Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    I have not used the hero, but my wife is planning on getting the moment in a couple weeks. Here is my ?. Is the sense UI the same as all other HTC products? If so, that thing sucks compared to the Pre. Also, HTCs terrible build quality is why I own a Pre. 2 diamonds (current is broken after 3 months), about 5 touches, and a constantly frozen TP led me to Palm. That's why my wife is getting the moment instead of the hero.
    The hero is built better than any htc phone I have owned. By the way I had the diamond and never had any problems with it. I also had the touch and the touch pro. Hero build is top notch.
    Why are you spending time here?

Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I knew i made the right decision not to get the Pre after all my buzz was hashed by all that was left out.

Anyway, there's also a Sprint Samsung Andriod slider coming this year as well, so the Hero is not all that is to come to Sprint Android-wise.

I've always liked Android and having played with the G1, i was impressed. In its current iteration, i'm not in love with the Pre hardware that much vs the Hero. I have seen reports of lagginess in early Hero's but there's been a recent update (unreleased but shown on Modaco yesterday) that's made it sooo much snappier.

As for the Pre having zero to no lag...i beg to differ very much.

Hero vs Pre right now, i'll go with Hero and Android.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    I own both the Pre and Hero and here are my thoughts:

Multitasking is much more intuitive on the Pre.
    Browser smoothness, Pre wins.
    Youtube application, Pre wins.
    Customization, Pre wins (for now).

App store, Hero wins.
    UI responsiveness, Hero wins.
    Sense UI, Hero wins.
    Widgets, Hero wins.
    Eye candy, Hero wins.
    Storage capability, Hero wins.
    Trackball, Hero wins.

My biggest gripe with the Hero is the Youtube video quality is absolute ****. Lucky for me, I don't like Youtubing on a small screen, so its not that big a deal. It is a huge pixelized mess. Obviously, the hard keyboard is more functional than a soft keyboard, but for someone who has extensive experience with an iPod touch, touch typing is not a big deal for me. For those who say the Hero is slower than the Pre, try both before you talk. The Hero is far more responsive.

Something about the Pre just rubs me the wrong way, be it the fonts, lack of organization in messaging, absolutely sluggish behavior, AIM SNs not populating correctly, touches either lagging or not registering, so many little things that aren't there out of the box that we come to expect on a high-end device.... I mean come on Palm, no camera zoom? No 3D acceleration? Lag on a CPU comparable to an iPhone 3gs? Pfft, Palm dropped the ball.

Everyone has their own opinion, but the Hero is much more livable for me than the Pre. I may revisit the webOS once they work out the sluggishness and get more apps and 3D acceleration. Until then, you'll see me on the Android forums.
    I've been using the HTC hero since it came out last weekend, and honestly, I am anything but impressed with it.

The build quality seems to be better than that of the Pre, but I really hate using it. Here's why:

-The UI is terrible. It's anything but pleasing to the eye and does not seem logical to me. It gets frustrating at times.

-The battery takes longer to charge than to discharge (a really long charging time), and is not that impressive. My old iPhone 3G does much better with a ton of push notifications.

-The notification system is rather terrible

-The app store seemed to be cluttered with junk, rather than anything useful.

Those are just my .02

I am about to drop AT&T and the iPhone just because of their terrible pricing and quality of service, and I think I'll be trading the HTC for the Pre. I really don't see what I'd be losing by this phone switch other than perhaps some battery life..

I hate leaving the iPhone btw, but I've had enough with AT&T, and the Pre seems a great next phone to have
    Honestly speaking Android is a million times better than Palm Pre...... even with all the hacks and modification Palm Pre can not compete

I wish i would have known about the HTC Hero 3 months ago.
    Anyone wanna buy my Palm Pre & Touch stone Charger $150 OBO?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
    For those of you who replaced your Pre with a Hero, did Sprint make you pay full price to switch?
    also wondering this
    The Hero is running android with it's CPU clocked at 528Mhz. Wait till the Samsung Moment (800Mhz) comes out on Nov 1st. I have 2 lines - one of which is my Pre and the other is an older Treo 755p. I considered getting the Hero but then they announced the Samsung Moment at CTIA and I was impressed with the physical keyboard and faster processor plus the AMOLED screen. I will post a review when I get it on Nov 1st and do a comparison to the Pre
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
    For those of you who replaced your Pre with a Hero, did Sprint make you pay full price to switch?
    unless you are in your 30 days, i would think so, but im sure you can trade the phone in with the buy back program...
    Quote Originally Posted by l0v3mon3y08 View Post
    Honestly speaking Android is a million times better than Palm Pre...... even with all the hacks and modification Palm Pre can not compete

The Hero may seem cool at first, but mark my words: You will see its limitations when you put that processor to the test. The Hero's processor has literally 1/4th the computing capability of the Pre, even if you overclock it like they have. The Hero uses old technology and tries to stretch it. the Pre uses the latest technology with the same processor as the iPhone 3Gs.

You should know HTS's reputation by now. They always have great-looking phones with great features that are always underpowered because of the limiting processors they use. Why do you think their smartphones are notorious for crashing? Look at the touch, mogul, touch pro, touch pro 2, touch diamond, etc. All these phones have problems keeping up with the software that just overloads the processor.

Sorry to break it to you bro., but the Hero comes up a day late and a dollar short. It's not going to be able to compete with the power of the Pre.

But don't take my word for it, just go ask Anand! He is the real genius behind my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by l0v3mon3y08 View Post

It's called craigslist, buddy. And the Pre is an excellent phone. Android has been around more, so its a tad more mature, but I do agree with aasarsak on this one. The Hero is using an outdated 528Mhz Qualcomm 7201A(or some derivative of that). It's slow, hogs power, and if you do start pushing it to its limits, will show its weaknesses. And the calendar app just blows. What ***** at HTC forgot to put in week view? I can't find it as far as I can tell. I will give it to HTC though for creating a very nice UI, but until the Hero is running snapdragon, and hsa the ease of multi-tasking like WebOS, count me out.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    let's see:

1) CES best new device -- prev version of hero was out (only minor changes since)

2) Popular mechaics 10 best inventions -- not one Andriod phone

3) sprint website still shows palm pre as the flagship phone even thoug hero is out.

see ya kiddo, have fun downgrading!
    Quote Originally Posted by mahylo View Post
    1) CES best new device -- prev version of hero was out (only minor changes since)
    I must say that I was slightly disappointed to see that they opted for the conservative route by removing the Jay Leno esque chin.

If you're serious about letting your pre and touchstone go, I'll gladly take them off your hands for you. I'd like to have an extra around to tool with.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aasarsak View Post
    Look at the touch, mogul, touch pro, touch pro 2, touch diamond, etc. All these phones have problems keeping up with the software that just overloads the processor.
    Gee, that's funny. My mogul never crashed, until it took a bath in the cat's water dish; my wife's Mogul never crashed, but is nearly worn out now; my Touch never crashed, and is still very much operational, and very much tweaked.

My Pre just got whacked by the second 1.2.1 update, and I may need to re-activate the Touch until I can get the Pre re-imaged.

I'm thinking I may just recommend a Hero to my wife to replace her Mogul.
    WebOS' biggest downfall is the fact that EVERYTHING is written in JavaScript. JavaScript is SLOW, it requires a phone with the processing power like the Pre, otherwise it would be entirely unusable. I've had the Pre since day one, I've remained optimistic, I'm developing an app, quickly becoming frustrated at the limitations, and quickly losing hope.

Hell, even my 2.4GHz Macbook Pro w/ 4GB of ram has trouble running some JavaScript intense sites.

IMHO, the Hero and Pre run about equal even though the Hero is less powerful. Can you imagine Android on a piece of hardware like the Pre?

I'm not sure what Palm has up their sleeves to allow a more rich user experience, but until something is done to allow native applications we'll never see anything cool like augmented reality apps, games other than checkers and snake (not that I really care about games), etc.

If Android had multitasking capabilities like the Pre (card based or something) and on a piece of hardware like the Pre, it'd be a no-brainer.

Just my $0.02. And fyi, I don't have a Hero but my fiance just picked one up.
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    Gee, that's funny. My mogul never crashed
    Lucky you. I had to take 7 different Moguls back to Sprint because they would keep freezing up and/or crashing and running slowly. Before they made the 8th exchange, they finally ponied up a blackberry curve which was a nice temporary fix until the Pre.

I know a few people who own touch pros who complain about the same problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    IMHO, the Hero and Pre run about equal even though the Hero is less powerful. Can you imagine Android on a piece of hardware like the Pre?
    Actually, there is this guy named Anand who has already done the comparison test. He proves that it is impossible for the Hero to compare to the Pre because the Pre is running a 600 MHz dual issue width ARM Cortex A8 13-stage processor, unlike the Hero which is running the older 528 MHz ARM 11 single issue width 8-stage processor.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aasarsak View Post
    I must say that I was slightly disappointed to see that they opted for the conservative route by removing the Jay Leno esque chin.

If you're serious about letting your pre and touchstone go, I'll gladly take them off your hands for you. I'd like to have an extra around to tool with.
    1 I would love an extra Pre!
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    It's called craigslist, buddy. And the Pre is an excellent phone. Android has been around more, so its a tad more mature, but I do agree with aasarsak on this one. The Hero is using an outdated 528Mhz Qualcomm 7201A(or some derivative of that). It's slow, hogs power, and if you do start pushing it to its limits, will show its weaknesses. And the calendar app just blows. What ***** at HTC forgot to put in week view? I can't find it as far as I can tell. I will give it to HTC though for creating a very nice UI, but until the Hero is running snapdragon, and hsa the ease of multi-tasking like WebOS, count me out.
    I have both phones lying on the table in front of me. I'm not going to give out any recommendations here, just some objective observations:

- the Hero has not been around longer. Both phones were released at about the same time

- both phones offer easy to use, fully functional multi-tasking but the Pre's arrangement of windows makes it easier to see which apps are open

- The Hero's processor is weaker / older. However, since the release of the latest firmware upgrade, there's no noticeable difference in speed when comparing the Hero to the Pre. With one (big) exception: as soon as the Hero is playing music in the background, it slows down considerably. Even more so when it plays music over stereo bluetooth

- the Hero's a lot less buggy when it comes to Google and Exchange integration.

- Android has about 100x as many apps in the market as Palm has in the Pre catalog. Android paid apps are now available in most of the European states as well as in North America while Palm doesn't offer paid apps in Europe.

- The Pre makes better use of the screen estate. Although the screen's even smaller than the Hero's, it looks bigger.

- The Hero's much more customizable than the Pre, which still doesn't let you choose alert tones etc. (the iPhone doesn't either, though).

- The Pre's browser is snappier than the Hero's.

- The Hero's SAR (radiation to the head) value is extremely high, which might bother some people

- The Hero's on-screen keyboard is one of the best in the market. The Pre's keys are somewhat small but still allow for decent typing.

- The lack of a track-ball on the Pre might put off some people

on a personal note: the fact that you can't edit GPRS APNs on the Pre is a total joke.

dakis