Until then, I either need to find a way to get the hero and trade in the PreBeta phone or wait til Dec09 for one of my handsets to get an upgrade. I may go ahead with the new line and drop it within 30 days and incur the 200 dollar ETF. $379 for the hero and about $250 for the Pre. I'll be out $129 plus my time of the hassle for the switching and Ebay fees. Still I will be out $179, but I could be a little money ahead selling the Pre that way. IMO, Palm only has one thing going for them...WebOS. The Pre and Pixi are not going to make them contenders in this market. Ecspecially with the onslaught of the Android phones coming out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Notifications, sounds, UI, app market, customization...the Hero has it in spades. 7 different customizable home screens offer me more personalization options than I frankly know what to do with. I can easily see the weather, make quick calls, access my bookmarks, see my calendar, pull up my email...all from one screen. No cards to open or dismiss, it's all right there. Settings, NFL mobile, and anything else I want are a simple, lag-free smooth swipe away.

That's what I was really looking for. As much as people enjoy the "clean" and "uncluttered" interface of the Pre, it just seemed to me that it was empty. There wasn't anything to PUT there. I didn't WANT to always have to pull up cards when I just wanted to know what the weather was like outside. And I'd be damned if I was going to keep battery draining cards open that weren't even providing me with the most recent information I was looking for.
    That's exactly what I like about Android. I can setup my "desktop" with the widgets I need and save that desktop. When I wake-up the Hero, it's always ready to go with updated info. It's much more convenient than webOS.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    That's exactly what I like about Android. I can setup my "desktop" with the widgets I need and save that desktop. When I wake-up the Hero, it's always ready to go with updated info. It's much more convenient than webOS.
    I don't really think that Android alone can be thanked for the widgets and convenient screens. That is what HTC brings with it's unique UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmac923 View Post
    Your right. That X10 looks freakin' awesome. If Sprint gets that, oh man! It's on.
    There are currently ZERO Sony branded CDMA based phones for sale with either of the major carriers. I would not hold my breath for a CDMA version of the X10.
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    double, thanks for the feedback. Where have you/do you go for Android info? Unfortunately there isn't a dedicated single platform forum like there is for the Pre because Android is on multiple devices.

I've been going to the Phandroid Forums, and Androidforums.com.

Anywhere else I should be looking? Also, any idea where I can get a cheap miniusb cable to keep near my computer when I'm working during the day?
    First off, the Pre CANNOT be overclocked to 800mhz, thats outright WRONG.

The Hero has a slow CPU, but a lot of you aren't realizing that the Hero also off-loads a lot of its tasks to the GPU, i.e. it runs smoother then the pre in many, many, many aspects. Look at how many intuitive/intensive widgets that are used on the Hero, yet it still is a power house.
    Pre >Hero in most areas for me.

The Sense UI is great, but the Pre is more practical. I could not live without multitasking now.
    Honestly, I think the Pre is a better device. I only know from sitting in the local Sprint store for at least 4 or 5 hours and fanatically watching PreCentral for the past few months.

Personally, when it comes down to it. I just really want a decent web browser. I definitely want an animated radar map. I want something very similar to Dealert (hopefully the camera APIs will come so it can read barcodes), but Dealert is an awesome app. And the Pre really does have some nice hardware. It's a perfect round shape. It's definitely more beautiful; the Pre screams "style" all around. I like that it's all screen and you can snap it up to reveal a hardware keyboard for one-handed (or blind) typing. A HW keyboard is indispensable for me. It's got a hardware ringer switch. Supposedly the Pre's camera is better, and I intend on taking a lot more pictures either way since they're both auto-focus (can't remember if the Hero has a flash or not); Palm has always focused on the optics and end-results of the actual pictures.

When it comes down to it, I'm just in love with WebOS, honestly. I dream of swiping cards left and right to move between them, and flicking them up to close them. It's a beautiful thing to watch the cards move so smoothly. That's another thing... I think that the phone runs great as it is, but in 6-12 months, when I'd expect the graphics APIs to be implemented, it'll be like I got a new phone... upgraded to 3Gs+ speed. I love the concept of Synergy. That's really one of the only things that homebrew and patches don't solve. Palm will need to fix that quickly, but I can give them some time for the great concept, free service for users, and it remembers your purchases so that you don't have to pay for them again. Universal Search will also continue to be upgraded. And speaking of upgrades, that''s another thing I like better about the Pre is the constant minor and major updates. I don't think other OSes & carriers are gonna be pushing out OTA updates like WebOS on Sprint (perhaps even moreso with the splintering of Android). I will enjoy watching the OS evolve, just like the iPhone users watched their platform evolve. The iPhone certainly didn't do everything right from Day 1 (and still hasn't come close), but I think Palm is doing a fantastic job considering their history of no innovation and their small size. I enjoyed Jon Rubenstein on the Engadget Show and think he really does know how to save a company, and I am kinda "rooting" for Palm.

I feel like this is the Last Hope before it's only iPhoneOS and AndroidOS. Palm & Co[mmunity] is like Sparta in 300. And PreCentral = WIN, btw!! As someone else stated earlier, there is no one forum like this for Android. I enjoy that WebOS has a beautiful and beautifully designed platform that is only lacking a few key functionalities that will come in soon updates, I'm sure... and I enjoy PreCentral. "If you build it, they will come."

BTW, I just wanted to mention that I do like some things about Android, specifically Locale, Layar, Sky Map, & Shop Savvy (at least the barcode scanner part of it). Locale would be pretty sweet, but I really don't need that functionality, and it looks like it should still theoretically work with WebOS. I prefer my ringer to disturb the peace anyway. :-) Layar is cool, but it's one of those gimmick apps that I'd probly only use to show off. Sky Map is in the same boat, because I live in a polluted city, so I can't actually use it "with" the Sky as a tool but a couple times a year. Shop Savvy seems like it will work with the Pre in due time, but we'll need to wait a bit longer for that. So the barcode scanning is really the only thing I'm missing from the Pre in all practical sense!!! The only thing missing on the Pre in terms of hardware for me is the compass and expandable memory (but I'd rather have 8gb of internal than 256 or 512mb; this will provide quicker picture taking, among other perceived speed differences). I can't wait to upgrade in 12 (Sprint Premier, beetches) to 24 months and see what's around then. And I probly won't exactly NEED to once the graphics chip is utilized, but a compass and more storage would definitely be cool.

These are amazing times we live in.
    Last edited by grndslm; 10/22/2009 at 08:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    double, thanks for the feedback. Where have you/do you go for Android info? Unfortunately there isn't a dedicated single platform forum like there is for the Pre because Android is on multiple devices.

I've been going to the Phandroid Forums, and Androidforums.com.

Anywhere else I should be looking? Also, any idea where I can get a cheap miniusb cable to keep near my computer when I'm working during the day?
    Looks like phandroid fixed their server issues, so that's probably the best site. (I really wish their podcast was as well-done as Dieter's, though.) Android Central is starting to heat up now with the release of the Hero. I've also read some of the articles at cnet.com's Android Atlas. This was a very good read:

http://androidsocialmedia.com/apps/e...he-new-outlook