Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post
    as soon as the Hero is playing music in the background, it slows down considerably. Even more so when it plays music over stereo bluetooth
    This is because the Hero uses a single issue processor. Again, in terms of performance, the Hero will never touch the Pre. In terms of customization, the Andriod market blows the Pre out of the water, but look at the comparison.

Android is backed by a multi-million dollar corporation (Google) who has been paying people big bucks to develop this software. All of the Pre software has been mostly homebrew with hardly any financial support from Palm.

I'll take function over form any day of the week.

Now bring me Andriod backed by a decent processor and a better wireless carrier than AT&T, then count me in. Until then, I'm sticking with my Pre.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost_cause View Post
    I own both the Pre and Hero and here are my thoughts:

Multitasking is much more intuitive on the Pre.
    Browser smoothness, Pre wins.
    Youtube application, Pre wins.
    Customization, Pre wins (for now).

App store, Hero wins.
    UI responsiveness, Hero wins.
    Sense UI, Hero wins.
    Widgets, Hero wins.
    Eye candy, Hero wins.
    Storage capability, Hero wins.
    Trackball, Hero wins.

My biggest gripe with the Hero is the Youtube video quality is absolute ****. Lucky for me, I don't like Youtubing on a small screen, so its not that big a deal. It is a huge pixelized mess. Obviously, the hard keyboard is more functional than a soft keyboard, but for someone who has extensive experience with an iPod touch, touch typing is not a big deal for me. For those who say the Hero is slower than the Pre, try both before you talk. The Hero is far more responsive.

Something about the Pre just rubs me the wrong way, be it the fonts, lack of organization in messaging, absolutely sluggish behavior, AIM SNs not populating correctly, touches either lagging or not registering, so many little things that aren't there out of the box that we come to expect on a high-end device.... I mean come on Palm, no camera zoom? No 3D acceleration? Lag on a CPU comparable to an iPhone 3gs? Pfft, Palm dropped the ball.

Everyone has their own opinion, but the Hero is much more livable for me than the Pre. I may revisit the webOS once they work out the sluggishness and get more apps and 3D acceleration. Until then, you'll see me on the Android forums.
    while viewing video youtube or anything, you can change the setting from good to almost hd and the big screen comes alive!!!!! i did a side by side with the pre.......in the max res setting the hero kicked A S S !!!!!!
    The Wams
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    My experience with the Hero was the exact opposite. I love it.

But this is a Pre forum, so maybe this thread should be moved?
    Thanks for that.

We welcome the discussions, they just need to be in the correct forum:

http://forums.precentral.net/other-devices/

<<moved>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I assume by NO FLASH, you mean the camera right? Because the hero shipped with Flash player support.
    sorry forgot about this post. Yes i meant camera.
  6. JW
    I personally don't see what's so great about the Hero besides the camera and a more mature OS. I'd rather have an OS bent on making my life easier than having thousands of apps and a 5MP camera.
    It's not so much about the hardware of the devices, but picking a platform. Next year, you'll want to upgrade phones but you'll still have either Palm or Android apps that you purchased. As well as any platform specific accessories like the touchstone.

Both OS's will keep advancing. Android will have many different hardware devices with each maker giving the OS its different take on things. Palm? We know of 2 devices. While not much in offering choice of form factors, it could promise a more seamless experience and a consistent OS with just Palm's spin on things.

All this other talk of what's needed now in their young stages will get addressed soon enough for both. It's due to the newness that people are still undecided and not too terribly invested in either yet. It's also why iphone, RIM, or even WM users won't switch as fast as they've had time to acquire a sizable investment in those platforms.

This is reason enough that Palm can't totally rely on keeping their present users. It's still too cheap to switch. Whether its flash or enabling video or simply audio recording, Palm needs some significant (missing standard) features in updates if possible...if nothing more than to reward early adopters for having some faith. JMO.
    I own both the Pre and Hero and here are my thoughts:

Customization, Pre wins (for now).
    I'm confused. From what I see the Pre allows almost no customization, unless you're willing to hack the phone and use a bunch of unapproved "patches" that break with every new update from Palm. The Hero, on the other hand, allows customization of far more out of the box, and if you do want to hack it you can customize everything, right down to complete packaged ROMs from multiple sources.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog197804 View Post
    Am i the only one here that is tired of the hero... seems like everytime i come on the forums i see a thread started about the hero this or the hero that...kinda like this one...sorry! This is precentral.net correct?
    And this forum is "other handhelds" is it not?

The solution is simple. If you don't want to read about the Hero, don't read those threads. And for sure don't start new ones. Sort of the pot calling the kettle black, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    I personally don't see what's so great about the Hero besides the camera and a more mature OS. I'd rather have an OS bent on making my life easier than having thousands of apps and a 5MP camera.
    Fine. I'd rather have apps that actually DO make my life easier, not an OS that promises to do so, but doesn't have the app support to actually do it. Don't get me wrong though: I'm not at all convinced the Hero is the best answer, but I know that for me the Pre is the wrong answer. At least for now.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    My experience with the Hero was the exact opposite. I love it.

But this is a Pre forum, so maybe this thread should be moved?
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveChiller View Post
    I don't know but my Pre is very laggy and after watching videos of the Hero that thing loads up stuff really fast, compared to the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    My Hero is not laggy at all, especially compared to my Pre. The phone out of box is far better than the Pre. Now, I love my Pre, and I'll bet this time next year webOS will be great.. I just know not to expect much in the way of APPS , especially after that article by the makers of Air Hockey. Even with changes in the SDK, I dont think they will improve much.
    I think what people are talking about is the UI lag on the Pre. There is this .5 - 1.0 second lag between inputs that drive us insane. Once inside the app, its definitely snappier than the Hero. We also run into issues with the phone not registering inputs and the such with the touch screen.

With that being said, the Hero does not suffer from this, and inputs are instant. There are some things I will miss about the Pre, but overall, the Hero is much more usable.
    I think what people are talking about is the UI lag on the Pre. There is this .5 - 1.0 second lag between inputs that drive us insane. Once inside the app, its definitely snappier than the Hero. We also run into issues with the phone not registering inputs and the such with the touch screen.

With that being said, the Hero does not suffer from this, and inputs are instant. There are some things I will miss about the Pre, but overall, the Hero is much more usable.
    I agree. But I don't see any lag even when multiple programs are running. When I use Pandora on my Pre, the entire phone slows down. Not so on the Hero. Also, no Wifi having to restart when the phone wakes.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    After using my Pre for two weeks I took it back and exchanged it for the Hero. I definitely made the right switch for myself.

Unlike the Pre, upon first using the Hero I felt giddy. Everything was smooth and felt right. Understand that when I first opened my Pre the entire phone froze up on me during the initial setup. I had to pull the battery out to restart the phone. Right off the bat I could tell the Pre was going to be troublesome. I wasn't getting a good vibe from it. The Hero gave me the exact opposite impression. The phone feels solid in the hand, the soft touch is very nice and overall the look and feel of the phone seems much more grown up and refined.

The user experience with the OS so far has been stellar. There are a lot of people on here talking about how it uses a really old and slow processor compared to the Pre. That may be true, but I just don't see it. Everything has been quick and responsive. The only issue I might make has been the speed of the web browser on EVDO. Even then I find it perfectly acceptable. That said I don't come from a smart phone background. I don't need a mission critical email and business device. My Hero is all about fun and phone calls. I use it for listening to podcasts, music, casual web browsing, text messaging, alarm clock and making calls. Through I've also discovered the Hero has some really great apps.

I've noticed that I've spent more time browsing the web on the Hero in the day and a half I've had it then I did the entire two weeks I owned the Pre. I feel that even if the web pages load slightly slower then they did on the Pre, the overall browsing experience is better. The text reflow is a huge feature I can't seem to express the importance of enough. I'm also shocked to realize how useful the scroll bar is in seeing where I am on the page. I didn't think this was going to be a big deal, but Ive found it very nice to have. It may sound silly, but without, it's like going through your day never knowing what time it is. With it, it acts as a reference for where you are.

I've loaded several apps on the phone and customized my various screens. I figured the phone would slow down as I tested one app after another. I just figured that some would leave processes running in the background and the more I opened the more the phone would slow to a crawl. Indeed I had several processes going at once, but the phone still felt quick and responsive. As if I had just turned it on the first time.

I'm really enjoying the scroll ball on the phone. I'm finding myself using it for scrolling down webpages and lists. It just feels quicker and easier at times then having to drag my thumb or finger in longer swipes down the screen. It also saves my screen from getting as smudged up. The same is true of the physical buttons. I wasn't a big fan of the gestures on the Pre. Sometimes I would have to perform them a couple times before they would "catch". This seems to work nicely.

As for flash. I personally hate flash based websites. Always have. But I do have some flash based video players embedded in my website and I was pleased to discover that the phone saw them and played them back. The playback was just as smooth as any youtube video in the youtube app on either the Pre or the Hero. As far as flash for cell phones is concerned, that's all I need. So long as I can watch Hulu and embedded videos on websites, anything else that's flash doesn't matter to me.

What I don't like about the Hero is the wallpaper. For some reason it asks you to crop your images before saving it as wallpaper. I have previously sized my images to fit the screen resolution (480x320) so I was not pleased when it asked me to crop them more in the phone. But the wallpaper in general is not as easy to see since their are icons and widgets covering it up all over the place. That said, I do like that you can pick a different wallpaper for the lock screen. But once again it asks you to crop it, just not as much.

The camera quality seems to be decent. On par if not a little better then the Pre. But it is slightly higher resolution so that accounts for something. The lack of flash however is not as nice. But, then again, the Pre was the only phone I ever owned that had a flash, so it's not that big of a loss to me.
    I am a professional videographer/photographer so camera phones aren't what I'm going to turn to have good quality pictures anyway. In my opinion all camera phone cameras suck I'm waiting for the day they start using real compact camera sized imaging sensors in them and real (not LED) flashes.
    At most, any camera phone camera should be used in sufficient light (daylight) and held as steady as possible for best results.

Battery life on the Hero is much improved over the Pre. From 7Am to 1-2PM the Pre would be down to 20% and asking me to recharge. My Hero is currently at 74% in that same time frame. The was the biggest drawback for me in using the Pre, so I'm very happy the Hero has much better battery life.

Overall I'm thrilled to have made the switch to the Hero. Although I very much enjoyed my Palm Centro for the last two years I feel that Palm dropped the ball on the Pre in terms of build quality and lack of physical navigation buttons. WebOS is great and Palm (like Apple) are the type to look at the small details. Usually. I think that if Palm can release a Pre2 that adds back the physical navigation buttons found on the Treo and Centro, as well as giving the build quality a hero-like overhaul, well that might be enough to bring me back for round two. But until then The Hero seems to be where it's at for me. I've found my happy place.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Good for you?
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    The Pre is not for everyone. The HTC Hero is a nice phone. My Wife is getting one today. The Pre is not what she likes. I personally like my Pre and look forward to all of new features to be added.
    Thank you for your review. I want to hear peoples experiences, especially those that have owned multiple devices. For those of you that feel it's necessary to be mean or sarcastic STOP!! All technology is great to watch grow and sometimes take a set back or not develop the way we expected. Why some think they need to suppress someone else's honest review or opinion is beyond me. We all are going to have our preferences at the end of the day, but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone else. Until I have the perfect all in one device that provides, instantaneous data, voice communication, translation, teleportation, 3D projection, with a fission power supply, I am going to keep reading reviews from those of you nice enough to express your thoughts.
    a bump on the information super highway
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I'm confused. From what I see the Pre allows almost no customization, unless you're willing to hack the phone and use a bunch of unapproved "patches" that break with every new update from Palm. The Hero, on the other hand, allows customization of far more out of the box, and if you do want to hack it you can customize everything, right down to complete packaged ROMs from multiple sources.
    I'm so close to switching to a Hero. I love the fact that the thing is far smoother than the Pre, has more software available, and the level of customizability that I've seen.

As cool as webOS feels, I still get the sense that like the app store, the platform was released as beta. We are NOT seeing a finished OS here and that's what bugs me. Why should I, as an end user, have to perform a hack to:

- Enable LED notifications
    - Perform text forwarding
    - Turn on a virtual keyboard
    - Get a call length in the call log
    - Get timestamps on my messages
    - Get a functional quickdialer
    - Install themes for customization of appearance rather than download them

I mean, this is supposedly a flagship smartphone, and it doesn't even have video recording for christ's sake. My girlfriend's LG Lotus can do that.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    ....Why should I, as an end user, have to perform a hack to:

- Enable LED notifications
    - Perform text forwarding
    - Turn on a virtual keyboard
    - Get a call length in the call log
    - Get timestamps on my messages
    - Get a functional quickdialer
    - Install themes for customization of appearance rather than download them

I mean, this is supposedly a flagship smartphone, and it doesn't even have video recording for christ's sake. My girlfriend's LG Lotus can do that.
    I couldn't agree more!
    Last edited by blz2; 10/29/2009 at 04:56 PM.
  19. JW
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Fine. I'd rather have apps that actually DO make my life easier, not an OS that promises to do so, but doesn't have the app support to actually do it. Don't get me wrong though: I'm not at all convinced the Hero is the best answer, but I know that for me the Pre is the wrong answer. At least for now.
    I certainly understand your opinion. I'm truthfully not much of an app person. When I had my curve the only app I truly downloaded was the Bank of America app. I never felt the need to download other apps.
    i believe everything will improve on the pre from what i heard they are still only using the cpu right . the pre has a gpu as well thats not really being touched as of yet ,from what i have heard.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->