Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I upgraded my G1 to 1.6 (Doughnut) this weekend. I noticed that universal search is pretty much fully available.

By opening the keyboard and starting to type it will search for contacts, apps, bookmarks, and lastly Google. It's a little different, in that when I looked up a contact it showed as the first item but it did not expand to let me select a contact number or address, because it was also showing Google results underneath. I had to select the contact to access their details and from their initiate the call. The Pre's implementation is more intelligent about it but it's probably a matter of opinion. It won't search email (available separately in the email app, and searches against the server. No calendar search at all)

Synergy has equivalents in MotoBlur and Sense UI People, and will be a native feature in Android 2.0 (Eclair). Universal search is pretty much done. Card navigation scheme already aped by Sense screens and widgets. The differences now are too subtle for users to understand and appreciate when just playing with the devices.

Right now Palm is busy launching with new carriers and devices, running an app catalog and a developer program. All of which are steps that de-emphasize the phone in its current state in favor of new customer acquisitions and bringing on developers to fill in while Palm is absent. But as we're seeing, the reasons to choose a Palm device over the alternatives are increasingly intangible and it's not clear what this whirlwind of activity will net for Palm.
    Palm's next update is critical IMHO. If I were Palm, I'd wait until I can release a significant update. Simple updates at this point wil push even more people away; especially with the storm of Android devices coming up. In the near future they also need to firm up their HW. Even a solid WebOS will limp along if the HW remains relatively weak.

It's sad that Palm failed to take advantage of their first-mover position with Synergy and the Card system. Their marketing was terrible and they spent too much time on Itunes integration. Of course, execution has never been their strong suit.

It's difficult not to root for Palm given their PDA legacy. It's also maybe not fair to pick on them since WebOS is a very new platform. But these obvious execution snafus make it more difficult for current and potential customers.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I have the Hero and had the Pre. The battery life is not the same as one of the comments stated prior. The Hero has far superior battery life than the Pre. My Hero has not been charged for more than 8 hours and I still have 50% left. I have been using the Hero for the past 8 hours heavily. Used facebook, browser, sms, camera (still and video), uploaded pictures to facebook, and more browser. Still, the battery still running strong. The Pre's battery life is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtom2444 View Post
    Quick question: What's the difference in terms of battey-life between the two? Is the Hero better than the Pre? (I plan on switching ASAP so I hope so...)
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Two things keeping me away from Android:
    1) So far, all the Android phones available in the US are made by HTC. Yuck!
    what don't you like about htc? htc rocks- better hardware than palm, that's for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
    I have the Hero and had the Pre. The battery life is not the same as one of the comments stated prior. The Hero has far superior battery life than the Pre. My Hero has not been charged for more than 8 hours and I still have 50% left. I have been using the Hero for the past 8 hours heavily. Used facebook, browser, sms, camera (still and video), uploaded pictures to facebook, and more browser. Still, the battery still running strong. The Pre's battery life is a joke.
    Wow, dude, you should be a salesman. You just sold me a phone. Lol, seriously, I'm going tomorrow to a Sprint store to see if I can buy a Hero. Can't wait to give this Pre to my girlfriend. It'll be her problem then. Lol!

One more question: I use the MyTether app now on the Pre and it is actually a necessity for me, so I have to ask, is there a way to tether on the HTC Hero? If so, how exactly is is done? (Meaning, is it easy to set up, like via an app, or through other means?)
    Last edited by Dtom2444; 10/19/2009 at 12:03 AM.

"We all follow the Chelsea!!!"
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I have the MT3G and a Pre (I carry both for work) and after rooting and flashing a modified donut ROM, I can say that I should have stuck with my Curve for Sprint.

The Android platform is a joy to use. Battery life is GREAT compared to the pre, apps are amazing, and the flexibility of the OS make the MT3G the "funnest" phone I've ever used.

I am envious of Hero owners. I burned my upgrade on the Pre, and it's a great phone, but if I could go back and do it over again....
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Battery life really isn't that much different, at least for me. The Hero does have a larger battery(1500mAh vs 1150mAh) and should last longer, but not by much. In any case, battery life is an issue on both phones.

Android has been out longer and should be more polished. It is more polished, however, Palm does a lot of things right with the Pre.

I still say the Pre came out too early, but they had to release it when they did. Had they had 3 more months, it would have been more polished and complete, however, that wasn't the case.

Hero is a more complete phone on a more complete OS. Android is funded by Google, a large company with a lot of money.

Palm is on the right track, but is a small company with no money.

WebOS is more centric to the community since it is a smaller company (IMO). It is very customizable as Precentral community and webosinternals have shown, at least for the more advanced users. The framework is built for a great device.

In its current state, I like the Pre better than the Hero. The multitasking is what I need. I think they should have included somethings by default, but it is a great device.

If you like to customize your phone a lot, get the Hero. It offers better customization to the end user than the Pre does (precentral homebrew stuff excluded)

If you like to multitask as your life depending on it, get the Pre.
    There is currently no tethering (that I'm aware of) on the HTC Hero with Sprint.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Why you guys always compare a OS that is much longer on the market with a brand new first release OS? I just don't get it.
    Have you ever tried the HTC magic with the first Android OS? No? It was exactly the same as the WebOS is today. I had it! Don't forget that the hero is a one year further developed Android phone!!
    Now give the WebOS one more year and then compare these two OSes. That would be fair.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steiale View Post
    Why you guys always compare a OS that is much longer on the market with a brand new first release OS? I just don't get it.
    Have you ever tried the HTC magic with the first Android OS? No? It was exactly the same as the WebOS is today. I had it! Don't forget that the hero is a one year further developed Android phone!!
    Now give the WebOS one more year and then compare these two OSes. That would be fair.
    Well regardless if it is new or not, it is the competition. You have to compare what is currently out there to see if it is for you. Potential may not work for you. When Xbox came out, people compared it to the Playstation2 since that was its direct competition. You always compare something (new or not) to their direct competition.
    Not great logic. If you wait year, wouldn't android be around 3.0?

You have to compare current versions. That's reality.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I guess android will be on 2.0 and they are planning to implement features that WebOS already has.
    If this is the way you think then please get a hero. It is much better than the pre. It's simple as that.
    I know what I am talking about because I have both. Will still stick with the pre. Somehow I like it..
    It's not about the way he or anyone else thinks. It's reality.

It's Palm's responsibility to create parity or superiority with mobile OSes that came out a year or two years before WebOS. In regards to Android and iPhone OS, they have a lot of work to do. And these are moving targets, so just as the Pre aimed for the iPhone 3G and was smoked by the iPhone 3GS, so too will newer Android versions smoke a WebOS seeking to catchup with Android 1.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by steiale View Post
    so what you are saying... is that the Pre will be just as good in a year as the Hero is TODAY????? hahaha no wonder people are switching... its just logic

what do you think? Android will be 1.5 in a year also??? Palm better be better than Android today AND next year if it wants to stay afloat cuz from what im seeing, Google mean business!!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I don't think anyone is saying the Pre sucks. If I thought it sucked, then I would not have one.

The point we are making is

1. You have to compare current version of the OS out. WebOS is out now. It is compared to 3rd year Iphone, 1.5 android (and soon Android 2.0), WinMo 6.5, Maemo 5, etc. These are the current options. That is what you compare.

2. Pre is a good phone, but Palm rushed the phone out to compete. If it waited any longer, it would have lost more momentum, but it would have had a more finish product. They are money strapped, which is a reason they launched it "unfinished/unpolished".

Palm should focus on the software of WebOS and license WebOS to companies like HTC and Sony. It would be better for the OS since Palm is such a small company
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    It's my last day to exchange. Should I jump ship for the Hero, or keep the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    I wish I could exchange. I've played around with the Hero twice now and for me, it's much faster than my Pre. The biggest thing for me is the feel of the phone. It's solid. I feel like my Pre is going to break any second. Plus, they have a ton of apps which is important to me. If I were you, I'd go with the Hero. I'm too impatient to wait around on Palm.
    NOOOOOOORTH!
    All up to you buddy. It is your choice at the end of the day. I don't like Hero because how clutter it is and I have no idea what app is still running when switched to another app. Both are great OS. It is your personal preference.
    You are writing to a forum that is fairly bias towards the Pre.

Also, you do have Sprint Primiere. You can wait-out you 12 months to upgrade. Android devices and webOS devices may be much better in a years time. Perhaps that's the time to upgrade and decide?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Ugh. So torn. I really like the Hero, I love the fact that it's got an expanded market, it's got a fully customizable interface, etc. - but well, I'm going to play with the Hero one more time at the Sprint store on my way home tonight. It'll be the last chance for my Pre.
    Ugh. So torn. I really like the Hero, I love the fact that it's got an expanded market, it's got a fully customizable interface, etc. - but well, I'm going to play with the Hero one more time at the Sprint store on my way home tonight. It'll be the last chance for my Pre.
    What are your complaints about the Pre? Do any of those things seem better on the Hero??
    NOOOOOOORTH!