Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
    The Samsung Moment looks cool. It is also a Sprint phone. No SenseUI, of course, because it is not an HTC phone.

Samsung's first Android phone for the US. This CDMA smartphone sports a large OLED display with capacitive touch, slide-out QWERTY keyboard, and an optical touchpad. Other features include 3-megapixel auto-focus camera, video capture, 3.5mm audio jack, EVDO Rev. A data, WiFi, memory card slot, and visual voicemail.
    Samsung Moment Specs & Features (Phone Scoop)

Choices, choices, choices...
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    I will concede this point. webOS is beautiful as well as elegant. It just needs more horsepower and deserves a better phone to showcase it.
    I agree with your point there. I have both the Hero and the Pre and used my Hero for a few days and couldn't wait to get my Pre reactivated. I think the Hero is a good phone and deserves it's high marks, but after using the simple UI of the Pre, true multitasking, great e-mail push, better camera, fast browser (Heros browser is SLOOOOW IMO) and yes, even the messaging app, I can't leave my Pre. On the other hand the apps and all the added functions of the Hero are nice. We need to combine both phones into one!! Bottom line, I'm staying with my Pre....for sure.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Core Values: The silicon behind Android

awesome article that sums up my arguement
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    And after reading the blog by the company that made the app Air Hockey, It's even harder to keep the Pre for me.. They had trouble making it run right with sound? Come on...
    Go back to the Palm Pre. there is no limit to what this phone can do. I just started to change the theme on my phone and install patches (thanks to Preware) and i am blowing all of my smartphone using friends out of the water!
    Gotta give credit to HTC and also the Android Line-up , after working as a technician for about 6 years i'd realized HTC is the only company who really builds decent phones, other than Nextels. The quality that goes into their housings, circuit boards, components used, etc are by far the best i've seen. Palm was a close second in the area for being good quality up until the Pre came out. the Centro was a failure with its own issues but i've always said it for a long time, Their gonna disappear if they dont stop using the same software on all their phones. It all goes by what you need in the end. no one can tell you what you need in a phone, its all about what works for you, just need to be aware of the problems with the devices you are considering.

I'm sure they will add features but from experience dont expect the hardware to change much if at all. only very minor band-aids until a new phone it build.
    Quote Originally Posted by breonhowe View Post
    Go back to the Palm Pre. there is no limit to what this phone can do. I just started to change the theme on my phone and install patches (thanks to Preware) and i am blowing all of my smartphone using friends out of the water!
    You don't need Preware or anything else but the Android market to do all that and more on the Hero. That is my biggest dilemma right now with the 2 phones.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    ok...just checked out the Hero and this is the biggest thing I noticed. The youtube video quality blows *****. Check it out for yourself. The PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $crisp$ $and$ $looks$ $normal$...$not$ $pixelated$...$the$ $other$ $thingwas$ $that$ $the$ $navigation$ $through$ $the$ $phone$ $did$ $not$ $seem$ $as$ $intuitive$ $to$ $me$. $I$ $did$ $like$ $that$ $he$ $Hero$ $has$ $wizzie$ $animations$ $throughout$ $navigation$.

That is my 5 min 2 cents from looking at the phone...
    Eh I didn't use the YouTube function much on my Pre when I had it or my iPhone when I had it (just shipped that sucka to the lucky buyer).

Anyone here recently buy a Pre? Has the battery life and build quality improved at all? Back when I had a launch Pre, the battery life was abysmal. I'm talking about it going from 100% to maybe 70% after a few hours with very light usage in an average coverage zone. Sometimes it'd be better but for the most part, I needed to plug it in to the charger whenever I was near it.

And the build quality. Again, my launch Pre had terrible oreo-slider issues. Way too wobbly, like it was some cheap Chinese knock-off (yeah I know it's made in China, but you get my point). Has Palm addressed this in later builds?
    Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
    Eh I didn't use the YouTube function much on my Pre when I had it or my iPhone when I had it (just shipped that sucka to the lucky buyer).

Anyone here recently buy a Pre? Has the battery life and build quality improved at all? Back when I had a launch Pre, the battery life was abysmal. I'm talking about it going from 100% to maybe 70% after a few hours with very light usage in an average coverage zone. Sometimes it'd be better but for the most part, I needed to plug it in to the charger whenever I was near it.

And the build quality. Again, my launch Pre had terrible oreo-slider issues. Way too wobbly, like it was some cheap Chinese knock-off (yeah I know it's made in China, but you get my point). Has Palm addressed this in later builds?
    Honestly, go to the sprint store and try them out, what better experience is that? And to give you and update on the pre battery. I get up at 6:30 got back today at ~ 7:30 and I was at 37% with a lot of use throughout the day. Preeeeetty awesome.

Build quality is pretty rough, i honestly can't stand it and I can't wait until they redesign it to be a horizontal slider and more square shape. However, I just got the touchstone and it gives it a nice boost with the new back, easier to hold, feels good and it doesn't scratch like that ****ty plastic one. I haven't played with a hero yet so I can't suggest one or the other since I havent had experience with both of them.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    We need to combine both phones into one!!
    Yeah I was thinking about this. For me the perfect phone would be like the Hero in build quality with a slide out horizontal keyboard, 3.5" 800x480 screen, 1GHZ or better processor, soft touch back, a real compact camera sensor with flash and a combination of webOS and Android.

I like all the home screens and widgets that Android has. But I also like the card view multitasking of WebOS. I'm wondering if there is a way Palm can integrate that kind of functionality into webOS. Maybe an icon in the dock could be used to switch between card mode and widget home screen mode.

But I also think Palm was short sighted in their lack of real physical buttons outside of the keyboard. Gestures are "neat" but I find myself accidentally setting off one gesture when trying to do another. Like bringing up the application menu rather then swiping up a card for instance. I'd rather have a real back button and real menu button, along with real pickup and hangup buttons. It would also be really handy to have a scroll ball or D-pad like the Treos used to have. I think Palm embraced the touch screen concept too much.

I also think it would be neat if Palm licensed WebOS to other hardware vendors.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I have both phones. After using just the Hero for the last three days travelling, I really miss the keyboard on the Pre. The onscreen keyboard just doesn't do it for me. Also, I like the cards on the Pre. The Pre is simply more intuitive to me I think.

Hero has better battery life, camera and build quality.

Synergy on the Pre is very nice, just start typing and get to where you want.

I'll probably switch back and forth between the two devices for a while before settling on one.
    I like Android quite a lot, but even an optimized clean rom on the G1 was too slow for me. The Moment could be a pretty big deal if the 800mhz processor makes a big difference, although it's still only ARM11.

Then again, I run the Pre between 550-600mhz. The default 500mhz is far too slow for my tastes.

The Hero looks cool, but I don't think I can go back to a virtual keyboard (former iphone user).
    Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    I think Palm embraced the touch screen concept too much.
    Agreed. The home button on the Pre really should have been a scroll ball like on Android phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    ok...just checked out the Hero and this is the biggest thing I noticed. The youtube video quality blows *****. Check it out for yourself. The PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $crisp$ $and$ $looks$ $normal$...$not$ $pixelated$...$the$ $other$ $thingwas$ $that$ $the$ $navigation$ $through$ $the$ $phone$ $did$ $not$ $seem$ $as$ $intuitive$ $to$ $me$. $I$ $did$ $like$ $that$ $he$ $Hero$ $has$ $wizzie$ $animations$ $throughout$ $navigation$.

That is my 5 min 2 cents from looking at the phone...
    i thought the same thing until i switched it from low quality to hq. after that it did rival the pre. although the screen on the pre is by far the best screen i have seen on a phone bar none. i haven't had a chance to test out the navi on it yet. i will be picking one up tomorrow to play with for a while. the pre is a nice concept, but is too slow moving for me. even though i am getting the hero i still love the pre and can't wait to see what they do next
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    To answer your question about build quality, the Pre is still the same. I bought the Pre about 3 weeks ago and it had a little shimmy to it which I was fine with but by week 2 it was bad enough for me to get rid of the phone. I probably could have exchanged it for a new one but I just don't want to have to worry about it. I love WebOS and will probably keep up to date through this forum and hope that sometime down the road Palm comes out with a phone that I can trust.

I have found the Hero to be a pretty good phone. Maybe not up to WebOS but that far off. I keep reading about only have 16 bit colors and a slow processor but I don't notice these when I am on the phone. The colors look good and it doesn't seem to lag as much as the Pre. I miss DrPodder and Feeds from the hombrew, and haven't found anything as good on the Hero yet. The internet is slower but not horribly. But really it came down to build quality. Maybe you get a good one or you can live with whatever you get but for $200 I want something that feels like I spent that kind of money.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    read threads here

http://discussion.treocentral.com/cross-platform-chat/

I wrote a mini review

http://discussion.treocentral.com/cr...-htc-hero.html

Here is more to the review ,

I like few important things in Hero that are missing in Pre.

Voice dialing, Camcorder, SD card slot, Voice activated GOOGLE search.

Hero's big failures are
    Lack of Yahoo email integration ( unless you pay to yahoo for premium service)

Switching between the apps
    General Lag when loading web pages in the browser camera response time is slow
    physical keyboard.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    are you a big texter/emailer......if so you need the pre cause it has a real keyboard......

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    are you a big texter/emailer......if so you need the pre cause it has a real keyboard......
    Not a huge texter, probably around 700 texts a month at most. I find the iPhone virtual keyboard to be alright. Not as great as a physical keyboard for sure but I'm pretty skilled with it.

I'd love the next Palm phone (not the Pixi) to be like the Touch Pro2 and have a big ol' horizontal keyboard.