Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Wow, "my BB battery lasts for six months between charges and the pre battery goes out in like 15 minutes."

"I actually used my personal funds to purchase a BB so that it would like as though my employer care enough about me to give me one."

The truth is this:

All work and no play makes a phone a Blackberry. I agree that my BB 8310 feel more solid in my hand. THAT'S BECAUSE IT'S A CANDYBAR. It's one piece. How many one piece phones aren't solid. I use the BB for exchange email. If your employer doesn't have BES, then how is a BB any better than a Razr? It's not.

I choose my Pre anytime I want to do anything other than reply to work e-mail.

If your having battery issues with yours then perhaps you need a block of instructions on how to get the most out of a rechargeable battery.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I returned my Tour after having it for one week and got a Pre. It may have just been the particular unit I got, but it froze the second day I had it and continued to do it intermittently when trying to run an application. The track ball was unresponsive when trying to move it left and right at times. Also, the battery case was noticeably loose which made the Tour feel flimsy in my hands. These all seemed to be common issues from what I saw on the BB forums and some members were on their 3rd or 4th Tour! The kicker for me was that it did not seem to be receiving my work emails on time. There was considerable lag between the time I'd receive an email on the BB versus on my computer. My office email also rejected emails coming from my BB. After all that, I had to switch. It was too bad because I was really psyched about the Tour when I first got it.
    i also own a HTC Touch Diamond, the battery life was so horrible i had to carry around the charger anywhere i went... not the same with the pre. i can keep a full charge for half the day, then charge it, whereas the diamond had to be charged every few hours. i use my phone A LOT and i'm happy with it so far... i do like the Tour, and i'm waiting until just before my 30 days with the Pre to decide whether i'll keep it or make the switch.
    I've come to realize that a vast majority of the complaints on all phones are subjective. I switched from a BB 8330 to the Pre. Sure there are some things I miss about my Curve, but I'm not willing to switch back.

I rarely used my bb to browse the internet because the experience wasn't even close to desktop browsing. Even on sites that had a mobile version. I find myself browsing on my desktop less and less now that I have my Pre. In fact, browsing on the Pre is so enjoyable, I find myself using it far more than is necessary, just because it is so visually appealing. Once flash comes out, the appeal factor will skyrocket.

As for battery life, I'm up in the air about it. It definitely required a break in period which is almost unheard of today. I wasn't expecting that. However, now that that is out of the way, it's still quite hard to compare because I play with my Pre so much more than I ever did my bb.

I do miss bb messenger. The majority of the people I know have bb's and do not use a messenger service, so that was nice. Doubly nice was being able to use it to send "texts" to friends overseas without getting nailed with international fees.

The webOS software blows any other phone OS out of the water. It doesn't even have competition IMHO. Hardware, I admit, could be a bit sturdier, but I personally have not experienced anything worth whining about.

Overall the Pre is dead sexy and downright FUN to use. I don't miss the 5 minute reset times, having to have a memory manager to reduce lag, lack of 'realistic' web browsing and excessive spam emails (unless I wanted to create a ton of redirects or pay $20+ for a decent bb spam blocker).

Given each persons different needs and usages when it comes to a smartphone, I don't think its fair to compare apples and oranges. The Pre is an entirely different beast than anything we've encountered thus far in our smartphone journey. It will take a while to tame her, but it's not without hope.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Oh, I must add that the lack of WiFi on the Tour is also disappointing. I didn't think it would make a difference at first, but for a PDA in this day and age, it should be standard to have WiFi, especially for how much you pay for the Tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by hnharrison24 View Post
    I've come to realize that a vast majority of the complaints on all phones are subjective.
    No truer words ever spoken.

It cracks me up when I read posts here about people afraid to buy a Pre because of the complaints that they have read.

Its the nature of forums. Anything that can be complained about, will be complained about. Take it all with a grain of salt.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    No truer words ever spoken.

It cracks me up when I read posts here about people afraid to buy a Pre because of the complaints that they have read.

Its the nature of forums. Anything that can be complained about, will be complained about. Take it all with a grain of salt.
    Thanks. I actually had someone on the crackberry forums tell me not to get a Pre because I wouldn't like it. I didn't know this person from Adam. It's amazing how self-centered people can be. Just because it works for one person, doesn't make it a one-size-fits-all scenario. Palm has their hands full trying to make hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people happy with one little device all at once. I have to give them props.
    It's very true, it all comes down to what you (individually) need, and which phone fits you best.

I grew tired of the poor build quality of my pre and several missing features present in other phones. It was no fun going from store to store being told that my phone was 'normal'

I know the pre will be updated frequently and many missing features as well as additional ones will be added. Personally however, I bought the tour and feel much happier with it.

That's just me, to each his own
    I posted earlier in this thread stating I was going to use the Tour for awhile, but I went back to a Pre 2 weeks later, the Tour is good but Pre>>>>Tour IMO. And to the people who are saying that 3GS battery life is "lightyears" ahead of the Pre are selling wolf tickets there are two people in my office who have it and their battery life is not that far off from my own. Get a phone for the features not the battery life, because Tour battery life is almost similar to Pre battery life so to jump from a Tour to a Pre because of battery problems is futile might as well just get a Curve and call it a day, and with all the features that are built into smartphones nowadays you can't realistically expect to be a power user essentially running a mini computer that works as such and expect RAZR like usage from a phone as high powered as a Pre, Iphone, G1 etc. Good luck though and I hope TS makes the best decision for a phone that fits their lifestyle.
    Last edited by L-Boogie; 08/26/2009 at 09:49 PM.
    I am a BB user and was going to stay with BB, but the major thing that made me move away from them was the lack of WI-FI.

Of course when the Pre was first being talked about the major draw for me was WI-FI and pretty well everything else was secondary.

I will admit that my BB was (and still is) a workhorse for my company e-mail, but that's it. Now to be fair my BB is 4 years old (7250), and can't handle all the Java scripts, but from the dropping stand point of view, and e-mail factor.....IMO you really can't beat it.

My job is still the same, but I've decided that all work and no Play makes Red a boring guy. The I-Phone was an option, but I just wanted something new and different and the early talk of the Pre got me excited. I'm not an audiofile, so really what was the point of going to the I-Phone in the first place.

For me the rubber will hit the road tomorrow when I get my hands on my new toy. I just hope it can handle hitting the ground as much as my BB did....(I drop my phone a lot).

Oh how long this night will be. LOL....
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234