1.    #1  
    Hi folks !
    I am hesitating between a Visor Platinum with 32Mb of memory extension and an Ipaq 3130 (Black and white) with 64Mb memory extension.
    Which is the better deal for the same price ? Does WinCE manage memory more efficiently than Windows on PCs ? Are work files on WinCE as small as on a PalmOS environment ?
    I would be grateful for any relevant feedback.
    Thanks !

Jacques
    Well, that depends. (nice answer huh?) It Pocket Pc's are very very nice, and for the amount of memory your talking about, you're going to see equivalent use of memory. I currently have both a Jornada 567 & an Edge...the edge wins for me strictly b/c of size, but the Plat isn't much smaller than my Jornada.

If you're looking to play MP3's, and don't want the add on springboard, then go with the the iPaq. I personally don't like the form factor of the iPaq, and prefer the Jornada's...but ultimately its whatever you decide you like better. They'll both provide the same functionality. If you just want a basic PDA...Plat is the way to go...much less learning curve, and more stability....Although depending on which 'memory expansion' choice you decide on, you might be paying a lot for batteries to stick in the Plat.
    Originally posted by Jacques
    I am hesitating between a Visor Platinum with 32Mb of memory extension and an Ipaq 3130 (Black and white) with 64Mb memory extension.
    I would shy away from the iPaq strictly because a PocketPC without a color display really isn't worth owning. That's just my opinion, but color is PPCs biggest strong point.

Which is the better deal for the same price ?
    As dorelse already stated, it depends on what you want in terms of features. If you want MP3...high resolution display...Outlook sync (by the way, PocketPC comes with a full version of Outlook 2000)...and superior ebook viewing (ClearType), then PocketPC is for you. If not, you're really better off staying with the Palm platform.

Does WinCE manage memory more efficiently than Windows on PCs?
    LOL! Uh..no, it's not more efficient. In fact, it's really quite sloppy, IMO. PocketPC uses shared memory, which means that even though your iPaq may have 32mb or RAM...you only get to use about 24. PPC is a multitasking OS, so the more apps you run, the more RAM it eats up. Windows Media Player will use up as much as half of your available memory. I don't consider this a very efficient memory archtecture.

Are work files on WinCE as small as on a PalmOS environment ?
    No, just the opposite. This is where PocketPC shines though. Take a look at Adobe Acrobat reader for PalmOS and compare it to the PocketPC version. The difference is staggering, the PPC is far better...it's just like looking at PC based PDF file, very smooth an anti-aliased. In my opinion, the Palm version sucks! It barely qualifies as a PDF viewer. This is mainly due to the poor resolution of the PalmOS (160x160).

In the end, you should go with what feels more comfortable.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks "dorelse" and "foo fighter" for your detailed answers.
    The exhaustive answers on memory management is just what I wanted!

I am not the least bit interested in MP3s. Just need a PDA for professional use. The Plat I am being offered has a springboard module with 32Mb of mem. I just don't like the cloggy looks and before all the lower screen resolution of the Plat. But i have suffered so much at the hands of Microsoft products (since Windows 2 !!!) that I would prefer not to be tied up to MS again.

My main concern is an as good as perfect compatibility between Word and Excel files and PalmOs or WinCE software.

A second aspect is that I am using TrueSync Desktop as PIM (successor to SideKick) and I am delighted with it. I tried to emigrate to Outlook 2000 but found it too complex and not user-friendly. So I would love to find a way to keep using it and synch it to the PDA. Any clue ? Starfish products are not supported anymore.

The PDF viewer may be more of gadget I feel, the screen size is anyway so mini !

Would be nice to hear from you if you have any input on my further questions.
    Cheers
    Jacques