Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreengdub
    What are your complaints about the Pre? Do any of those things seem better on the Hero??
    Here are some of my complaints about the Pre:

- Very limited out-of-the-box customizing
    - Exceedingly poor battery life
    - Poor build quality - already been through 2 replacements, current phone has a dead pixel hate that little USB flap
    - No official soft keyboard support, homebrew soft keyboard is very buggy
    - UI lag on EVERYTHING, even just switching pages in the launcher, to loading apps
    - Dialer loads somewhat slowly when answering incoming calls
    - No real SDK for developers (this is a HUGE one for me)/no GPU libraries, meaning...no actual software animation. On anything. For example: take a look at the bWeather app on any other OS, then come back and look at it on the Pre. Animated, beautiful icons versus...static beautiful icons. If I see rain animating when it's raining out on another phone, why the hell can't my Pre?
    - No video recording - minor niggle here, but if my girlfriend's LG Lotus can do it, there is no reason the Pre shouldn't also be able to.

Anyway...I'm starting to think that the Pre's 16.7 million colors is about the only benefit it truly has over the Hero, and even that (I'm hearing) is not that big of an issue when you look at the vibrancy of the Hero's screen.

Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    You are writing to a forum that is fairly bias towards the Pre.

Also, you do have Sprint Primiere. You can wait-out you 12 months to upgrade. Android devices and webOS devices may be much better in a years time. Perhaps that's the time to upgrade and decide?
    How do you know if you have Sprint Premier or not? I've been with Sprint for some time (and did sign a new 2-year with my new EDFP), so I guess I am - Sprint customers are eligible for the upgrade discount after just 12 months rather than 24?

And yes, I know that the forum that I'm writing to is biased towards the Pre - it is Precentral.net, after all.

I do like the Pre. It's a great little phone, it's got a lot of potential, but right now that's all I can see for it - potential. Out of the box, the Pre is missing many, many features that it should have had by default that have been discussed endlessly on this forum; For example, I should not have to install homebrew hacks just to turn on LED notifications, text forwarding, email in landscape mode, etc.

I understand that this is the first iteration of the webOS, but as one poster mentioned already, you build your system to do what current systems already do BETTER, not already lag behind them on release. That's what webOS is - an open beta right now to breathe life back into Palm. Maybe the webOS 2.0 in one year's time will be a fluid, amazing phone, but I just don't know right now if it's the phone for me. It seems like there's still a lot of work to be done on Palm's end to make the Pre comparable and with limited financial resources. Meanwhile, Google is a juggernaut with infinity billion dollars and a huge software development team behind it with scores of software devs already.

I dunno. This is where I'm at. I like the Pre, BUT - ....
    Last edited by Beefy; 10/19/2009 at 02:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    How do you know if you have Sprint Premier or not? I've been with Sprint for some time (and did sign a new 2-year with my new EDFP), so I guess I am - Sprint customers are eligible for the upgrade discount after just 12 months rather than 24?
    If you have the 1500 ED Family Plan, the main line is S|P. The qualifications is 10 year customer or an Everything-class plan of $69.99 or more, after 3 months of continual service.

but I just don't know right now if it's the phone for me. It seems like there's still a lot of work to be done on Palm's end to make the Pre comparable and with limited financial resources. Meanwhile, Google is a juggernaut with infinity billion dollars and a huge software development team behind it with scores of software devs already.
    Sounds like you've made up your mind. You don't want to wait for potential. Access to 10k apps right away is your calling...
    I have the Hero for my business and the Pre for personal. The Pre excels at nearly everything I put it through. There are two glaring issue for me on the Pre; no video camera, and apps. Those two things annoy me greatly, but I feel that the upside of the Pre outweighs those, if by just a nose.

Now, the Hero is excellent at many things, but it is in no way a perfect device. Also, Hero likely will not get Android 2.0 because it might not be capable. That alone should give you pause.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I have the Hero for my business and the Pre for personal. The Pre excels at nearly everything I put it through. There are two glaring issue for me on the Pre; no video camera, and apps. Those two things annoy me greatly, but I feel that the upside of the Pre outweighs those, if by just a nose.

Now, the Hero is excellent at many things, but it is in no way a perfect device. Also, Hero likely will not get Android 2.0 because it might not be capable. That alone should give you pause.

Good luck.
    Kinda new at the Andriod stuff. What does 2.0 have in it??
    NOOOOOOORTH!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I'm so close to switching to a Hero. I love the fact that the thing is far smoother than the Pre, has more software available, and the level of customizability that I've seen.

As cool as webOS feels, I still get the sense that like the app store, the platform was released as beta. We are NOT seeing a finished OS here and that's what bugs me. Why should I, as an end user, have to perform a hack to:

- Enable LED notifications
    - Perform text forwarding
    - Turn on a virtual keyboard
    - Get a call length in the call log
    - Get timestamps on my messages
    - Get a functional quickdialer
    - Install themes for customization of appearance rather than download them

I mean, this is supposedly a flagship smartphone, and it doesn't even have video recording for christ's sake. My girlfriend's LG Lotus can do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Dont ever go to the iphone then because you have to jailbreak it just to do that.
    The only thing on Beefy's list that you have to jailbreak the iPhone to get is customizable themes. Even stock iPhone OS gives you:
    - Text forwarding
    - Virtual keyboard
    - Call length in call log
    - Timestamps in messages (they're not on each message, but they're there)
    - There are many quickdialer apps

The iPhone doesn't have an LED, so LED notifications is irrelevant.

That being said, I completely agree with Beefy, and I'd add one more thing to the list: the option for different notification alerts. I don't understand why we can't pick our own text message notification sound like we could with the Treo/Centro. The stock sound sucks and is WAY too quiet.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I dunno. This is where I'm at. I like the Pre, BUT - ....

Thats a pretty BIG but....I say time to head to your local store and grab a Hero. The only thing that takes getting used to is the keyboard. And nomatter what new phone you get, there is an adjustment when it comes to that. You will love it!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Good luck.
    I was on the phone with a Sprint tech rep yesterday and he said that Android 2.0 (Eclair) WILL run on Sprint's Hero. Anyone know for sure?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    ^^ e;f,b

I've looked through the last few pages of this thread but didn't see any mention of it.

Will Android 2.0 run on the Hero?

This is a pretty big question for me, as I'm trying to decide - tonight - if I wanna switch to the Hero from the Pre. If the Hero won't support the update, I'm pretty sure I'll just stay with the Pre, all things considered. The Pre's hardware is very good, and with some major software updates it'll be a great phone. But right now, the software is seriously lacking in some big areas, and if I can get those things through the Hero, I'm going to switch.
    ^^ e;f,b

I've looked through the last few pages of this thread but didn't see any mention of it.

Will Android 2.0 run on the Hero?

This is a pretty big question for me, as I'm trying to decide - tonight - if I wanna switch to the Hero from the Pre. If the Hero won't support the update, I'm pretty sure I'll just stay with the Pre, all things considered. The Pre's hardware is very good, and with some major software updates it'll be a great phone. But right now, the software is seriously lacking in some big areas, and if I can get those things through the Hero, I'm going to switch.
    You think the hardware is VERY good?!? I wish I could say the same. It feels like a piece of junk.
    NOOOOOOORTH!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Also, anyone know if the Hero is running 1.6? Mine says 1.5, but the Sprint tech told me it was really running 1.6. Why would it say 1.5 if it was really 1.6?
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreengdub View Post
    Kinda new at the Andriod stuff. What does 2.0 have in it??
    Android 2.0 screenshot walkthrough : Boy Genius Report

Pretty good prelim on what 2.0 will have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Also, anyone know if the Hero is running 1.6? Mine says 1.5, but the Sprint tech told me it was really running 1.6. Why would it say 1.5 if it was really 1.6?
    1.6 is only on the MyTouch 3G from what I understand.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Yes there is.

"There is currently no tethering (that I'm aware of) on the HTC Hero with Sprint".
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it....

It's my last day to exchange. Should I jump ship for the Hero, or keep the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    I was on the phone with a Sprint tech rep yesterday and he said that Android 2.0 (Eclair) WILL run on Sprint's Hero. ....
    from a Sprint rep on the phone...you know it's gospel then....NOT. I wouldn't believe anything they say..
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Can you please provide source or evidence that the Hero may not be capable of getting Android 2?

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreengdub View Post
    You think the hardware is VERY good?!? I wish I could say the same. It feels like a piece of junk.
    I meant internally

The Pre's internals are far, far better than the Hero's, it's just that the software is severely lacking at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by steiale View Post
    Why you guys always compare a OS that is much longer on the market with a brand new first release OS? I just don't get it.
    Have you ever tried the HTC magic with the first Android OS? No? It was exactly the same as the WebOS is today. I had it! Don't forget that the hero is a one year further developed Android phone!!
    Now give the WebOS one more year and then compare these two OSes. That would be fair.
    Fair? If you are choosing to buy a phone TODAY, it matters what it can do TODAY, regardless of the AGE of the operating system, etc.
    If you had a time machine and saw that webOS would reign supreme in 2012, but was not really good now, but other OS were, I'm guessing you'd wait until 2012 to buy it..
    But I do love my PRE
    But I'm cheating on it with the HERO!
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
    Yes there is.

"There is currently no tethering (that I'm aware of) on the HTC Hero with Sprint".
    OH MY GOD please tell me you're being serious??? Really, there is a way to tether? Is it an app or a hack? USB or Wifi? Man, I'm switching to the Hero from the Pre and tethering is a must for me.

"We all follow the Chelsea!!!"
    yup,there are multiple apps and ways to tether with the Hero.
    Last edited by Mike20PR; 10/19/2009 at 07:32 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination