1.    #1  
    I see Sony's Memory Sticks come listed as MSA and MSG. What is the difference between the two?
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    There are two types of Memory Sticks. One is white and is called MagicGate MS. These are used for ATRAC Audio, which secures the copyright of music so copies cannot be made. They are slightly more expensive than regular MemorySticks.

The Regular MemorySticks are Purple and slightly cheaper. They can play regular MP3's.

Some of Sony's MP3 Players will only use the MagicGate MemoryStick. Fortunately, the CLIE will play MP3's on the Purple MemoryStick, not just ATRAC on the MagicGate.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  3.    #3  
    So if I am not doing anything that needs to be copyrighted or I am not worried about my files being copied, then the purples are OK?
    Originally posted by maddog
    So if I am not doing anything that needs to be copyrighted or I am not worried about my files being copied, then the purples are OK?
    Yes, you should be fine. The white ones are only for ATRAC music. I only use the Purple Ones and everything is fine.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  5.    #5  
    Can you also store data files and applications on the Purple that can be directly accessed?
    You can store data, pictures whatever on the purple ones.
    I've got a Sony Desktop at home - it has a memstick slot but no 3.5". I can actually load files on it, bring it to work and use a 3.5 inch adapter and read off the memstick.

Good luck!
    "If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing." Benjamin Franklin
    then there's the red memory stick for the aibo...