Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    What I read about multi touch is that it works for the native htc apps including pinch to zoom for the browser, but not for any other apps, including google's own google maps program. Will try to find that article and post it...if anyone knows othewise, please post.
    I would think to expect to see pinch and zoom on everything from Android going forward now that Google's Eric Schmidt is no longer on Apple's board.
    Wow, he said the Hero has a glass screen, is that true?

meyerweb: the cnet video above states that the Outlook support also does include sync of Calendar and Contacts.
    Last edited by ronnienyc; 09/17/2009 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    IMO what is interesting about the hero vs.Pre: Hero has:
    ~hopefully more stable hardware!
    ~5mp camera with AF
    ~1500 battery!
    ~bucket load of apps and will always have more due to ammt of phones
    ~backing of Google: no chance Android will disappear in a year or two
    ~activesync (free with phone)
    ~tethering w/o need for rooting
    ~horiz and landscape keyboard and usage
    ~proper copy and past of anything
    ~trackball
    ~app loading and responsiveness look superior to Pre:

~gmail integration, etc.

Sure, the Pre will have some of these things soon, but not the most important ones IMO: stable hardware, high capacity battery, 8000+ apps, backing of Google!

If Palm has some more stable handsets in the works, then they should leak some photos ASAP before there is a stampeed to the HERO/Cliq/etc.

Pete: what do you feel the Pre has that the HERO does not aside from the keyboard (which has not stopped too many people from buying the aPhone) and a cheaply made slider?
    Would like to add Camcorder, Landscape keyboard, and a Indicator light for notifications.

There may be more but thats all I can think of atm.

I do agree if Palm has a non slider in works gimme some pics now because I love the OS and a few tweaks makes it a great phone but I can't stand the small keyboard. Plus the wigglyness of slider.

meyerweb: the cnet video above states that the Outlook support also does include sync of Calendar and Contacts.
    Heard glass screen too... Was curious about that myself. Can't wait to try this thing irl.

Edit... Just found this http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/09/17...o-from-sprint/

Recommends it over the Pre. Surprising as other I read says not as good as Pre.
    Last edited by Cheeko318; 09/17/2009 at 01:06 PM.
    i had a Pre and am gonna get a Hero cuz the sad difference is

Pre....

-apps? coming in due time.....
    -camcorder? coming in due time.....
    -openGL webGL, or better SDK? coming in due time (maybe).....
    -things like text forwarding, and other basic features? coming in due time.....
    -indicator light? coming in due time.....
    -flash support? coming October maybe.....

Hero....

-apps? got it NOW
    -camcorder? got it NOW
    -robust SDK and openGL support? got it NOW
    -indicator light? got it NOW
    -flash support? got it NOW

Pre: I got a capacitive screen with multitouch
    Hero: me too...

Pre: i can multitask

Pre: I have non intrusive notifications

Pre: i have a 600MHZ CPU thats better than yours HA!!!
    Hero: isnt it underclocked to 500MHZ?? Do you do openGL??
    Pre: ............. leave me alone!!

Hero: Do you have a true customizable desktop with shortcuts and robust widgets??
    Pre: ummmm.... i can change 4 buttons if thats what you mean
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    i had a Pre and am gonna get a Hero cuz the sad difference is

Pre....

-apps? coming in due time.....
    -camcorder? coming in due time.....
    -openGL webGL, or better SDK? coming in due time (maybe).....
    -things like text forwarding, and other basic features? coming in due time.....
    -indicator light? coming in due time.....
    -flash support? coming October maybe.....

Hero....

-apps? got it NOW
    -camcorder? got it NOW
    -robust SDK and openGL support? got it NOW
    -indicator light? got it NOW
    -flash support? got it NOW

Pre: I got a capacitive screen with multitouch

Pre: i can multitask

Pre: I have non intrusive notifications

Pre: i have a 600MHZ CPU thats better than yours HA!!!
    Hero: isnt it underclocked to 500MHZ?? Do you do openGL??
    Pre: ............. leave me alone!!

Hero: Do you have a true customizable desktop with shortcuts and robust widgets??
    Pre: ummmm.... i can change 4 buttons if thats what you mean

thats funny s h i t!!!! i couldnt agree more!!!! LACKING BASIC FUCTIONALITY!!! come on palm, u had the world on thier knees when u debut the phone and now that people all have it and keep hearing COMING SOON>>>NEXT UPDATE>>>> BLA BLA BLA. people are wise and will now jump ship to the hero!!! HERO + ANY MOBILE, ANYTIME = BAD A S S!!!! good for you sprint!!!
    The Wams
    Snore......................................
    Looks good. I just got my third pre and depending on 1.2 in 27 days I will return the pre for this.
    I just dont like the build of the pre and the software is too slow.

That's good to see. Thanks.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I have one suggestion for those who are ready to jump (the Pre) ship and grab a Hero on day one: WAIT!

The grass is always greener..... But right now all we know is the good things about the Hero. It'll take real users and a week or two to find out what it doesn't do well. Remember how great the Pre looked on June 5th?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Speaking as someone who needs to have a reliable phone first and foremost, the question for me will be how the reception on the Hero is on Sprint.

I wouldn't even be looking away from my Pre if the call reception was fairly reliable.

But it I get almost everything I love on the Pre with a phone that doesn't drop my calls, I'll happily switch.

Fix this in 1.2, Palm. I don't want to leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I have one suggestion for those who are ready to jump (the Pre) ship and grab a Hero on day one: WAIT!

The grass is always greener..... But right now all we know is the good things about the Hero. It'll take real users and a week or two to find out what it doesn't do well. Remember how great the Pre looked on June 5th?
    agreed. i sold my pre cuz i was fed up with some things it could not do but a LOVED everything else in webOS and went back to WinMo..... YUCK!!! After experiencing WebOS i could not stomach WinMO no matter what ROM, theme, interface, tweak etc. i used....

the Hero is looking like the GOD of devices as of now but im gonna wait a little and see the reviews. If it looks good, ill get one in a heartbeat. If it doesn't, ill get another Pre and wait it out..... (feature-wise)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    There's already reviews coming out for the Sprint version and they're pretty good ... I will say, my biggest deciding factor is the build quality of the Hero, and if I can finally get a Pre with no issues before then.
    The hero will be solid. I am sure. Here are some reviews of the new sprint hero. Sorry to say but their saying to get it over the pre. Straight from the reviewers

Android Phone Fans Sprint HTC Hero

Review: HTC Hero from Sprint

Sprint Hero Review: Faster, Stronger, Uglier - Sprint htc hero review - Gizmodo
    I was lucky enough to spend some time with the new HTC Hero today, yes the Sprint one. It was only about 10 minutes or so of playing. After I put it down I was relieved to go back to my Pre.

Right off the bat I noticed the screen is not as vibrant as the Pre's. The screen is kinda tucked under a piece of glass instead of flush like the Pre's. This caused a decent amount of unwelcomed glare as I played with it.

I did a little web browsing and the speeds were great, but zooming in and our by pinching seemed like much more of a chore than the Pre. It was not quite as responsive. The book marks are great and so are the tabs, but I find the Pre to be much much easier to use. I kept trying to perform the back gesture to go back! Not used to hardware keys anymore.

Speaking of keys, I used to have the first HTC Touch so I didnt think I'd mind the virtual keyboard. But man, the physical keyboard has spoiled me! The spelling correction and copy/paste functions were great. But it's impossible to type at a decent speed.

The Sense UI is fantastic. Really just reminded me of having a bunch of cards that are always open. It was great having a snappy month view calendar right there. But it got kinda boring, its just like shuffling cards. If I had more time to play and customize the phone maybe I would have enjoyed it more.

The camera is 5mp but i took a few shots and decided that my Pre takes better pics even though the Hero has a nice auto focus.

All in all, I thought I'd be buying this phone in Oct when it came out but nah. I'll stick with my Pre! Like I said I was glad to have my Pre back in my hands after giving up the Hero! PLus I'm excited for all the updates and what the Pre is capable of.

PS. I miss my universal search
    Last edited by presidentstu; 09/19/2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: More
    good glad to hear that !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I've said it before. These two phones are very different and will entertain different audiences. The pre is good at what it does and the hero does what it does. I guess I am a htc fan so the hero catches my eye, but its gonna be hard to let go of the pre. Now that we have themes and the update and app catalog coming. I really have to do a hands on test side by side.

I love the multi tasking on the pre and its gonna be hard to let it go. Thanks for the info though. Nice to know someones opinion of using it other than web reviewing websites. By the way..I think the hero does have universal search...its a widget
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I've said it before. These two phones are very different and will entertain different audiences. The pre is good at what it does and the hero does what it does. I guess I am a htc fan so the hero catches my eye, but its gonna be hard to let go of the pre. Now that we have themes and the update and app catalog coming. I really have to do a hands on test side by side.

I love the multi tasking on the pre and its gonna be hard to let it go. Thanks for the info though. Nice to know someones opinion of using it other than web reviewing websites. By the way..I think the hero does have universal search...its a widget
    Agree to the Fullest! My friends always ask me to compare my phone to the iPhone. I think both are excellent and I am sure the Hero will be great as well. Try them all out and see which is best for you.
    What did you think about build quality? Also, where did you see the phone? At a dealer?