Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Any phone under duress has lag.

My blackberry curve, holy cow, when it has had enough of apps being open it just spins that damn hour glass over and over as I struggle to get to the screen to close apps haha.
    Yeah, there is a downside to multi-tasking. With great power comes great responsibility.

I'd also like to mention that the Pre has an entire chunk of processor that it's not using right now. From what I've read on here, Palm is still working on the drivers to use the graphics processor. If they get that working, and allow it to do the animations work of the UI, it could really speed things up.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    there is a new update coming out in two weeks for the hero that has already been tested and will take care of all the lag issues that everyone has spoken of. there is a youtube showing what the update will do. Saw it earlier and it shows a great difference in speed. the hero is going to rock when it drops. If sprint sells it for 200.00 i think it will outsell the pre.....

here is the vid for the update, he says a couple of months but it's coming in a couple weeks. When sprint drops the phone it should be optimized and much faster by then.

I may have missed it, but I didn't hear a single person mention that the Pre has a keyboard and the Hero doesn't. Wasn't this a huge selling point for most people that passed up the iphone over the years in the first place?
    I still enjoy my Pre, and I've somehow managed to get a launch day unit that had only moderate heat issues, very little oreo-ing, a pretty decent battery, and only one or two resets when the slider shuts.

All in all, I've dodged a lot of bullets (and the fact that I've had to dodge so many doesn't speak well for Palm, but I digress).

That being said, if Palm doesn't fix the ABYSMAL phone app, I'm seriously thinking of jumping to the Hero.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I will be taking a serious look at the Hero when it comes out. Not that I hate the Pre, love it, but the OS of Android is out of control right now and gets better. Hoping the Pre can get there soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    More over SPEED WILL BE THE MUST HAVE FEATURE for the next two years or so.
    yeah apple's 3GS campaing created that and its working quite well.

I think Pre commercials need to talk about speed, like peed of switching apps when they are all open or speed between sending text and email while listening to music.
    It would be a horrible idea for Palm or Sprint to advertise the "speed" of the Pre in its current state. Between the Phone app, the phone boot up time, and various other random lags and bugs...it just isn't there.
    The phone boot time is average. Restart a blackberry if you want SLOW.

Good thing I've had to restart it about 3 times since i've had it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    The phone boot time is average. Restart a blackberry if you want SLOW.

Good thing I've had to restart it about 3 times since i've had it.
    No, it's NOT average. Start an HTC Diamond, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, a Palm Centro, Palm Pre and an HTC G1.

Keep in mind that the Pre and iPhone 3GS have the most powerful hardware of the batch.

Pre will finish DEAD last. Just because Blackberries can be worse off doesn't mean the Pre start up time isn't a complete joke.
    the pre takes exactly one minute longer to turn on vs my sprint diamond. not that bad really. The pre definetly doesn't have to be reset as much as my diamond so it's not that bad.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Me too - aside from slow opening of apps and emails, the Pre is fast enough for me. IT's just the hardware that gives me second thoughts every time I use it.

**they need to make the next WebOS phone FEEL EXPENSIVE, because it is expensive, and so are the data plans** Many of the competing devices from other vendors feel expensive and solid, and that goes a long way with consumers, IMO. Got that Palm? It should feel like a Bentley, not like a Yugo.
    I was actually just thinking about this the other day.

I really like my Pre, but if a better model came along, I would probably consider switching.

Oh, and I would love to have a full QWERTY keyboard again rather than this itty bitty keyboard. Unfortunately, the only other PDA's that have that option are Windows Mobile phones.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    If I could get this on the Sprint network, I'd be on it in a heartbeat!

pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
    If I could get this on the Sprint network, I'd be on it in a heartbeat!

Do you mean this? Ms Kady.
    Samsung InstinctQ Pictures Leak! | Android Phone Fans

And has anyone seen this. It could be like a hero (if you put a rom or theme on it) but with a keyboard. This is a contender too!
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by murdermajig View Post
    Do you mean this? Ms Kady.
    Samsung InstinctQ Pictures Leak! | Android Phone Fans

And has anyone seen this. It could be like a hero (if you put a rom or theme on it) but with a keyboard. This is a contender too!
    Ooh...I like that! I'd have to see it in person and what its capabilities are, but looks like a good contender.

Does Sprint make you pay full price if you switch to a different phone?
    that's the design the pre should have had. what I mean by that is the keyboard should have slid out sideways giving us a bigger keyboard with shortcut keys. if they put a onscreen keyboard that would make the design perfect letting you type in portrait.
    That samsung is supposed to be a high end device with a good processor and OLED display. We'll see once the final specs get released but nothing official that I have seen yet.

You could put sense UI on there if you root it.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    that's the design the pre should have had. what I mean by that is the keyboard should have slid out sideways giving us a bigger keyboard with shortcut keys. if they put a onscreen keyboard that would make the design perfect letting you type in portrait.
    I completely agree. In fact, I was on the fence about the Pre at first for this reason, but in the end decided that the pros outweighed the cons. I also did not know that the Pre did not have an on screen keyboard until after I got the phone. Overall the Pre is still a great phone but could definitely use some improvements. Then again, no phone is perfect.
    I don't think the Pre is slow at all. The GUI can get choppy, but that's probably because they haven't implemented hardware acceleration yet, which I am sure is coming in a software update. (build graphic drivers is not rocket science)
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast