Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 913
  1. #521  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    I'm so close to switching to a Hero. I love the fact that the thing is far smoother than the Pre, has more software available, and the level of customizability that I've seen.

    As cool as webOS feels, I still get the sense that like the app store, the platform was released as beta. We are NOT seeing a finished OS here and that's what bugs me. Why should I, as an end user, have to perform a hack to:

    - Enable LED notifications
    - Perform text forwarding
    - Turn on a virtual keyboard
    - Get a call length in the call log
    - Get timestamps on my messages
    - Get a functional quickdialer
    - Install themes for customization of appearance rather than download them

    I mean, this is supposedly a flagship smartphone, and it doesn't even have video recording for christ's sake. My girlfriend's LG Lotus can do that.
    You seem to know what you want in a phone (which is good) and not willing to put up with the growing pains/development of a new OS. Why not try out the Hero and go with it if you feel it has the OS maturity you want? Seems kind of ridiculous for you to keep something that doesn't meet your needs when there is another option that does.
  2. pacha248's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #522  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    262K vs 16.7 million. I wonder which is better? Here is the catch though. The android OS only supports 65K colors max 16bit.
    Known specs of the Samsung Moment:

    * 800 MHz Samsung S3C6410 CPU
    * 3.2 inch AMOLED display (320 x 480 pixels) 16M colors

    Sprint Samsung Moment specs revealed – Android and Me
  3. #523  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrejs.g View Post
    I've been using the HTC hero since it came out last weekend, and honestly, I am anything but impressed with it.

    The build quality seems to be better than that of the Pre, but I really hate using it. Here's why:


    -The UI is terrible. It's anything but pleasing to the eye and does not seem logical to me. It gets frustrating at times.

    -The battery takes longer to charge than to discharge (a really long charging time), and is not that impressive. My old iPhone 3G does much better with a ton of push notifications.

    -The notification system is rather terrible

    -The app store seemed to be cluttered with junk, rather than anything useful.


    Those are just my .02

    Completely agree. Typing on the Hero is a horrid experience for me coming from the Pre and the lag from switching to landscape is very annoying. The UI is just too cluttered and complex, where finding anything and everything on the Pre is simple and intuitive. The Pre browser is better than the Hero's to me. Honestly outside of the app selection, I'm finding nothing that puts the Hero over the Pre.
  4. Beefy's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #524  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    You seem to know what you want in a phone (which is good) and not willing to put up with the growing pains/development of a new OS. Why not try out the Hero and go with it if you feel it has the OS maturity you want? Seems kind of ridiculous for you to keep something that doesn't meet your needs when there is another option that does.
    I do know what I want out of a phone, you're right. I'm also not opposed to sticking it out with Palm. BUT -

    I am not confident that Palm is going to be able to deliver on the promise of a fully updated and functional webOS with these features that I'm looking for. It just seems like there's so much that is still broken, so much that still has to be optimized, and I see hardly anything coming from Palm.
  5. #525  
    Quote Originally Posted by WAMS View Post
    while viewing video youtube or anything, you can change the setting from good to almost hd and the big screen comes alive!!!!! i did a side by side with the pre.......in the max res setting the hero kicked A S S !!!!!!
    Good find! Now if I can get the youtube application to default to high quality I will be very happy.
  6. #526  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp Lucious View Post
    Completely agree. Typing on the Hero is a horrid experience for me coming from the Pre and the lag from switching to landscape is very annoying. The UI is just too cluttered and complex, where finding anything and everything on the Pre is simple and intuitive. The Pre browser is better than the Hero's to me. Honestly outside of the app selection, I'm finding nothing that puts the Hero over the Pre.
    +1 completely agree. That is the same experience I had when I played with the Hero in a Sprint store for 20 mins. I love my Pre.
  7. #527  
    where do you find the HD setting for you tube? thanks!
  8. #528  
    I will say this much...one of the big things that people rarely mention in comparisons is that the Hero holds a 3G signal FAR more reliably than the Pre.

    It is like night and day.
  9. #529  
    Quote Originally Posted by pacha248 View Post
    Known specs of the Samsung Moment:

    * 800 MHz Samsung S3C6410 CPU
    * 3.2 inch AMOLED display (320 x 480 pixels) 16M colors

    Sprint Samsung Moment specs revealed Android and Me
    Ehh, another ARM11...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  10. #530  
    Well a couple days ago I had some free time after work and decided to play around with the Hero at a local Sprint store. I must say, the phone's outer shell design and vivid high res screen are very impressive. Much more so than the iPhone IMO. It matches the Pre's screen in terms of vividness and admittedly does feel more sturdy. But that's to be expected with a one-piece phone.

    I went through the apps and played with the all the basics to get a feel for it and its version of Android. If I had to get this phone, the first thing I'd have to do is mod the interface as much as possible because out of the box, WebOS is the certainly (for me)the easier, more intuitive interface to use. That isn't to say the Hero was hard to navigate, it wasn't, but it seemed to require more steps to achieve the same goal. And the multitude if indicators along the top seemed quite confusing (at first). I'm sure with time, just as with any new system, one will get used to it. I did like the widget idea on the home screen and the way it was implimented. Although I'd keep them to a minimum for the sake of tidyness. The demo phone had them spread out all over the home requiring lots of right-left scrolling.

    Like others mentioned, the one thing that's immediately missed is gesturing. It's amazing how used one can get to its convenience. Also, I didn't care for the track ball but thankfully, the touch screen made it irrelevant as I was able to navigate just fine without it.

    I think the upside to this phone for many switching over will be the responsiveness of the interface. It is definitely more responsive in most areas and for those with little patience, this will be a God send. However, I've found some aspects of the interface to be laggy. One of these was when scrolling with the browser. Another was when using
    Google Maps(I'm sure there are others). For some reason, even though these apps loaded up quickly, scrolling was very choppy, much more so than with the Pre. I guess there is always room for improvement

    Another thing I was a kind of put off by was the phone app and contact management. While more spiffy than the Pre's in terms of performance, I didn't care for the dialer or the way contacts were added/edited. It just seemed harder to use than the Pre's but I'm sure these apps have substitutes or can probably be modded to satisfaction.

    Also a little disappointing was the overall data speed. Will it did have a perfect signal and the apps loaded up quickly, it didn't seem any faster with regards to browsing or when using location-based apps. Pages and maps rendered at about the same speed on my Pre. I expected this to be snappier. However there could have been other reasons, unknown to me, why it was slower so I won't pass judgement before hearing from others.

    Overall, for the little time I played with it, I was impressed for the most part but not enough to give up my Pre Android is great but WebOS is special and I will stick it out while they polish it up.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  11. Henrymd73's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #532  
    Well the Hero is my alternate if Palm doesn't come thru by the end of the year with the fixes for battery life, grouping for contacts and calendar, and/or virtual keyboard!!!!! Hero is not plastic and its solid inside and out from what I've been hearing!
  12. #533  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    I'm so close to switching to a Hero. I love the fact that the thing is far smoother than the Pre, has more software available, and the level of customizability that I've seen.

    As cool as webOS feels, I still get the sense that like the app store, the platform was released as beta. We are NOT seeing a finished OS here and that's what bugs me. Why should I, as an end user, have to perform a hack to:

    - Enable LED notifications
    - Perform text forwarding
    - Turn on a virtual keyboard
    - Get a call length in the call log
    - Get timestamps on my messages
    - Get a functional quickdialer
    - Install themes for customization of appearance rather than download them

    I mean, this is supposedly a flagship smartphone, and it doesn't even have video recording for christ's sake. My girlfriend's LG Lotus can do that.
    Dont ever go to the iphone then because you have to jailbreak it just to do that.
  13. #534  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    where do you find the HD setting for you tube? thanks!
    when the video starts press the menu key, the hit more
  14. #535  
    When I recenty visited Sprint for one of my many Pre problems I played with the HTC Hero. Im getting a replacement Pre Monday and I am going to promptly buy the Hero off Ebay and Sell the Pre. Ive had a 3 month run with the Pre and it just isn't doing it for me.
  15. Tmac923's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    #536  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    You seem to know what you want in a phone (which is good) and not willing to put up with the growing pains/development of a new OS. Why not try out the Hero and go with it if you feel it has the OS maturity you want? Seems kind of ridiculous for you to keep something that doesn't meet your needs when there is another option that does.
    Probably because it would cost another couple hundred dollars for an existing customer that has had the Pre beta phone for over a month. I would also switch to the hero if it weren't for that.
  16. #537  
    I love my Pre. It's the best phone I've had in a long time. I had the instinct for awhile. The lag it accumulates over the course of running non-stop is ridiculous. I love the multi-tasking and how responsive the touchscreen is. I know it will be getting flash and a camcorder soon. I just wish it was sooner than later. The occasional freezing when downloading apps from the app store is frustrating. Compared to the HTC Hero it's pretty quick. I know it's under-rated but the short-comings are really making the Hero shine. Should I wait?
  17. #538  
    Yes, that's the decision I made last week.
  18. jbelew's Avatar
    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #539  
    wait for flash, go sign up for the flash beta to keep yourself occupied
  19. DrewPre's Avatar
    Posts
    818 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #540  
    Don't keep it, give it to me!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions