Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
    Still deciding between my Pre and my Hero.

Hero Keyboard Tips:

It has taken a week, but I really really like the virtual keyboard on the Hero now. HTC has added a lot of extra functionality to it. Tips...

1. Run the calibration utility. This makes a HUGE difference in accuracy and livability.
    2. Set your portrait keyboard for the compact QWERTY keyboard. This allows one-handed keyboarding with good accuracy.
    3. When you need the full QWERTY keyboard, rotate to landscape. I love being able to use two different keyboard layouts whenever I want.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    I think you are the first!
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Quote Originally Posted by eazyslim123 View Post
    Well, mikah912 I am pretty sure you're a recent Hero customer and I hope I did not offend you. But I never said the Pre was "so great out of the box", I said it was easy and simple to use the way all phones should be. And given that the Pre has been out 5 months they won't have the refinements and apps a developer like Android (REL.Late 2008, Big Company-GOOGLE!vs small Palm) might have.

This has sparked a greater need for desktop apps, patches and homebrews, something which Palm has blessed until they are able to provide this themselves.

Give them a couple more months and I am sure you will come back to your beloved Pre! (Especially since Adobe Flash is on its way!)
    No offense buddy. Really. I haven't "switched teams". I have no team, in fact. Hero is a better device FOR ME for now.

But your previous made it seem like Android is Windows Mobile 2.0 (just absurd on its face. I could outline 20 differences off the top of my head.), while WebOS is easy-to-use and not in need of modification or skinning or customization.

If that were the least bit true, then why is adding themes, icons, more launcher pages, and an active "agenda" or "homescreen" card the most popular customizations out there for Pre right now? Answer: It's not true. WebOS is so bare bones and feature poor that people are skinning it just as much as one would Windows Mobile.

The difference with Android is that it was built to be customizable from the ground up. Manufacturers and carriers could add whatever they wanted or change the interface altogether. Users could add whatever widgets they like too. WebOS has no such support, and Palm has most features incomplete and turned off by default. The OS isn't even really finished yet.

But yeah...I'd love to come back to WebOS...when it's truly complete. I'll never come back to the Pre. Might be the worst piece of smartphone hardware I ever had.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osubrad04 View Post
    It was like $480... However I'm selling my Pre, 2 spare batteries, car charger, touchstone, and 2 extra wall chargers on ebay.... so I feel like I should be able to make a decent return on those. The Hero is an amazing phone... let me know if you have any questions!
    Assuming you sell all of the above you still probably have to shell out aprx $150-200.

I ran into the same dilemma, but I was unwilling to pay the extra amount for a phone (hero) that will more than likely be surpassed via webos updates in the next few months.

I'll hold out for something more "substantial" assuming webos stays the same.

Good luck!
    guess you'll be changing your screename to Hero_FTW or Palm_***!?

Quote Originally Posted by Palm_FTW View Post
    When I recenty visited Sprint for one of my many Pre problems I played with the HTC Hero. Im getting a replacement Pre Monday and I am going to promptly buy the Hero off Ebay and Sell the Pre. Ive had a 3 month run with the Pre and it just isn't doing it for me.
    Yeah... I have to say that I have been really happy with the Hero. The Hero just seems more substantial & the glass screen hasn't scratched like the Pre's did on day 2. I mean I think the concept of the Pre is great, but the implementation is going to be bad for Palm. The hardware was just crap. I had really hoped they would put out quality units for their return to seriously compete. I just think Palm has dropped the ball... but I guess we'll see how the next 6 months go.

On a side note, the Sprint rep swapped my Pre out for a refurb so I could have a perfect condition phone.
    Last edited by osubrad04; 10/18/2009 at 03:56 PM.
    The battery life on the Hero lasts about .5+ day longer than the Pre with everything on the Hero & most shut off on Pre.
    its illogical to wswitch to an android phone nlw when eclair is coming out...the first phone with it will be the droid from motorola on verizon...which looks awesome by the way...I'll wait for this this system to come out for sprint...wish we were getting the droid...
    Quote Originally Posted by jateelover View Post
    its illogical to wswitch to an android phone nlw when eclair is coming out...the first phone with it will be the droid from motorola on verizon...which looks awesome by the way...I'll wait for this this system to come out for sprint...wish we were getting the droid...
    All android devices are upgrade-able to the new releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    it seems like we all want the hero for apps but when people actually get the hero, they are unimpressed
    You're not reading enough threads around here. There are lots of Pre owners who have tried out the Hero and have been impressed. Count me in the very impressed camp. The Hero is an outstanding phone. I'm getting closer and closer to putting the Pre up on eBay every day.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Two things keeping me away from Android:

1) So far, all the Android phones available in the US are made by HTC. Yuck!
    2) Google sent out a cease-and-desist letter to a ROM chef because he *gasp* included apps in the ROM that already came on the damn phone!

HTC sucks and Google is greedy. Goodbye, Android!
    1. I don't have any first hand experience with any HTC phone prior to the Hero, but I can assure you that the Hero is very solid. The build quality is excellent, maybe just a notch below the iPhone. It's far and away superior to the Pre.

2. Cyanogen has explained the situation. There are certain Google apps that are part of the "Google Experience" branding that phone makers pay Google for. Custom ROMs can be created that include these apps, which could be damaging to Google's business model with Android. Google was being pro-active before things got out of hand with other developers. If you think this is merely "greed", I (gently) suggest that you take some coursework in business and marketing.