Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
    I picked up the hero last week and i'm already back on my pre.
    it seems like we all want the hero for apps but when people actually get the hero, they are unimpressed
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    hurry! give that phone away as quick as possible! to me! not to drew (no hard feelings.. nothing personal)! lmao
    @dktoric what's wrong with the hero?

I've been wanting to check that phone out
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    I picked up the hero last week and i'm already back on my pre.
    I've had the Pre for a few weeks, and I'm trying to decide whether to trade it in for the HTC Hero. I think the Pre is well -- but very narrowly -- designed.

What made you go back to the Pre from the Hero?

The shortcomings for me on the Pre are the 8Gb ceiling (with no expansion card), the botched cut-n-paste, the lack of support for so many social networking apps, feeling flimsy (the slider already has "play" in it after only a few weeks' use), the higher total cost of ownership (Touchstones are expensive, and it doesn't feel like it was designed to _really_ use the USB port heavily), etc.

I played with the Hero a bit, and while the interface was nowhere as slick as the Pre (for me), I like HTC's UI overlay, support out-of-the-box for so many social media services, 8,000+ apps, etc.

Let me know what swayed you back to the Pre, and/or away from the Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhinez View Post
    I love my Pre. It's the best phone I've had in a long time. I had the instinct for awhile. The lag it accumulates over the course of running non-stop is ridiculous. I love the multi-tasking and how responsive the touchscreen is. I know it will be getting flash and a camcorder soon. I just wish it was sooner than later. The occasional freezing when downloading apps from the app store is frustrating. Compared to the HTC Hero it's pretty quick. I know it's under-rated but the short-comings are really making the Hero shine. Should I wait?
    Why do I care whether or not you keep your Pre?
    i want one
    Quote Originally Posted by adamcrei View Post
    I've had the Pre for a few weeks, and I'm trying to decide whether to trade it in for the HTC Hero. I think the Pre is well -- but very narrowly -- designed.

What made you go back to the Pre from the Hero?

The shortcomings for me on the Pre are the 8Gb ceiling (with no expansion card), the botched cut-n-paste, the lack of support for so many social networking apps, feeling flimsy (the slider already has "play" in it after only a few weeks' use), the higher total cost of ownership (Touchstones are expensive, and it doesn't feel like it was designed to _really_ use the USB port heavily), etc.

I played with the Hero a bit, and while the interface was nowhere as slick as the Pre (for me), I like HTC's UI overlay, support out-of-the-box for so many social media services, 8,000+ apps, etc.

Let me know what swayed you back to the Pre, and/or away from the Hero.
    Hero has some serious flaws which kept me away from it. You can check my posts at the cross platform forum.
    Get rid of it. Sell it, burn it, smash it, anything but keep it.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    why does everybody come to these forums asking for everybody to convince them to stay with their pre?
    if you dont want the pre its fine just go get a new phone
    get whatever one you like
    and if your giving it away
    give it to me
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    To make the decision for myself, I just asked "What do I really want?"

And my answer - in a word - was: utility.

I love, love, love, LOVE the potential of WebOS. I really and truly do. But it's lacking in a lot of areas of utility now that aren't excusable anymore. The photos app, lack of video recording, consistent lag, apps PERIOD....it goes on and on.

A lot of people here - and not without good reason - believe WebOS is worth waiting for. And it very well may be. But there's no reason one MUST wait with the Pre.

My choice was between uncertain potential and actuality.

Did I want the certainty of a deep, diverse app store NOW with 10K+ apps OR did I want the POTENTIAL of WebOS app catalog where the developers can't access half the hardware and must charge more due to the smaller customer base maybe getting to that level...someday...hopefully?

Did I want the certainty of a rock solid piece of hardware with textured grip and tempered glass screen that was scratch and smudge resistant NOW or did I want a cheap, unreliable plastic equivalent with more colors and way more tendency to develop yellow blotches, cracks, oreos and other flaws as I used it?

Did I want guaranteed-to-get-me-through-a-day-with-Heavy-use battery life NOW or the potential of Palm optimizing Pre battery life so that I could go a day without hooking it up to my car charger to and from work?

Did I want to enjoy a real official Facebook app with auto-updating widget and system notifications NOW or did I want to alternate between the memory-devouring full site, the TweetDeck-ignoring, slow-to-update x.facebook.com, the third party limited FF app, or another mobile Facebook site until Palm delivers their Facebook "app" with the Pixi that seriously underwhelmed in the recent beta appearance?

I'm not going to pretend Hero does everything better than Pre because it doesn't. But FOR ME, it's the much better device now.

Plenty of people here are willing to wait for potential, but by the time it's realized, Palm will have a new flagship handset out. Maybe two. Maybe never.

That's the game of uncertainty one must play with Pre. I simply tired of it. It's still a very nice device that is absolutely perfect for some...hell, a lot of people. I'm just not one of them no matter how hard I tried to be. I will definitely look up WebOS down the line, tho. In the meantime, I'm not keeping my Pre, and I wouldn't advise anyone else to either. Simply from my perspective, they're missing out on way too much by waiting.
    I love the Pre. It's been good to me when it's not acting up. I'm not too worried about the 8gb ceiling, so to speak, but the performance fluctuation. One day it will work flawlessly like when I went to Sprint to play with the Hero. It's like it has a mind of its own. Here are my pros and cons of it.

Pros:

Great display (16 million colors)
    Responsive capacitive touchscreen
    True multi-tasking phone
    Physical keyboard (get use to it after awhile)
    Adobe Flash update (soon I hope)
    Camera w/ flash
    Fast CPU (compared to the Hero)
    Easy to learn
    Homebrew apps growing
    App Store growing (not fast enough)
    Great OS
    Good update support from Palm

Cons:

Freezes (especially when downloading from app store)
    No video camera
    Still waiting for Adobe flash
    Flimsy and poorly built sliding mechanism
    Lags when a lot when multiple apps open
    Long boot-ups
    Poor antennae
    No message forwarding
    Battery Life
    Cannot customize home menu
    No Yahoo IM or MSN IM
    No memory expansion

I played with the Hero for about 2+ hours and here is what I thought:

Pros:

7 Homescreens that is customizable
    Widgets has a good spin for multi-tasking
    Trackball (I personally liked it)
    Sturdy and well built
    Expandable Memory (up to 32gb)
    5.0mp Camera
    Huge app store (10,000+)
    Adobe flash built-in
    Video Camera (Not good from reports nonetheless has one)
    Yahoo and MSN IM
    Great interface

Cons:

Display not that great (65,000 colors)
    On-screen keyboard (personally dislike since the Instinct)
    Glass Capacitive touchscreen not responsive (compared to the Pre)
    Slow and laggy (compared to the Pre lagging)
    Putting screen in landscape mode slow
    Web browser loading times slow
    Battery life (can be just as bad as Pre)
    Not a true multi-tasking phone

Those are what I happened to see about the Hero. Overall, it works and even though the cons of the Hero aren't great at least it works. I hope that Palm steps up their game very soon with a update that fixes majority of the problems people complain about.

To sum it up

Pre (with a great WebOS, multi-tasking, and fast CPU) or the Hero (with 10,000 apps, Flash, and video cam)
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    get whatever phone you want. if you don't like the pre i would love for you to get the hero. I would rather have a screen with 6.7 million colors vs 67k. If i want to play games I will get on the computer I don't need 9,000 games on my phone. The flash that is developed for the Hero is crippled and terribly sluggish.

Palm Pre> Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    get whatever phone you want. if you don't like the pre i would love for you to get the hero. I would rather have a screen with 6.7 million colors vs 67k. If i want to play games I will get on the computer I don't need 9,000 games on my phone. The flash that is developed for the Hero is crippled and terribly sluggish.

Palm Pre> Hero
    Comments like that make me want to keep my Pre.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhinez View Post
    Comments like that make me want to keep my Pre.
    They are both good platforms but from the hardware standpoint the pre owns it even with the design flaws that may or may not be present. If you are impatient get the Hero; but, if you don't mind waiting just a little bit the Pre will surpass Android IMO. The Pre is the flagship that Adobe is using for flash development on mobile phones. The flash they have on the Hero was not designed by Adobe.
    They are both good platforms but from the hardware standpoint the pre owns it even with the design flaws that may or may not be present. If you are impatient get the Hero; but, if you don't mind waiting just a little bit the Pre will surpass Android IMO. The Pre is the flagship that Adobe is using for flash development on mobile phones. The flash they have on the Hero was not designed by Adobe.
    Thanks for the tid-bit of info I wasn't aware of.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    @dktoric what's wrong with the hero?

I've been wanting to check that phone out
    I got to play with the Hero personally for about 30min tonight. I was VERY UNIMPRESSED.

1) Lag was ridiculus on it, this hardly ever happens on my pre.
    2) The jog ball on it was nice and senitive, but i kept hitting it by accident for this reason
    3) the widgets were nice and all for the homescreens so that was great
    4) menus and setup of the phone itself is great IF and only if you havent ever used a Pre...compared to the Pre the buttons and menu format and such are so back dated to older dumb phones. I almost felt like I was trying to use my wifes rant with an added touchscreen.
    5) eventhough a 5MP camera, the pics are a bit blurry looking and washed out. Pre camera is way better.

So in short it is an OK phone...BUT....depends
    If you are coming from a Pre it is a step backwards in smartphone awesomeness. If you are coming from a "dumb" phone or something like a Samsung Instinct etc, then YES this is a good phone compared to them, but in my opinion spend a few extra bucks and get a Pre.
    but, if you don't mind waiting just a little bit the Pre will surpass Android IMO....
    That's it in a nutshell. Wait. Believe. I did.

But I'm a rationalist, not a zealot. Empirical data changes one's mind. All of this stuff "coming down the road" looks just as promising as the Pre did in January, and it may be just as fraught with problems. If and when it gets here, that is.

The Pre, as it stands now, is missing a whole heaping lot of stuff that may or may not ever arrive.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    I got to play with the Hero personally for about 30min tonight. I was VERY UNIMPRESSED.

1) Lag was ridiculus on it, this hardly ever happens on my pre.
    2) The jog ball on it was nice and senitive, but i kept hitting it by accident for this reason
    3) the widgets were nice and all for the homescreens so that was great
    4) menus and setup of the phone itself is great IF and only if you havent ever used a Pre...compared to the Pre the buttons and menu format and such are so back dated to older dumb phones. I almost felt like I was trying to use my wifes rant with an added touchscreen.
    5) eventhough a 5MP camera, the pics are a bit blurry looking and washed out. Pre camera is way better.

So in short it is an OK phone...BUT....depends
    If you are coming from a Pre it is a step backwards in smartphone awesomeness. If you are coming from a "dumb" phone or something like a Samsung Instinct etc, then YES this is a good phone compared to them, but in my opinion spend a few extra bucks and get a Pre.
    Thats how I feel. I own the Pre but went to the store and played with a Hero for 2+ hours. I've gotten use to the gesture of the Pre, I caught myself trying to swipe the apps into card view.
    Thats how I feel. I own the Pre but went to the store and played with a Hero for 2+ hours. I've gotten use to the gesture of the Pre, I caught myself trying to swipe the apps into card view.