1.    #1  
    After having watched numerous TED talks and followed cell phone developments it seems to me that the next step in cell phone technology involves quite a bit of augmented reality (see tegra zombie game demo for an example).

A London based software company has recently demoed their new program which involves looking through your phone's camera and getting pop up overlays of nearby subway stations and directions right on top of the live image you're looking at. If you point the camera to the floor, for example, you see little arrows pointing to the nearest tube station. They accomplish this by using the iPhone's gps locator and compass to pinpoint your exact location in order to show you the most relevant information.

So my question is, do you think the pre has a glaring disadvantage in this sense? I'm sure you could think of many more augmented reality based applications that make use of the compass, so do you think we'll be at a disadvantage until Palm releases a device with a compass? Have there been any discussions of AR applications for the Pre in its current form?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Not with the current sdk, but once it matures, sure.. Palm Pre doesn't have a compass though which is required for some of those augumented reality programs (to see which direction your phone is facing)

-mark
  3.    #3  
    Forgot to spell out my next question; can AR be done successfully without a compass? The feature seemed useless to me until I saw that demo (my apologies for not posting it due to time constraints, but it's on BBC's site)
    not all AR apps require the compass. I saw one that used face recognition and then overlayed all their personal info in bubbles next to their face on the video/picture by pulling it from a database..

sounds good for the pre and its synergy
    If you're talking about location based AR, where you're moving around and seeing overlays of what's around you, you're going to need a compass so the Pre is out.

If you're talking about recognition based, such as facial or structural recognition, it should be possible on the pre but they're going to work out some of the speed issues with the OS first.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Problem is, what's your definition of AR? A compass is a very crude sensor for any useful application and is very unreliable indoors (no GPS). AR might be useful in an environment tagged with RFID for example. With just a compass, you can point at the building in front of you and be told what it is (Real Estate gee-whiz), but that's as refined as it's gonna get. Pretty useless.

About that subway demo. It won't guide you through stairs, elevators and corridors to get to them and so what's the use "seeing" where they are underground in relation to you?

Meanwhile, the iPhone email sucks.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Considering I was playing an AR game on my treo 650 (see aecade reality) I'd say its jjst a matter of time...
    ... She fakes the orgasm, I fake the relationship
    Moved thread to the forum that discusses:
    Treo vs. iPhone. Windows Mobile vs. BlackBerry. This is the place for "What should I get" and "My smartphone can beat up your smartphone." Formerly the Smartphone Round Robin Forum.

- Craig
  9.    #9  
    Use your lat-long to figure out where you are. The get the google street view in 360 degrees around that spot and figure out the average color values in all directions. Then figure out the average color in the view finder at the moment and see how close that gets you. It might not be accurate enough, but its worth a try.

You can augment that even further if you ask them to walk forward after you get the initial position. Then as soon as you can read a new location you will see which direction they are facing. This is more accurate but lags, probably unusable.
    Last edited by ssotka; 03/01/2010 at 10:28 PM.