1.    #1  
    Found them at Best Buy. (Had I bought it just yesterday I could have saved $15! ) It is a little harder to read than the VDx but with the back light on it works just fine. Of course, my home isn't really well lit.

I haven't installed any of the software to check it out because I figured out (after waiting 4 hours for the charge to complete) that the IR beam isn't working. So far, my first experiences are not happy ones. I will be taking it back tomorrow to exchange for another. Hopefully the replacement will work properly.

You can imagine my disappointment after staring at it for 4 hours while it charged its batteries...admiring its classy look...

Teri
    Wait, don't rush to return it. I had the same problem with my 760C, I charged it and the IR was not working. I called tech support, he had me do a soft reset and that solved my problem. Try that first!
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by maddog
    Wait, don't rush to return it. I had the same problem with my 760C, I charged it and the IR was not working. I called tech support, he had me do a soft reset and that solved my problem. Try that first!
    Well, funny you should say that.... I woke up this morning and the first thing that came to mind before I rolled out of bed was...I didn't attempt a reset! I did a reset and it works great. What a dummy.

Now that I have it up and running...sort of....I have to say that Sony does not make it easy for a turncoat to slip right into their Clies. In order to use their units you have to uninstall your desktop and start over. I have spent all morning trying to get it back to my visor configuration. Almost there...

Thanks for your help.

Teri
    Originally posted by tstarky
    Now that I have it up and running...sort of....I have to say that Sony does not make it easy for a turncoat to slip right into their Clies. In order to use their units you have to uninstall your desktop and start over. I have spent all morning trying to get it back to my visor configuration. Almost there...

Thanks for your help.

Teri
    When I switched from my VDx to my CLIE, I just installed SONY's USB drivers and just used the Hotsync manager and all the conduits I already had installed for the VDx. No uninstallation necessary. You may want to check out the CLIE Users Group. Also, since there was a fued there and a bunch of the more knowledgeable folks left and started their own group, see nXt's CLIE Club. Both of these groups have lots of CLIE specific info.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
  5.    #5  
    I got the beaming to work, got my files transferred and new apps loaded. I was still worried about the screen being a little darker than sony.com had "advertised" (ok, ok so it is A LOT darker ). After using it at work for the first time today it has redeemed itself. Under fluorescent lighting it is much better. I must admit the VDx is more visible in lower light. But using the backlight on the Clie makes it perfectly visible.

The font on most of the apps is small and hard to read but by changing the preferences to the medium font I have no problem. The only thing I can't get to work yet is the Fonthack123. It says it doesn't recognize this version of the OS. I have a nice collection of fonts that worked great on the VDx that I think will make the visibility aspect of the Clie a nonissue for me. I hope they can fix this issue soon.

I robbed my camera for the 32mb memory stick until the "free" one comes in the mail. The way I see it, I actually paid for this stick by paying full price for the Clie. I never pay full price, why did I do that? I really thought those 2 extra 8MB that I rarely use would be perfect for the Clie (one of my arguments for getting it) but when I got to thinking about all that space on the 32....well....I guess those 8MB will sit for a while longer... Actually, I am going to use one as the backup for the internal memory.

I think I really like this Clie, but I will miss my Visor. Thanks for the links to the other user groups. They are very interesting people...

Teri
    If at first you don't succeed....hide all evidence that you tried...
    welcome to the Clie world. enjoy.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by Jupe
    CLIE Users Group. ... [snip] fued here and a bunch of the more knowledgeable folks left and started their own group, see nXt's CLIE Club.
    ooh, ooh, gossip. gimme the dirt.
  8. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

ooh, ooh, gossip. gimme the dirt.
    Basically, the moderator (one_neuron) unilaterally decided to restrict who could upload files to the group's files section and nXt, who had actually uploaded the bulk of the files that were there and who was one of the biggest contributors to the forum in general, got pissed off and he and several of the other frequent contributors decided to leave and start their own group. The old group still probably has more members, but nXt's group has more of the hard-core clie fans and devotees, and they dig up more useful information.
    What do you think about the scroll button on the T415. The one thing my wife does not like about my 760C are the buttons.

The app buttons on the T415 seem like an improvement but I did not like that scroll toggle switch.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
  10.    #10  
    What do you think about the scroll button on the T415. The one thing my wife does not like about my 760C are the buttons.

The app buttons on the T415 seem like an improvement but I did not like that scroll toggle switch.
    The scroll toggle switch is my least favorite thing about the T415. It is extremely tiny even for small hands. Fortunately for me, I rarely use it anyway. It has been a bit of an adjustment to get used to the jog dial but that is one transition I have been enjoying (when I can remember to use it!). At first I thought I wasn't going to like the app buttons either but they really haven't been any problem. They have a little ridge on the bottom side that just happens to accommodate the tip of the stylus and makes for easy switching between apps.

Teri
    If at first you don't succeed....hide all evidence that you tried...
  11. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts

From the look of them, I didn't expect the app buttons on the T415 to be any better than the n710c, but after playing with one at the Sony store, I actually found them to be much better -- they are even decent for playing games! The scroll up/down switch thingy is annoyingly small though, but not as stiff as the flat rocker on the n710c, so it's still a little easier to use.