Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    This guy started a thread about switching from a Pre to Hero.

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...-got-hero.html
    I am intereted in the issue from others in general, not just one dude. And again, I cannot help the fact his title isn't clear. No where does it say "switched" in the title. And I have filed this in the CDMA forum where it belongs.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by clack View Post
    how many swapped the pre for the hero?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    I am not reasonsible ...
    Did you really want to say that?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    really I thought it was 33844
    I figured out how many switched. Here is my equation:

ξ2(ξ2 + 1)f " + 2ξ(ξ2 + γ)f' � + γ(γ − 1)f = 0
    I went to bestbuy today.......... NOPE
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Well, the most compelling phones on Sprint are the Pre and the Hero. I am certainly watching the Andriod forms ...

But the Pre has not been without fault and there is a different perspective to be had here.
    understood.

my perspective is nope Pre isn't perfect. In lots of areas i find in painfully sloppy.

the biggest drawbacks for me for with the hero are No Flash, No keyboard, and android itself. the first two are two major reasons i got a pre. Plus i don't particularly find Android attractive looking. it's better in black then with the white menu bar but the icons are ugly. And i will say if i get a non-physical keyboard phone right now i'd get an iphone hands down because it's just got a wealth of apps and unlike the Pre it has a top notch music player. i still need my ipod even with my pre because the music player doesn't measure up to my standards which is, be 95% as good as a real ipod.

oh another big thing is i'm not fond of the interface htc throws over stuff. i used it on the diamond and it wasn't intuitive or that great. looks good but i wasn't fond of flipping individual emails and individual photos. now not sure hero is like that but part of it i didn't like.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 10/13/2009 at 09:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    understood.

my perspective is nope Pre isn't perfect. In lots of areas i find in painfully sloppy.

the biggest drawbacks for me for with the hero are No Flash, No keyboard, and android itself. the first two are two major reasons i got a pre. Plus i don't particularly find Android attractive looking. it's better in black then with the white menu bar but the icons are ugly. And i will say if i get a non-physical keyboard phone right now i'd get an iphone hands down because it's just got a wealth of apps and unlike the Pre it has a top notch music player. i still need my ipod even with my pre because the music player doesn't measure up to my standards which is, be 95% as good as a real ipod.
    I assume by NO FLASH, you mean the camera right? Because the hero shipped with Flash player support.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I have both for now, and man, its a tough call.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Which just happens to be Cisco's default priority level for Spanning Tree on their switches.

Just saying.

Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Man, I've had the Pre for nearly two weeks now and I really do think WebOS is great. I'm just not happy with the Pre itself. I love the look, but the build quality is not for me. I'm also really missing real buttons for picking up and hanging up calls. I really wish palm would have kept the standard nav buttons and arrow pad found on the Centro and Treo's. But, what do you do.

Those things aside, the battery life of the Pre is what is really driving me over the edge.

I'm about 99% sure I'm switching to a Hero. But there is still that chance I may stick with the Pre. I know this is kind of an odd question, but.. what does the Pre have that sets it above the Hero? I'm pretty sure I've checked everything out, weighed out all the differences. But is there anything about the Pre or WebOS itself that has kept anyone else here from switching to a Hero or other Android phone?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    the pre will get flash first and has a much better processor. As cool as android is, its nowhere near as responsive as the pre. My opinion is that the hardware is the difference. I think the older qualcomm processors suck. When they put android with a good processor, that willl be the phone to get. Just drop your phone for the first time and you will stop worrying about the build quality. Flash is gonna be fun and androids gonna get it eventually, but it looks like the pre will get it first
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Hero already has flash
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    you say battery life is a problem. Have you tried a touchstone, or anything to help with battery life? I never get off my pre for the most part and the touchstone makes all the difference for me
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwang View Post
    Hero already has flash
    not real flash, and the processors gonna have a hard time when the real flash comes
    everything.
    how can we tell you what ur gonna miss?...but if I had to give up pre for hero I would miss the physical keyboard, gestures, cards, synergy, size, browser, precentral, preware, and just the overall vibe of rocking a pre!
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    one thing I hated about android, was that it was really hard to tell, and manage what apps were running in the background, and which ones weren't.

Some would close when you back out. Some stayed running. Some stayed running, but got killed automatically when you opened up a new task (as it'll only keep 5 tasks running at once), or something. some apps froze and ate all your battery while hogging CPU in the background, etc.

The UI has made a few improvements, but the polish is not there. It has a ways to go before catching up with iphone/webOS.

The G1 hardware was even worse than the pre, but I'm not sure how the Hero is so I can't say. I'm curious though - why is the sprint "hero" different from the other htc hero? The non-sprint GSM/European hero looks considerably better to me..

I heard snes9x runs quite well on android though, and scummVM when I had it ran wonderfully. Oh, and quake was awesome, and very playable (i played through 3 of the 4 worlds on the G1). How much longer until scummVM comes out for webOS?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Sprint HTC Hero thoughts : Boy Genius Report

read that. And flash 9 on the hero is junk. Flash 10.1 is where its at.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    how can we tell you what ur gonna miss?...but if I had to give up pre for hero I would miss the physical keyboard, gestures, cards, synergy, size, browser, precentral, preware, and just the overall vibe of rocking a pre!
    Sorry I should have worded it better. I was trying to get an idea of differences you guys would miss if you switched.

Gestures are one of the things about the Pre I don't like. I'd rather have physical buttons. There are many times I have to perform a gesture multiple times before it works. Such as going "back".

Quote Originally Posted by kertong View Post
    one thing I hated about android, was that it was really hard to tell, and manage what apps were running in the background, and which ones weren't.
    That does have me concerned. I really like the card view in WebOS. But I've also had some issues with homebrew apps on the pre not fully closing and preventing new cards from opening.

Quote Originally Posted by kertong View Post
    The G1 hardware was even worse than the pre, but I'm not sure how the Hero is so I can't say. I'm curious though - why is the sprint "hero" different from the other htc hero? The non-sprint GSM/European hero looks considerably better to me.
    Honestly I felt the same way at first. Even signed a petition to asking Sprint to carry the original Hero design. But after checking out the new one in person it's actually very nice looking and solid feeling. I'm now preferring it to the chin model.

Quote Originally Posted by jbelew View Post
    Sprint HTC Hero thoughts : Boy Genius Report

read that. And flash 9 on the hero is junk. Flash 10.1 is where its at.
    I believe it. I've watched a ton of videos on both phones for months.

Quote Originally Posted by jbelew View Post
    not real flash, and the processors gonna have a hard time when the real flash comes
    Yeah that is another concern of mine about the Hero, the processor. Part of me thinks maybe I should just return the Pre and go back to my Centro while sitting on my old Sprint plan for a few months and see if any better Android phones emerge in that time. Problem is I could say that at any time about any phone. Truth is I'm not a power user. I do very little web browsing. Phone calls, txt messaging and music/podcast playback are my biggest uses. As well as using my phone as an alarm clock. But even with that light amount of usage my Pre only last me half a day before needing a recharge. Otherwise I think the Pre would feel harder to part with.