Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Quite simply, no interface I've used has worked so intuitively and elegantly as WebOS. Apps and polishing are details that will be seen to, regardless of brand. I'd drop the dime on an upgraded WebOS phone without hesitation; however, any purchase that does not work to usurp the cards metaphor of multitasking and overall flow of the WebOS UI would seem to me a step backwards.

Some thoughts:

Device GB mean very little to me when so many apps (Ampache for example) work to stream content directly. Especially with Flash support coming within the next months, I see little reason to use up your space with media; leaving 8gb seemingly vast.

Most important functions (ie. Cut&Paste, Tethering, MMS/Audio&Video, Camera/Video Recording etc) are shared across platforms. Those features not readily available on any device currently will eventually find fruition as companies compete in ideology. Eventually functionality will converge across platforms.

Palm is a company more deserving, and more in need of, your dollar. We modern generations often forget that theres a personal, even moral, worth in sticking by a company or business' ideology and products.
    blair, is that the Sprint Hero you are talking about? If so, is it already available somewhere?
    I really love my palm pre and everything about it I really do but I am debating this heavily. And why is palm more deserving? Google has developed a great OS with android and they are a great company.
    Buy what has what you want/need.

Nice thoughts jc, but I didn't buy a Pre.
    I don't purchase to help a company.
    I have what I have because it has what I want/need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    I really love my palm pre and everything about it I really do but I am debating this heavily. And why is palm more deserving? Google has developed a great OS with android and they are a great company.
    Where are you coming up with the why is Palm more deserving? No one tries to get people to not switch. They just give their opinion/ preference when people ask about comparisons.

I personally don't know anything about the other phone, haven't read the specs and don't care to. I already have a phone/pda and don't care to learn a new phone.

I'm also one of those people who believes my kids when they say Macs are great, but I'm not willing to buy one for myself and start a new learning curve or buy all the new software.

Again my preference. I had the old PalmOS and didn't see anything until WebOS that I thought would be user friendly and handle my productivity, instead of toy, needs.
    Well I want a keyboard. But Hero doesnt have one. And I want apps and Hero has a lot more. I want recording and Hero has that. But I want flash and Hero doesnt have it. I love the expandable memory but I also LOVE webOS so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Well I want a keyboard. But Hero doesnt have one. And I want apps and Hero has a lot more. I want recording and Hero has that. But I want flash and Hero doesnt have it. I love the expandable memory but I also LOVE webOS so far...
    Okay, you got me at keyboard. Now I know there's no reason for me to even look up the specs on the Hero. BTW, the Pre doesn't have flash either.
    Camera flash.
    I'd wait and see what Motorola comes out with.

The Cliq is already faster than the Hero and has a keyboard. And it's their entry level phone, better ones are on the way.
    **** motorola no way would I buy one with android on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Okay, you got me at keyboard. Now I know there's no reason for me to even look up the specs on the Hero. BTW, the Pre doesn't have flash either.
    I have to preorders for this phone, but i'm not sure if i'm going to go for it, I've fallen in love with the Pre. for the past year I was on an omnia with a soft keyboard, and all i can say is YUCK! i hated typing on that thing...I'll give the hero a try when it's instore since it has a multitouch screen, which is supposed to be better for typing...but it better be good! this is kililng me!

Chris S
    My 2-year upgrade with Sprint is Nov. 1 and I can't decide which phone to go with. WebOS is beautiful and works great but I love how customizable the Sense UI is, and how much flexibility it offers. Apps aren't a big concern of mine, considering I've HEARD 90% of the android apps available are garbage, so having 8000 apps isnt a big deal if they mostly suck.

What I am wondering that I can't seem to find the answer to...how is multitasking done on Android? Maybe someone who has used a G1 or Mytouch can fill me in.
    What do you mean how is multitasking done? It pretty much isnt. I couldnt really multitask with my G1. You can but its not NEARLY as nicely done as the Pre. I used to have a G1 before my iphone.
    Oh gotcha. I just watched some Donut (android 1.6) videos and they show off multitasking. So I guess its being added.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I'm considering it, but I'll want to play with in the store first.

Big + for the Pre is the physical keyboard, I don't like onscreen keyboards very much.

Big + for the Hero is that the build quality looks much better. I'm not saying that the Pre is falling apart, but it also doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
    The Samsung Moment will be released on Nov. 1st. That's the Android phone with a keyboard. It also have an 800mhz processor. But it is just a basic Google phone - it will have the "with Google" label.

I'm sticking with the Hero because I don't like physical keyboards,I like the Sense UI and I'm worried about Exchange support with a "with Google" phone.

Edit: The phone will cost $179.99 with a 2-year contract and MIR. It will require an Everything Data plan.
    Last edited by slbailey1; 10/07/2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I'm really torn on the Hero. I love the Pre's gestures, and the multitasking implementation but the Hero's build quality and widgets (love the integrated contacts manager) have me thinking seriously about the switch, which will be 4 days before my 30 day trial period ends.

However with Palm giving the go ahead to open source apps, the scale just shifted back to the Pre, that is until I see some other really cool thing on the Hero.

EDIT: Nevermind, after what I just saw about color depth on the Hero I'm sticking wirh my Pre - I still think its the best screen out there.

Man sometimes having choices really sucks
    this situation stinks! torn is not even the word for this!

!!!!!

Chris S.
    if the screen is keeping what made the deciding factor then I would say that your really not comparing the phones. Have you seen how much apps are in the app store. I paid less for the madden game on my ipod then some of the crap that's being pushed in the lame app store. Sorry to be blunt but I expected better and the prices sealed the deal for me. Android apps are usually less then 3 bucks and way better than the stuff we have in the app store.

I think the Pre has potential but if its going to come down to choosing games for the Pre and any other leading platform then I say bye bye Pre. I don't only play games but when there is nothing compeling to buy...what do you do. All the standard stuff the Pre has, the hero has.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    @THETRUTH

I don't really play games and I really only need "basic" apps - the only apps I'm missing from my iPhone days are the astronomy app and Galcon. I care about the screen b/c of the picture quality of wallpapers and overall look and feel of the OS images.

I agree that for some the Pre just doesn't work, but for me the functionality is almost perfect - assuming of course it stays in one piece If Palm could integrate the contacts app with other apps ala Hero it would be 100% of what I need instead of the 95% it is now.