Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    I agree with your point there. I have both the Hero and the Pre and used my Hero for a few days and couldn't wait to get my Pre reactivated. I think the Hero is a good phone and deserves it's high marks, but after using the simple UI of the Pre, true multitasking, great e-mail push, better camera, fast browser (Heros browser is SLOOOOW IMO) and yes, even the messaging app, I can't leave my Pre. On the other hand the apps and all the added functions of the Hero are nice. We need to combine both phones into one!! Bottom line, I'm staying with my Pre....for sure.
    Best quote i've seen thus far. I feel the same way. The HERO is an awesome phone, but falls short of the Palm Pre. I think most people are sold on the "new-ness factor" of calling the Hero better than the pre in everything except multi-tasking. I Like android, no doubt. But the phone makes me want to re-activate my pre too. What do others see? Again, i like android a lot, sadly it reminds me a little of windows. Android, to me is what windows should have been, instead of the nightmare it has become.

The browser on the hero is def. slower than pre, even with wifi enabled. If the pre had the form factor of the hero, or samsung moment for that matter it would be dope! I prefer landscape keyboards to portrait anyway. The touch pro had some much potential when it came out. (5 beautiful rows to type on, felt good in hands. Then they killed it with suspect hardware and a windows operating system, damn...) When i browse the net (which i do often) I don't wanna rotate the damn phone or use a virtual keyboard (even though the homebrew keyboard is appreciated . Eagerly awaiting the next palm webOS design (and i don't mean the pixi).
    My yahoo email works fine on the Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    ok...just checked out the Hero and this is the biggest thing I noticed. The youtube video quality blows *****. Check it out for yourself. The PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $crisp$ $and$ $looks$ $normal$...$not$ $pixelated$...$the$ $other$ $thingwas$ $that$ $the$ $navigation$ $through$ $the$ $phone$ $did$ $not$ $seem$ $as$ $intuitive$ $to$ $me$. $I$ $did$ $like$ $that$ $he$ $Hero$ $has$ $wizzie$ $animations$ $throughout$ $navigation$.

That is my 5 min 2 cents from looking at the phone...
    When you load youtube you can hit menu and it will ask you if you want a high quality video. This is convenient when you in a bad coverage area and you want to watch a video. The hero loads YouTube much faster than the pre in low or high quality.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I've had my Pre for a couple weeks but I'm returning it tomorrow for the Hero. The battery life on the Pre is horrible. At least on mine. I don't know how some people are getting good battery life. I hardly use the phone during the day and by 2PM I have to plug it in. By hardly use it I mean I make a few txt messages and maybe listen to one podcast.

I also hate the build quality. Nothing like my old Centro, which was nice and sturdy.

I've only played with the Hero twice. I'll be able to give a better opinion tomorrow. But so far I like it better. I like the real buttons on it and I like the screen and I like the OS. I love the build quality.

WebOS is great, the hardware just isn't there IMO. Come one or two years when I can get a new phone I'll be seriously looking at whatever palm has out then. But for right now the Hero is the phone I want to have in my pocket. The Pre just feels too delicate for taking anywhere. I feeel like I have to treat it with kid gloves. Already my Pre has crumbs and other stuff grinding in the slider. I'm also starting to get the oreo effect. But it's not horrible.

IMO the keyboard on the Pre is nothing to write home about. I'd rather have a good virtual keyboard. I may have only had the Pre for two weeks but I had a Centro with the same keyboard for two years. It's not a bad keyboard, but it's really not that great of a keyboard either compared to a solid virtual keyboard like the Hero seems to have. So I consider that a wash.
    I think we got it. There is another phone out there called the Hero. I had thought that this was a Pre forum. I know if I was thinking of a Hero I would go see one and look through the net for info. Yet there seems to be a lot of people posting of late about this other phone. Has the Pre become boring? Is the Palm Pre not good enough? Enough is enough. It is one thing to say nice being with you all but..... and have a nice one...cya. It is another to go on and on and on...about the Hero.

If this is things to come is it not possible for someone to start a Hero forum.
    If you like the phone then go get it. If you want to sell your pre then sell it. But we should get back to the Pre. The Pre may just be a phone with the software (WebOS) of the future.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    totally agree they should just sign up for the android central forum
    lol, complaining about the talk about the hero then you make a thread about the hero
    Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    lol, complaining about the talk about the hero then you make a thread about the hero
    LOL you caught that... Best title I could think of.

Here is the android central forum link.
    SOunds like someone is either..
    a.insecure/jealous
    b.a jr. mod
    Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    SOunds like someone is either..
    a.insecure/jealous
    b.a jr. mod
    And then there are the stupid post
    lol, Android Central's forums are dead. Android Community however is pretty big.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    I've had my Pre for a couple weeks but I'm returning it tomorrow for the Hero. The battery life on the Pre is horrible. At least on mine. I don't know how some people are getting good battery life. I hardly use the phone during the day and by 2PM I have to plug it in. By hardly use it I mean I make a few txt messages and maybe listen to one podcast.

I also hate the build quality. Nothing like my old Centro, which was nice and sturdy.

I've only played with the Hero twice. I'll be able to give a better opinion tomorrow. But so far I like it better. I like the real buttons on it and I like the screen and I like the OS. I love the build quality.

WebOS is great, the hardware just isn't there IMO. Come one or two years when I can get a new phone I'll be seriously looking at whatever palm has out then. But for right now the Hero is the phone I want to have in my pocket. The Pre just feels too delicate for taking anywhere. I feeel like I have to treat it with kid gloves. Already my Pre has crumbs and other stuff grinding in the slider. I'm also starting to get the oreo effect. But it's not horrible.

IMO the keyboard on the Pre is nothing to write home about. I'd rather have a good virtual keyboard. I may have only had the Pre for two weeks but I had a Centro with the same keyboard for two years. It's not a bad keyboard, but it's really not that great of a keyboard either compared to a solid virtual keyboard like the Hero seems to have. So I consider that a wash.
    Some people make such a big deal about the Pre's physical keyboard, but I found it to be cramped and the keys are very flat. I can type much faster using the iPhone's virtual keyboard and I'm also faster on my Treo 755.

I am also trying to decide between the Pre or the Hero. The lag on the Pre really bothers me. Doesn't it have the same processor as the iPhone 3GS?
    no its flash lite pretty much pointless
    Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
    So a while back when it first launched, I had a Pre. It was pretty nice, but for me it was too 1.0 and I wanted a more veteran phone. So I made the (bad) choice of switching to AT&T for the iPhone. The iPhone is fine and all but where I live now, AT&T service is horrible. I'm talking about dropped calls with 5 bars of service horrible. So I want to switch back to Sprint. I've already sold my iPhone and am now trying to figure out: Pre or Hero?

I know that Palm's released some updates and there's more stuff on the homebrew scene now than in June, and again from my experience the Pre was easy and good to use. The biggest reservations I had with it were the lack of apps (which seems to be slowly changing) and the build quality (I had the oreo issues). Speaking of which, has that been fixed? I also thought the battery life was awful. Has that been addressed as well?

The Hero has the sexy Sense UI, but I find webOS to be just as sexy. It only has a virtual keyboard but I did find the Pre's keyboard quite cramped as well. It has video recording IIRC, but the Pre should get that in a software update right? The Android Market DOES have the advantage of a lot more apps however. Yeah sure I wouldn't be surprised if the majority are crap, but if just 5% of those 10,000 apps are good that's 500 good apps. Plenty more than what I need. Android also seems to be attracting many more developers than webOS. For example, finance management site Mint is making a version of their application for Android but not for webOS.

Another issue is storage space. The Pre is always going to have that tiny 6 or 8GB or whatever it has. No room for expansion. The Hero would let me use a 16GB SD card, which would be nice because my music collection is around 13GB. I could always get a Zune HD for Christmas though, so it's not a giant issue.

So what would you do? What phone should I go for? I'm really worried that webOS is still going to be the redheaded stepchild in the room a year from now, while Android continues to develop strongly.
    Honestly, if you can wait a month...get the Motorola Droid. It will be better than the Hero and the Pre.

Motorola Droid
    -3.7″ 854480 16:9 capacitive touchscreen
    -600 MHz ARM Cortex A8 Processor
    -256 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM
    -16 GB onboard + microSD expansion slot
    -5 MP camera w/ autofocus & LED flash & video recording
    -QWERTY Slider, 13.7mm thick, 3.5mm headphone jack
    -Android 2.0 'Eclair'
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    buy the hero!!! i had the pre since june and i got the hero on friday the 9th. im very impressed and i know the pre is the fastest and best phone around. but the pre lacks many basic fuctionalities that phones in the 2000 had.....no im not going to list this vs that cuz everyone here is so protective of the pre....check my post count i gave the pre a chance, but i could stand the wait an updates on its way to fix that....come palm your bending everyone over.

hurricandc ask yourself this.....if you were buying a new car and the salesman showed you the fastest car on the planet, but it had no steering wheel and the salesman said dont worry theres an update for the steering wheel coming real soon, would you buy it????? didnt think so
    The Wams
    i see it as pointless to switch from the pre to any other phone. ok so it lacks a few features and things you would you think a smartphone should have. but in my opinion.. i think palm left a lot of stuff out purposly. which is why we have mojo.
    i couldnt bring myself to buy the hero.
    1.its ugly
    2.android ui does not "wow" me
    3.i gave up on my samsung instinct because that virtual keyboard thing got old.
    4.i wanted a smaller phone.
    5.i love sliding my pre up to reveal a fully qwerty keyboard.*getting chills just thinking about it* LOL
    those are 5 reasons why i would not get the hero. besides... villains have fun anyway.
  18. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    doublebullout -

While I was checking out the Hero I notice something that sparked a question the Sprint dude could not answer...

Notifications seem to appear in a sort of "drawer" that you pull down from the top of the screen. It even seems to keep a history of them. That's cool! But I never saw any sort of notification alert anywhere except that drawer. Does something pop up to alert you of incoming texts and stuff like that? Or do you have to just open that drawer every so often and check for new notifications?

xtn
    I don't think the discussion is a bad thing. There is an appropriate/designated place to do it in these forums. However I don't understand the need to start 100 new threads every day on it when there are already 100 threads about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    doublebullout -

While I was checking out the Hero I notice something that sparked a question the Sprint dude could not answer...

Notifications seem to appear in a sort of "drawer" that you pull down from the top of the screen. It even seems to keep a history of them. That's cool! But I never saw any sort of notification alert anywhere except that drawer. Does something pop up to alert you of incoming texts and stuff like that? Or do you have to just open that drawer every so often and check for new notifications?

xtn
    In the settings menu, you can set what happens when you get sms, emails, and other notifications. You can play a sound, vibrate, or flash the LED or a combination of them.