Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmackay View Post
    I am amazed at people who would choose a phone they like less, only because of the battery. Features... Battery... Features... Battery... hmmm... On another phone, I can NOT make up for the loss in features I would have had with the Pre... On the Pre, I can simply get a TS to keep topped off or a spare battery, in order to make up for the *chance* of less than desireable battery life.

So, you can do something about battery, you can not do anything about features. Seems like an easy decision, get the Pre and a spare battery and you are set!

snip

Features win over battery life, since you can do several things to address/deal with battery life, and that is IF you have a battery life issue on the Pre.
    Agreed! I bought a $5 car charger the day I got the Pre! I kept expecting the phone to go dead if I just left it on all day based on the reports! Though I have had no battery issues, I plan on ordering a larger capacity battery and an Energizer portable recharger.

I can always find a way to charge the phone....

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    Thanks for sharing, please go post elsewhere, noone cares.

And by the way, the Pre has just as good if not better battery life than the IPhone 3GS. So imagine it.
    "noone" cares? People in glass houses...
    I had the pre and then returened it because my screen was defective and i didnt want to exchange it and get another bad device. So I went to the Tour and i have to say the Tour is a great phone, however, i am still wanting the Pre back
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Sure all phones have problems. If your tour has bad reception/call quality it might be a bad unit.
    My tour sounds as if I was talking on a land line, but so does my pre!

I just wanted to point out that the tour is better than the pre in more ways than just the keyboard. Lack of wifi on the tour does not hurt it at all, unless one has bad coverage in some basement or something like that.

For the loose battery door on the tour just put a small piece of tape where the hindge snaps and END of problem. Other than the battery door the tour is solid, so no big issue.

Once the apps for pre come out it will be awesome.
    After using a Palm Pre I dont think I could use a BB Tour. I thik the BBs are nice but I think the Pre is more of a me phone. Iam sure BB still has the best email client though!
    I switched from the Pre to the Tour, and then back to the Pre... The Tour was not worth the price, the software just feels so out of date.
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    Sure all phones have problems. If your tour has bad reception/call quality it might be a bad unit.
    My tour sounds as if I was talking on a land line, but so does my pre!

I just wanted to point out that the tour is better than the pre in more ways than just the keyboard. Lack of wifi on the tour does not hurt it at all, unless one has bad coverage in some basement or something like that.

For the loose battery door on the tour just put a small piece of tape where the hindge snaps and END of problem. Other than the battery door the tour is solid, so no big issue.

Once the apps for pre come out it will be awesome.
    Lack of WiFi doesn't bother the Tour because A) the BB browser doesn't give you the full site like the Pre does, and B) Neither does Opera Mini, Opera Mini actually goes through Opera's own servers to shrink the pages down for you. If the BB had a browser worth a crap, the lack of WiFi would be an issue.
    I have both, and I love both of those devices but I'm currently using the Tour until the Pre develops into more of the monster I know it will be!
    I now have both, and both are connected to data and phone services (got one of those promotional Tours with 90 days free Sprint service.) The Pre seems to have slightly inferior voice quality and the handset feels a bit flimsy, IMO. But the Pre's browser renders pages I would say twice as fast as the Tour.
    And the Pre's messaging is really better than the BB's is - believe it or not. I have found the Pre gets messages (emails, texts, etc.) faster and more reliably. It's a little surprising since BB is known for their messaging prowess.
    Negatives about the Pre: it's 9:45 AM and the battery is down to 80%! But it's new and needs a few cycles I guess. Also I got one of the crap trackballs which needs to be replaced - the horizontal motion barely works. Also about the Tour: build quality feels awesome, and the screen is also awesome. Speakerphone: awesome (loud and clear.) The Tour is also quick in operation - none of the delays which the Pre has. You press the button and it's done ;-)

I have been using various Pres since launch day and just got the Tour yesterday. I am not sure if I will keep both or get rid of one...
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post
    The pre has amazing software with atrocious hardware. I never thought it could be possible for a phone to have worse battery life than the touch diamond and sure enough Palm came here and proved me wrong.

I'm more of a consumer rather than a business person so I really don't need email but the blackberry seems to be just a fantastic phone which is first on my life
    IMHO, BB's are really much better suited to business users. I had a BB Pearl for a year and a half and almost every day of that I thought it was probably a nice phone for someone who needed it for business.

As a consumer who wants a fun and useful messaging and web phone, I am THRILLED with the Pre. I really feel like I have been released from a dull grey, boring cube and into a park or something.

The Pre provides a GREAT user experience, and my battery (6 weeks out) is just as good as my BB Pearl's was. Of course, I used my Pearl a LOT less for web surfing etc.
    My battery power has been getting better and better. I would suggest not charging your phone till it is completly run down. Condition the battery and it will improve. Hopefully n 30 days it will continue to get better. Sprint car charger on ebay $12, extra cables and home charger $6. Battery problem solved.my fiamond would do the same thing. Its not the phone its the cdma radio that is causing a low battery. Don't blame the phone.
    Last edited by THETRUTH; 08/03/2009 at 10:01 AM.
    Had the Pre, switched to the Tour, and now have ditched the Tour for a Curve.

I'm finally happy.

Ultimately, I would rather own the Pre if it would function reliably. But the dropped calls and lost data connections forced me out of the Pre. The Tour was very nice and I thought that would be the device, but absolutely awful voice quality for anyone on the other end forced me to drop that phone as well. Absolutely everyone complained about my "muffled" voice.

I tried 2 devices for both the Pre and Tour, and both exhibited identical problems as the original device. I dont have the patience to try 4, 5, or more devices as I've seen others do.

The Curve is older technology, but dangit! It does everything its supposed to do, especially handling phone calls! Why did'nt RIM just add Wifi and upgrade the memory and screen on the Curve? That woud have been a winner.

Next year will be the year to switch to the newer devices. They definitely need a lot of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'd say, don't expect a warm welcome on ANY forum with a thread like this. I frequent boards dedicated to the Infiniti G35, for example, and I can't remember many folks taking the time to post how they've traded in their G35 for a Bimmer because the G35 is built horribly, or some such nonsense. But, I can imagine the response.
    None of the other forums I spend time on have the level of fanboi idiocy and insult, or the attack dog mentality, of this one. This has become at least as bad as any of the iPhone forums, maybe worse. Someone asks a legitimate question about one of the Pre's less than stellar features, and the fanbois come flying out of their closets, foaming at the mouths, ready to attack.

Compare the Pre to some other phone, and acknowledge the simple truth that, in some ways, the Pre isn't better, and expect the rabid ones to attack.

Heck, anything less than a love poem is going to get someone calling you a troll. This place is rapidly becoming a laughing stock. I'm not, in general, a fan of heavy-handed moderation of forums, but I hope the moderators start clamping down on some of the attack dogs before the users who are here for information start looking elsewhere. Of course, if that happens, then the fanbois can hang around telling each other how wonderful they all are.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    None of the other forums I spend time on have the level of fanboi idiocy and insult, or the attack dog mentality, of this one. This has become at least as bad as any of the iPhone forums, maybe worse. Someone asks a legitimate question about one of the Pre's less than stellar features, and the fanbois come flying out of their closets, foaming at the mouths, ready to attack.

Compare the Pre to some other phone, and acknowledge the simple truth that, in some ways, the Pre isn't better, and expect the rabid ones to attack.

Heck, anything less than a love poem is going to get someone calling you a troll. This place is rapidly becoming a laughing stock. I'm not, in general, a fan of heavy-handed moderation of forums, but I hope the moderators start clamping down on some of the attack dogs before the users who are here for information start looking elsewhere. Of course, if that happens, then the fanbois can hang around telling each other how wonderful they all are.
    It's good to know there are some others out there not afraid to point this out.

Of course you know the both of us must be Trolls...
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    Wifi uses less power when transferring data, so the Tour would get even better battery life with it.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    The blackberry curve is the best phone I have ever owned, but I needed a change. I tried the Pre, ditched it for the Tour, while simultaneously test driving an Iphone for 30 days:

I didn't like the Tour keyboard; the keys were too close. Also, the hi res Tour screen combined with an outdated OS seemed odd to me.

A jailbroken Iphone 3gs has almost know flaws. Battery life isn't great, but that is not a deal breaker. What is a deal breaker, for me at least, is that onscreen keyboard. I was stressed every time I went to use it. It was also a pain in the *** saving email documents, but not ridicous. The ultimate debreaker was the 60 extra I would pay with ATT per month vs Sprint. I couldn't justify the increase.

I picked up a pre the first day it was out on June 6. I loved it, but couldn't deal with some basic features being absent. I returned the Pre, but kept an eye on the forums. The Pre has come leaps and bounds in the past two months. I purchased another one and will not look back. The potential for the Pre is out of this world. I am positive that is will soon become the Best phone I have ever owned.

I haz and Love Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    The Curve is older technology, but dangit! It does everything its supposed to do, especially handling phone calls! Why did'nt RIM just add Wifi and upgrade the memory and screen on the Curve? That woud have been a winner.
    They did. It's called the Curve 8900. Higher resolution screen than the Pre (480x360), WiFi, 3.2 megapixel camera, video and a whopping 356 hours of standby time.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I think them saying the Tour will be out early next year with WIFI equipped is kind of dumb..why buy the phone now if its going to have wifi latter?....they prolly not going to give replacements if you already have a tour so if you are interested in a tour id wait until the wifi radio was included
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    They did. It's called the Curve 8900. Higher resolution screen than the Pre (480x360), WiFi, 3.2 megapixel camera, video and a whopping 356 hours of standby time.
    not available on verizon.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast