Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Am I the only one who sees that a positive for the Pre is aesthetics? The Hero is so drab and it's UI is fug.

The Pre, on the other hand, looks like zen and mod phone with the functional yet easy-on-the-eyes UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by uscbucsfan View Post
    It could be just his phone...does your touch screen not respond sometimes? I had to push things more than once a couple times.
    MIne has no issues at all. Haven't found any defects.

To the above poster*
    The hero is much nicer in hand than on video. I like the design and its comfortable in my hand. I can text while I drive now too. Quick responses with the pre was horrible with one hand.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laithal View Post
    Am I the only one who sees that a positive for the Pre is aesthetics? The Hero is so drab and it's UI is fug.

The Pre, on the other hand, looks like zen and mod phone with the functional yet easy-on-the-eyes UI.
    I agree the phone is one of the coolest looking phones I have seen. I love how it looks and how it feels in my hand, especially with the slider closed. But it loses most of these points every time I pick it up and feel the "oreo" and it takes 1-3 times to get the power button to work. I want a phone that will last the year I need it and right now I worry the Pre's ability to do so.
    Here are my 2 cents:

I bought the pre about a month after release. When I received it I had the second build and it was great until my screen cracked while charging. Sprint worked with me and got me a replacement device and waived the $100 replacement fee. I received the replacement the very next day and has a great build. No oreo effect, no lag on swipes or key press response. I customized it and it does take a bit more than the Hero to customize but all I did is installed Preware and everything else followed.

I played with the Hero and is a great device but after having the Pre the OS on the Hero just does not seem so elegant as WebOS. The pictures were less quality and it took forever to take a picture. It reminded me of the HTC Touch Pro yuck!!!

Anyway bottom line is HTC Hero is a great device and has a bunch of apps. That being said the Palm Pre is way more elegant and responsive to me.

#1 Sprint phone Palm PRE
    #2 Sprint phone HTC Hero
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by laithal View Post

I really appreciate well-designed products, too. The Pre is unmatched in this respect compared to other cellphones. The hardware design is stunning -- the integration of the screen, gesture area, and phone casing is unlike anything else. webOS is elegant and simple to use. The aesthetics of the Pre are a clear win over the Hero.

But is aesthetics enough? The Pre's hardware feels fragile. webOS is neither as fast nor as efficient as the PalmOS it replaces. There's no denying that PalmOS has become stale and unexciting. But whatever its aesthetic shortcomings, PalmOS is still a far better PDA platform than webOS. IMO, that's where Rubenstein's influence on Palm has been a major negative.

So how does Android compare to webOS? I hope that my local Sprint store has a demo Hero for me to test today. The SenseUI "scenes" feature and the ability to customize them has me intrigued. webOS' "cards" paradigm is more elegant, to be sure. But if I my calendar, e-mail, tasks, and contacts are always just a swipe away as a "Work" scene and I can switch to a "Play" scene or "Travel" scene to change all the available widgets with just a couple of taps, WOW. That's the kind of efficiency and speed I'm really looking for.
    Last edited by doublebullout; 10/11/2009 at 09:21 AM.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    I tried one today at Best Buy. Definitely a great phone. I'd say it does some things better, while the Pre does some things better. All in all there's really not any Hero features that I can't wait for in 9 months (Sprint upgrade) when the next round of even more advanced phones come.

One thing no other phone can beat at the moment is my awesome Touchstone car charger set up.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    How many swapped the Pre for the HERO?

The only problem I saw hardware wise is the rocker panel they use (the bronze colored piece where the buttons are). That seems a little flimsy and a possible large route for dust/moisture to enter the phone. But I'd have to take it apart and the sprint store would not have been amused at that. Certainly, the build quailty of the Hero is light years ahead of Palm.

The back cover also seemed flimsier than the myTouch.
    Last edited by Clack; 10/13/2009 at 04:14 PM.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    considering this is a pre forum i'd guess very few. maybe a better question for an android forum. As if you switched why would you still be in the pre forum? not that i'm asking you to leave. I'm just saying if you have an android phone you may be poking around the android forum.
    Without a physical keyboard, I just dont see how the Hero can compete with the Pre..
    I had a chance to play with one. I was not impressed. Maybe when the moment comes around, but I doubt it. I'm in love with the cards interface!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Sounds like an expensive waste of money. I think I will be waiting till the new year when phones that are actually new come out.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    no multi-tasking, no thanks.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    no multi-tasking, no thanks.
    Andriod on the Hero is fully multi-tasking. Andriod is built around Linux and the GNU software tool chain just as teh Palm Pre is.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I am asking about people who _switch_ not so much a comparison between the two phones.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    considering this is a pre forum i'd guess very few. maybe a better question for an android forum. As if you switched why would you still be in the pre forum? not that i'm asking you to leave. I'm just saying if you have an android phone you may be poking around the android forum.
    Well, the most compelling phones on Sprint are the Pre and the Hero. I am certainly watching the Andriod forms which will apparently see an influx of SideKick users as well.

But the Pre has not been without fault and there is a different perspective to be had here.
    I know...but if you search there are threads about that as well...I was just showing some examples. The less of the Hero threads the easier it will be for folks to find the info they need. There has been over 10 new ones today.

Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    I am asking about people who _switch_ not so much a comparison between the two phones.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I know...but if you search there are threads about that as well...I was just showing some examples. The less of the Hero threads the easier it will be for folks to find the info they need. There has been over 10 new ones today.
    I am not responsible for folks who start threads that don't ask what I am asking.
    Last edited by Clack; 10/13/2009 at 05:47 PM.
    This guy started a thread about switching from a Pre to Hero.

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...-got-hero.html
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I came sooooooo close (imagine Brett Farve in Sears commercial ) to making the switch (already on my 3rd Pre in my first month of service), but in the end decided I was willing to take the chance with the hardware, with insurance of course I just found WebOS more to my liking (not better just more to my liking), I prefer the physical keyboard, and I much prefer the screen images on the Pre even if it is a little cheaped out by being plastic, not glass.

I still have 2 days to change my mind so still a very slight chance I'll make the switch.