1.    #1  
    I've been thinking about all the different handhelds out there and these are my thoughts.

Palm
    The Palm is the one that frankly started it all. They're fine for now but we've only seen little improvements. Nothing impressive. The OS needs some enhancements if it is to go and continue to compete with PPC.

Handspring
    Springboard is currently the most versatile expansion available for Palm OS devices. The Treo will put it in competition with RIM Blackberry. The prices are pretty good on the handhelds but some springboards are a little too pricey. Also the lack of a Flash ROM or making newer Visors with the latest OS is a minus that will keep some people away. Also it leaves Deluxe owners in the dust as far as some springboards go.

Sony
    Their CLIE line seems to be pretty popular. Upgradable OS on all models is nice. Plus some people like the Hi-Res screens. However expansion options are few and expensive. Something that I'd consider getting over a Palm but Springboard expansion still keeps me in the Handspring camp.

PocketPC 2002
    Microsoft's OS seems to finally coming out of its infancy. However the requirements to run it are pretty hefty and the units are expensive often costing the same as getting a new desktop. Until the color units drop down and more applications similar to the poppular ones on Palm OS such as OmniRemote this is only viable for Power Users with deep wallets and the most hardcore Microsoft fans. On some units expansion seems to be plentiful with Compact Flash and other options available. Except AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $actual$ $hardware$ $enhancements$ $are$ $few$ $with$ $only$ $modems$, $wireless$ $LAN$ $cards$, $and$ $GPS$ $being$ $available$.
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    I've been thinking about all the different handhelds out there and these are my thoughts.

Palm
    The Palm is the one that frankly started it all. They're fine for now but we've only seen little improvements. Nothing impressive. The OS needs some enhancements if it is to go and continue to compete with PPC.
    Hmmm...that has kinda been said again, but yup, Palm is kinda killing itself, they're still developing the OS in the right direction, but their innovation needs to move a lot faster. The type of stuff in OS 4, should have came in OS 3.5! All PalmOS innovation is pretty much coming from their Developers, Handspring and Sony, and they take it and put their name on it.

Handspring
    Springboard is currently the most versatile expansion available for Palm OS devices. The Treo will put it in competition with RIM Blackberry. The prices are pretty good on the handhelds but some springboards are a little too pricey. Also the lack of a Flash ROM or making newer Visors with the latest OS is a minus that will keep some people away. Also it leaves Deluxe owners in the dust as far as some springboards go.
    Handspring was a great product when they first came out. I mean, they were competing against the Palm IIIxe, haha. I would have gotten a Visor hands down. Now, their are so many good handhelds out, the Sony Clie's, Palm m505, Handera, etc. that the brick-like visor's dont seem like anything better than the rest. The springboard was a great idea, but now it's kinda fading. Handspring's treo I think will be great, but they better come out with something to compete, or they'll be gone. They don't have the money and resources like Sony, or Palm (at least for now).

Sony
    Their CLIE line seems to be pretty popular. Upgradable OS on all models is nice. Plus some people like the Hi-Res screens. However expansion options are few and expensive. Something that I'd consider getting over a Palm but Springboard expansion still keeps me in the Handspring camp.
    The CLIE line is "pretty popular?" What are you talking about?!??! They're awesome!!! Sony's market share rose from next to nothing market share to 10% in about 5 months! The 710 and 320 are great handhelds. The 320 is really killing Palm and Handspring. The high end Clie's are wiping out competiton, with the exception of the Palm m505. We'll see how well the T-415 does...

PocketPC 2002
    Microsoft's OS seems to finally coming out of its infancy. However the requirements to run it are pretty hefty and the units are expensive often costing the same as getting a new desktop. Until the color units drop down and more applications similar to the poppular ones on Palm OS such as OmniRemote this is only viable for Power Users with deep wallets and the most hardcore Microsoft fans. On some units expansion seems to be plentiful with Compact Flash and other options available. Except AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $actual$ $hardware$ $enhancements$ $are$ $few$ $with$ $only$ $modems$, $wireless$ $LAN$ $cards$, $and$ $GPS$ $being$ $available$.
    Hmm, I like PPC 2002, sort of. I think the graphics and the UI is kinda kool. However, they require soooo much hardware and power. They are reallie expensive too. I don't get how PPC's can have 200+ MHz processors, 64+ MB RAM, battery capacities double of those of Palms, and still cost so little! Palm's have 33 MHz processors, 8 MB RAM, 600 mAh batteries, and they still outlast and perform better than PPCs. Weird isn't it?
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    Sony's market share rose from next to nothing market share to 10% in about 5 months!
    Try 5 weeks! Sony's marketshare prior to the release of the 710 series was under 1%. In less than 5 weeks after Sony began releasing the 710, they jumped to 10%. I think Sony is going to lock down Palm's user base and gain the spotlight. Since the 610, 710/760, and the new T600...there isn't any reason to own a PocketPC!
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    Try 5 weeks! Sony's marketshare prior to the release of the 710 series was under 1%. In less than 5 weeks after Sony began releasing the 710, they jumped to 10%. I think Sony is going to lock down Palm's user base and gain the spotlight. Since the 610, 710/760, and the new T600...there isn't any reason to own a PocketPC!
    LOL! kool! I just didn't wanna undershoot it, are you sure? Sounds good to me though. I think maybe it's around 2 months. I don't remember where I heard it, think it was CNET.

nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD

LOL! kool! I just didn't wanna undershoot it, are you sure? Sounds good to me though. I think maybe it's around 2 months. I don't remember where I heard it, think it was CNET.

I'm almost positive that Foo is right. They took it all over in a small period of about 5 weeks. Simply amazing if you ask me.

BEN
    ...there isn't any reason to own a PocketPC!
    except, perhaps, for the fact that it's a PocketPC. Blecch.
    I seriously prefer my Visor. But, to each their own.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Palm:
    Even that i am sickend about their new Patriotic Palm scam, I do think that with the split and new CEO's they are going to wow people soon. Watch for Palm, we might be amazed!!!

Treospring:
    Oops I mean Handspring...The springboards are now sprung...I love HS and am faithfull, **** if the Treo is all they got to show me, I will laugh. Springboards
    WERE a great idea. And boy are they expensive still years later.
    I cant wait to the treo comes out cause i will be buying all the SB's people are selling so they can fianance the $399 and $39.99 a month Treo addiction.

Sony:
    Soon Oh soon they will have 40% of the market. And more followers on their knees praying to the Clie God. **** at that point i will still own a Handspring product. (if they are still in business after the treo fad fades)

Pocket PC:
    I will now quote a great great person "What are we going to do tomorrow? TAKE OVER THE WORLD" by the Brain for Pinky and the Brain.
    Hey baby before we start do you mind if we use my M505?
    No not for that!!!!!!!!!!
    Use it to reffer to PalmaSutra, silly???????
    Originally posted by BEN

I'm almost positive that Foo is right. They took it all over in a small period of about 5 weeks. Simply amazing if you ask me.

BEN
    HAHAHA! Sony is going to take over the PDA world. They have something for everyone.

For the low end, cheapy consumer: Any old S300's out there and the S320.

For the mid-range kinda person: The T415 or the 610C

For the high end geeks like us: Cheap 710s left out there, the 760 and the new T600.

No one can match that, least not with QUALITY products. Hehe, unlike cheapy m125's or the "un-innovative" Visors.
    nelson.hsieh

Ok something is just not right here. I read in all of the pda web sites that palm went down, handspring up , ipaq down, casio up.

http://www2.pdabuzz.com/Forums/showt...t=market+share

Its a forum string but it was originally a news post.