Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    if the screen is keeping what made the deciding factor then I would say that your really not comparing the phones. Have you seen how much apps are in the app store. I paid less for the madden game on my ipod then some of the crap that's being pushed in the lame app store. Sorry to be blunt but I expected better and the prices sealed the deal for me. Android apps are usually less then 3 bucks and way better than the stuff we have in the app store.

I think the Pre has potential but if its going to come down to choosing games for the Pre and any other leading platform then I say bye bye Pre. I don't only play games but when there is nothing compeling to buy...what do you do. All the standard stuff the Pre has, the hero has.
    you do know the app store is still in beta right?
    Well the pre is gone and in with the hero. The more I use it the more I like it. I do miss the multitasking of the pre. I don't miss the bugs though. BTW, I am typing this from my hero.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    My wife recently got an HTC Hero because coming from an iPhone she just HAD to have a virtual keyboard. We're going on almost 2 weeks now and she's second guessing her decision. While she really likes the build and quality feel of the Hero (ahem... me too), she really likes the simplicity and easy transition between apps on the Pre.

I wrote a blog on this topic... I pasted it here for your reading pleasure:

Those who follow me on Twitter know... I'm a Palm Pre fan. Maybe "fan" is an gross understatement.

My wife? A bonafide iPhone fan. Try as I might to explain to her why the iPhone is worth leaving, ultimately it was Benjamin Franklin who made the strongest case: thanks to Sprint's low rates and their Any Mobile, Anytime feature, we were able to dump our landline for good and save over two grand over two years. Not chump change.

Casting aside my strong recommendation that she get a Palm Pre, my wife instead opted to get the HTC Hero. The reason? She actually wanted a virtual keyboard, because it would be the closest thing to her precious iPhone. The Palm fan in me was disappointed, but the geek in me was overjoyed. And hey, with Sprint's 30 day return policy, if she didn't like the Hero, she could switch to the Palm Pre, a phone she already knew well... thanks to yours truly never shutting up about it!

Just a couple weeks in, I can already tell you: these are two *very* different phones, each filling a different niche. On one hand there's the HTC Hero, running on an already established, maturing Android platform. Much like the iPhone, it's essentially a platform for running apps (though unlike the iPhone, in an open, unrestrictive way).

On the other hand, there's the Palm Pre, with its revolutionary, yet unproven webOS. The apps aren't there quite yet, but at its core is an already robust operating system that allows for running multiple processes simultaneously in real time.

WHERE THE HTC HERO WINS:
    Having played with the HTC Hero after a couple days I can tell you I'm very impressed. I had a reeeeeal strong bias against it from the outset because of my loyalty to Palm, but it certainly made me a little green with envy on multiple occasions...

Build Quality
    I think the Palm Pre may be the smaller, more attractive device, but there's no question the HTC Hero is built better. There's no moving parts, it has a glass screen (that's supposedly smudge resistant but it ain't all that great), and generally better quality feel to it.

Features the Pre doesn't have ...
    I'm not talking about little things. I mean BIG things like visual voicemail, video recording, voice memo, and expandable memory (up to 32 gb... it comes with only 2 gb, though. Pre has only 8gb). Palm has publicly stated the Pre will get both video recording and visual voicemail in the future, but seeing them on my wife's phone really made me want them NOW.

Apps, apps, apps...
    The Android OS has had time to cook... over a year now. So it's had time to build a sizable app store... almost 10,000 apps! And good ones, too. There's an app called "Barcode Scanner" which allows you to scan the barcodes of things in the store so you can look up online reviews of them, etc. Just tonight, I played friggin' DOOM on her phone. Just like on the PC! I was overjoyed to see RoboDefense, a game much like the iPhone's Field Runners. Let's not forget they have a fully functional DataViz Documents to Go app for editing Microsoft Office files. Really, really cool stuff! ... Except for one thing... no screen shots of apps in the Android Market. What's up with that?!

Meanwhile, the Palm Pre's App Catalog is still in beta, with almost 200 apps. I know the apps will come because webOS is so easy to write for, but I was kinda jealous.

BUT... even with all of that said, I'm not giving away my Palm Pre anytime soon. Why?

WHERE THE PALM PRE WINS...

** WebOS: **
    This is by far the best operating system I've ever seen on a phone. While HTC did their best to make the Hero display multiple widgets, (EDIT: and holding the home button DOES pull up a list of active apps), it's still nowhere NEAR as elegant or effective a solution as on the Palm Pre. Now... webOS DOES take some getting used to: you actually have to TRAIN yourself to use Universal Search and leave multiple apps open at the same time (your initial instinct is to close 'em when you're done). But once you do that, you'll swear by it. Nothing comes close. Not the iPhone, not Android. To ME, this is the most important thing because no matter what I'm doing on my phone, I use this OS all the time. Put simply, it just WORKS.

Keyboard:
    I always HATED the virtual keyboard on the iPhone. HATED IT! I could never hit the keys right, and the autocorrect was way too intrusive. The Palm Pre has a REAL keyboard. Reviews complain that it's small and cramped... and this was my initial reaction when I first got it. But after 2 weeks or so, I got really fast and accurate... more so than I ever could on the iPhone. That said, the HTC Hero's virtual keyboard isn't bad... in fact I think it would be slightly BETTER than the iPhone's if it wouldn't lag from time to time. But... after I got back to typing on my Pre I arrived at the same conclusion: ***** virtual keyboards! Nothing beats tactile. (** And with the Pre already having a virtual keyboard in the alpha stages, we will soon have the convenience of BOTH keyboards, whereas iPhone and Hero will always stuck with virtual only.)

Faster processor:
    Burden the HTC Hero with too much stuff, and it'll lag on you. The Pre can get quite laggy too, but overall it's definitely snappier, and updates have made it faster and more stable. ... And that's running MULTIPLE things at once.

Screen:
    The Hero's screen may have 0.1" on the Pre's, but 65,000 colors vs the Pre's 16 MILLION? Child, pleez.

Browser:
    Both use Webkit browsers like the iPhone, and while the Android browser has the great text re-wrapping feature when zooming in and out, the my Pre's browser is simply smoother and faster than my wife's Hero. In the browser games, speed and smoothness are the trump cards.

Touchstone charger:
    This is just an accessory, but the fact that I can just set my phone down on the charger without fumbling with wires is much cooler than I ever anticipated. Really.

I'll sum it up like this: all the cool stuff I liked about HTC Hero reminded me how young the Palm Pre is. Clearly, webOS needs to continue to grow and more apps need to come out. Buuuuuut, playing on the Hero reminded me of how amazing the Palm Pre ALREADY IS. Being used to the Pre's fluid multitasking abilities, the Android OS seemed primitive to me, despite HTC's bang-up job with their Sense UI.

Me, I chose the Pre, and even after a few wow's at the Hero's cool apps (a little green with envy, there), have zero regrets. Is it perfect? Heck no. Battery life sucks, and I really miss some features like visual voicemail, etc. But I've enjoyed the hell out of the Palm Pre, and I have a feeling my wife will unwittingly become a Palm Pre lover herself very soon! (I'll keep you guys posted!)
    Last edited by vara411; 10/21/2009 at 01:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I'll have to throw in my take on things just for the fun of it.

I absolutely love WebOS. I do, however, hate that the Pre is a slider phone. Palm's build quality is utter crap. I've got screen bleeding, and about four stuck pixels. Throw in some Oreo and cheap, plasticky feeling to the looseness of the Pre, and it feels like a FisherPrice toy.

If Palm made a candybar phone WITH WiFi (sorry Pixi), I'd lay down some serious cash for it.

Most of all, I dislike that hard or silicon cases for the pre fundamentally must suck: they have no way of staying connected on the phone except for tabs, which unforunately seem very weak across the board of available products.

For a candybar phone like the Hero, a silicone case is easy to make, easy to put on, and forever stays put, nice and snug.

Palm, for your next killer phone after the Pixi, think about the fundamental engineering of the cases that can be used--no one nowadays uses a phone without a case.
    That's a nice summary vara411. I'm curious what do you get from being such an ardent fan of Palm. Here you are surprised that other phones are also good in spite of your kicking and screaming against it. Temper your devotion perhaps?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    People...You don't have to pay $500 to get the Hero if you already have the Pre. It's very simple.

Add a line for $20/mo so you get the full discount price $179 but you have to pay $279 in the store. You wont be sending in the $100 mail in rebate anyway so the price really is $279

Next, after you get home have two numbers swapped so the new line is now on the Pre and the Hero gets your old good number. Next step cancel that new line before the 30 day trial period ends and sell you old Pre on ebay. They are going for a good $300 right now. More if you can get a new one for replacement of one of the many hardware issues you might be encountering.

That's what I did and It's not costing me a penny to migrate to the Hero. So far I'm very glad I did. I miss some of the really cool stuff of WebOS but I'm surviving.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    There are some good points in vara411's blog. I agree with most of it. I bought a Hero on launch day and I've been switching back and forth between my Pre and the Hero for the past 10 days. I'm keeping the Hero. My decision in favor of Google/Android over Palm/webOS really comes down to 3 things:

1. Palm's long-term strategy no longer includes business-class devices. Their target is Apple, not RIM.

2. webOS is pretty and elegant and simple and a new paradigm and all that, but for efficiency and speed Android is better suited for a phone/PDA user that checks their calendar, e-mail, reviews/edits documents, and important tasks multiple times throughout the day. Android, and in particular HTC SenseUI, just does a better job at this than webOS. With free apps like gDocs and gTasks installed from the Market, I now have a suite of apps that covers the PIM bases like PalmOS did.

3. The build quality of the Hero over the Pre is like the difference between marble and papier-mache. The sounds are louder. The screen is glass, not plastic. The battery cover doesn't creak or squeak like the Pre's. The volume buttons are solid. The power button works every single time. And, PTL, there is no silly fidgety USB cover on the Hero.

I really wanted to love the Pre. The excitement I felt when Palm announced the Pre was unlike anything I've felt for any other device announcement. The anticipation for the Pre's launch day was nearly unbearable. I have been a Palm disciple for 13 years. But ultimately I had to recognize that Colligan's Palm is gone forever and Rubenstein is turning Palm into an Apple wannabe.