Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The pre has amazing software with atrocious hardware. I never thought it could be possible for a phone to have worse battery life than the touch diamond and sure enough Palm came here and proved me wrong.

I'm more of a consumer rather than a business person so I really don't need email but the blackberry seems to be just a fantastic phone which is first on my life
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Thanks for sharing, please go post elsewhere, noone cares.

And by the way, the Pre has just as good if not better battery life than the IPhone 3GS. So imagine it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post
    The pre has amazing software with atrocious hardware. I never thought it could be possible for a phone to have worse battery life than the touch diamond and sure enough Palm came here and proved me wrong.

I'm more of a consumer rather than a business person so I really don't need email but the blackberry seems to be just a fantastic phone which is first on my life
    I considered it, but honestly, the only thing I like about the Tour over the Pre is the keyboard.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    hehehe, troll.....
    Have you used the Tour? If you like the Pre for its software, the Tour WILL NOT appeal to you. It doesn't even compare, software wise. Its also reported to have pretty shoddy hardware. Tell me, how long have you had your phone? I'm guessing under a month, which means your battery isn't broken in. Battery life gets better over time, give it some time to break in, and if you're adventurous, root your phone and enable cpu-scaling using this method:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-app-here.html

Your battery life will be through the roof, like mine is. iPhones can't even keep up with the kind of battery life I get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    Thanks for sharing, please go post elsewhere, noone cares.

And by the way, the Pre has just as good if not better battery life than the IPhone 3GS. So imagine it.
    A legitimate question and he get's that response? How rude.

I am in the midst of deciding between a Pre and a Blackberry Tour. I have been told the battery life is not that good with the Pre but only slightly better on the Tour.

I have a Treo 755P and love it. I have multiple batteries and keep it in a cradle charger all day so I have no issue.
    Blackberries most definitely have much better battery life than both WinMo phones and the Pre. I think the Pre is a really neat phone and has some things that are awesome and unique to the phone, but if battery life is your biggest concern the Tour is the better choice.
    When choosing between the Pre and the BB, it all comes down to what type of user experience you are looking for. Both are excellent phones and I don't think you would be disappointed either way.

At this point, BB is going to have more to offer right out of the box, but the Pre has endless potential. I used BB for the past 4 years, and I had an 8900 before the Pre and I loved it. Ultimately, I just felt like although the BB OS is solid, it's just old. The Pre has a fresh new OS, the likes of which we haven't seen before the Pre.

Good luck in your decision.

P.S. Don't expect a warm welcome on these forums with a thread like this, if you haven't already figured it out.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I am amazed at people who would choose a phone they like less, only because of the battery. Features... Battery... Features... Battery... hmmm... On another phone, I can NOT make up for the loss in features I would have had with the Pre... On the Pre, I can simply get a TS to keep topped off or a spare battery, in order to make up for the *chance* of less than desireable battery life.

So, you can do something about battery, you can not do anything about features. Seems like an easy decision, get the Pre and a spare battery and you are set!

I wrote *chance* of poor battery life, because it is not a set-in-stone occurence. Many have had great battery life from the get go. Some have had comparable battery life. Some have had poor battery life. I am in the bucket of having had extremely poor (2 hrs max life)... that is until 1.1 came out. With the EAS and Hotmail features they fixed, I now get an average of 8 hrs of life with heavy use! I also had 4 extra batteries from my prior 800w and Centros, but I now leave the house without taking any of them thanks to the GREAT battery performance I now get.

Features win over battery life, since you can do several things to address/deal with battery life, and that is IF you have a battery life issue on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I debated between the BB Tour and Pre. Once I tried out the Tour's KB, even though I have large hands, I much prefer the Pre's. Both have some hardware issues, and both are having software issues yet... But the software issues are getting ironed out slowly but surely.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    If battery is a big deal then buy a Razr or something equivalent.
    BB Tour doesn't have wifi. Its not touchscreen. The browser is not great.

I say Pre wins on everything but the battery and keyboard.

Pre has decent keyboard. You can buy those extended batteries for prprpr $too$.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    P.S. Don't expect a warm welcome on these forums with a thread like this, if you haven't already figured it out.
    I'd say, don't expect a warm welcome on ANY forum with a thread like this. I frequent boards dedicated to the Infiniti G35, for example, and I can't remember many folks taking the time to post how they've traded in their G35 for a Bimmer because the G35 is built horribly, or some such nonsense. But, I can imagine the response.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'd say, don't expect a warm welcome on ANY forum with a thread like this. I frequent boards dedicated to the Infiniti G35, for example, and I can't remember many folks taking the time to post how they've traded in their G35 for a Bimmer because the G35 is built horribly, or some such nonsense. But, I can imagine the response.

You're def right about that. Even if the OP hadn't stated that the Pre was built horribly, there is a definitely no shortage of people on here that will flame him for even considering the Tour over the Pre.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I have a Pre and my GF has a Tour. Her battery life is just as bad as mine, the OS is slower than crap (I think it has the CPU from the Storm, which is last gen), and she doesn't have wifi. Also the browser is awful.

On the bright side the keyboard is pretty awesome and the phone feels more solid than the Pre, not to mention the pretty screen. The app store is getting pretty big too.

All in all, I personally wouldn't trade.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    i wonder if people with battery issues use a car charger....
    S I D E B A R!!!!!!!

Ok I have a question I just got a palm pre and i'm really inexperienced with doing all this technical stuff but I saw this prebrew installer thing so I downloaded it onto my computer and everything is running fine and i put the app mynotifications on my phone that was simple but now it seems as though i can't get any of the sounds for my original notifications to work and the mynotifications app isnt working either so what do i do i'm stuck?!?! And also i'm planning on deleting prebrew will that damage the computer?
    :Answers and help would be very much appreciated.
    Personally I have not been able to purchase a pre yet, but honestly something like battery life is not something that would affect me.. I have a Curve currently and the battery last me right around 2 days with heavy use.. But I would trade it for a Palm Pre in a HeartBEAT!!! (Oh and the purchase of atleast 2 Touchstones! hehe) I can put up with battery life if the phone WOWs me! and WebOS as definitely WOW'ed me! I cannot wait till it becomes available for me! ... :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    You're def right about that. Even if the OP hadn't stated that the Pre was built horribly, there is a definitely no shortage of people on here that will flame him for even considering the Tour over the Pre.
    On the other side of the coin, it's really humorous that someone would join a Palm Pre forum, to specifically talk about how they didn't like the Pre and wanted a Blackberry.

It's like walking into an Apple store and screaming at the top of your lungs "I LOATHE APPLE COMPUTERS AND WHAT THEY STAND FOR, I WILL INSTEAD SELECT A PC FOR MY NEEDS" and then storm out.

I mean if this thread isn't an example of trolling, I don't know what it. Now if the thread was restated such as "If you didn't get a Pre, what would you get?" then I can see an intelligent debate forming. But alas, this thread ain't it.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I have both so let me just write what the tour beats on the pre.

-Keyboard nice and bright without having to raise the screen light!
    -Battery life. The guy with his girl having a tour with almost same battery life as his pre is a joke,sorry. Tell her to get a replacement!
    - easy ONE handed to move around most windows. Certainly NOT slow.
    - does NOT need wifi, evdo on tour is fantastic! So glad I don't have to turn on or off to use wifi love that.
    - Screen OUTSIDE on in DIRECT sun light! OMG! The pre looks like crap compared to the tour. The tour adjust the light and it looks as if you where looking at the screen inside! Man I love the screen.
    - phone quality and not to mention the speed to get to the phone window! Love to talk on the tour way better than the pre.
    - speaker and speaker phone,nice! Face it, on the pre its terrible, generic speaker.

These are just ones that stand out the most.

I will share this with you OP. Don't use the sync stuff from the pre and just use a mobile version web page to check ur email and the pre battery will be great! I been testing the pre with this method and I can't believe how much longer the battery lasts. Right now I'm torn as to which one to keep,if I sell my truck I may keep both. So, the keyboard on the tour is NOT the only thing that shines over the pre. OH, and the ease to have 16GB and soon 32 is awesome!
    I also have both. The BB Tour has issues, one the battery door is loose, it is didn't bother me at first but now, wow I'm looking for some type of tape to fix it. Second the call quality is poor and I have had several BB's and none have sounded as bad as the Tour. People are always needing me to repeat what I had just said. So what I am trying to say that Preman didn't is that all phones have issues, you just have to decide which one you can live with. As much as I like the Tour I will be keeping my Pre. The Pre just has so much more to offer. I use gmail and google sync without issues on the Pre. My battery last me all day with normal use. I text maybe 50 times a day, do 20 or 30 emails and a few phone calls here and there. Oh by the way I also use google sync with the Tour it also works great. The Pre web browser is one of the best I have ever seen as well. I like the fact that I can have several web pages open and they update while they are running in the background and with a flick of my finger the web page is back up. It's a nice phone but so is the Tour. I will just be keeping my Pre.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast