Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
    to be honest....... probably nothing......both in my opinion are great phones....I feel that the pre is easier to multi task.... if you think that you need an expansion slot...choose the hero... i dont store songs on my pre... i listen to accuradio and pandora.........the choice is yours...................... I made up my mind to keep my pre!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I've definitely made my choice now and I'll be going for the Hero 100%. This choice was made after letting my Pre fully charge last night for a few hours, then unplugging it and waking up this morning to a dead battery. That's just completely unacceptable. I didn't even use it all night long. I was sleeping and it had a full charge. The only possible thing I can think of is that I left bluetooth on but not connected to anything. Even so you'd think it would shut itself off.

I went to the Sprint store today to check out the Hero again and I loved it even more the second time. Very quick and really nice build quality. Love the scroll ball, physical buttons and text reflow in the browser. I also found the virtual keyboard to be really nice.

WebOS is nice, but Palm really needs to start building phones with the same build quality as HTC. By comparison the Pre feels like a toy. It's too bad, I really did like webOS. But Android is also looking really really nice.
  3. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    So I just used my lunch hour to go check out the Hero at the local Sprint store.

It does feel solid. And maybe it's the greatest phone ever created for all I know. But I cannot stand the UI experience. It's not for me.

The Pre is my first smartphone. The Hero, and all the other smartphones until the Pre, personify exactly why I never upgraded my dumbphone before. With the Pre, it is just intuitive. You learn how to pull the launcher up, you learn the back gesture and you learn that there is a context sensitive menu and that's it. Everything works the same. Every setting screen works the same. Every app works the same. Settings specific to an application are handled within that application. The Hero is all kinds of multiple home screens, scattered widgets, clicking home to get to anything else and not knowing if your app was closed or sent to operate in the background, having to leave the email app and drill down through layers of settings menus to find the email account settings, etc.

I know, I know, it does a lot of things better according to several people around here. I don't doubt it. But there is no way in heck I'm choosing that user experience over webOS, oreo slider or not. The hardware on the Pre might not be as sturdy, but whatever usability design team came up with the UI experience on webOS got it right.
    heros are ugly, pre's sleek
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    the hero might be snppy at first, but that processor is probably 3 years old now. I feel like htc bought too many and decided to put it in everything
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbelew View Post
    the hero might be snppy at first, but that processor is probably 3 years old now. I feel like htc bought too many and decided to put it in everything
    Yeah but then again, I can't wait around for the perfect phone. I know in the next six months there are going to be some great Android phones released.

From what I hear I'll qualify for Sprint Premier on my current plan ($70 a month) which means I'll be able to upgrade hardware every year. I don't know how long I have to be on that plan to qualify for Premier. Hopefully it's only a year. If that's true, by this time next year I can get a new phone.

I can definitely live with the Hero for a year (or two). With the battery life I'm getting from the Pre, I wouldn't be able to last another two weeks.
    So a while back when it first launched, I had a Pre. It was pretty nice, but for me it was too 1.0 and I wanted a more veteran phone. So I made the (bad) choice of switching to AT&T for the iPhone. The iPhone is fine and all but where I live now, AT&T service is horrible. I'm talking about dropped calls with 5 bars of service horrible. So I want to switch back to Sprint. I've already sold my iPhone and am now trying to figure out: Pre or Hero?

I know that Palm's released some updates and there's more stuff on the homebrew scene now than in June, and again from my experience the Pre was easy and good to use. The biggest reservations I had with it were the lack of apps (which seems to be slowly changing) and the build quality (I had the oreo issues). Speaking of which, has that been fixed? I also thought the battery life was awful. Has that been addressed as well?

The Hero has the sexy Sense UI, but I find webOS to be just as sexy. It only has a virtual keyboard but I did find the Pre's keyboard quite cramped as well. It has video recording IIRC, but the Pre should get that in a software update right? The Android Market DOES have the advantage of a lot more apps however. Yeah sure I wouldn't be surprised if the majority are crap, but if just 5% of those 10,000 apps are good that's 500 good apps. Plenty more than what I need. Android also seems to be attracting many more developers than webOS. For example, finance management site Mint is making a version of their application for Android but not for webOS.

Another issue is storage space. The Pre is always going to have that tiny 6 or 8GB or whatever it has. No room for expansion. The Hero would let me use a 16GB SD card, which would be nice because my music collection is around 13GB. I could always get a Zune HD for Christmas though, so it's not a giant issue.

So what would you do? What phone should I go for? I'm really worried that webOS is still going to be the redheaded stepchild in the room a year from now, while Android continues to develop strongly.
    okay people say the hero has flash already but will they get the same flash that palm pre will be getting this month or next ?
    I think the answer for most of us on this forum will be the obvious, we would keep the Pre! To each his own though, If you need more than 8GB of storage the the Pre is not for you. WebOs in my opinion will not be as you quoted "the redheaded stepchild". We are getting updates every 2 months thus far & I do not see that stopping any time too soon. Nobody knows for sure but with the apparent success of the Pre in Europe (Initial take off) I think things are looking up. I happen to be a believer in Rubenstein. Upward on onward is what I say. Good luck on your decision.
    First, you have to figure out what you want to use your phone for...

Email...A+ Messaging...A+ Browse the Internet...A Pandora...A+ Phone Calls...A Pre is great for all of this. Not a great gaming platform, but Word Ace, and Card Ace are A+ games. I'm very happy with my Day 1 Pre, no case, no screen protector... No problems, no scratches, no oreos.

Do you want to use it as an ipod replacement with 60GB of music? Don't go with Pre.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    the processor on the hero is sub par. Flash 10.1 is gonna hit the pre first and the pre has the processor to handle it.
    http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...light=Pre+Hero

http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...light=Pre+Hero

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...light=Pre+Hero

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...light=Pre+Hero

...and many others.

Welcome to Pre Central. Thank you for your contribution. Please note that it is polite to do a search before starting a new thread. Multiple threads on this (or any other topic) make it much harder for others, like yourself, to find information. This was covered here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...uncements.html
    Quote Originally Posted by jbelew View Post
    Maybe so, but SenseUI/Android runs great on it. Do bragging rights really matter if the OS has no trouble at all keeping up with you?