1.    #1  
    ** Post 2 Has a much more... summarised version of this :P**

Hi, sorry for the long post, but I hope you guys can advise me

I know my question involves other smartphones (though i think im in the right forum section :P) but I have recently read a LOT of articles and posts on this site, and you guys seem to have a decent overview of the smart phone world :P Im also writing this here cos the Pre has been on my new-phone shortlist for a while now, and I havent yet found a decent "all-smartphone" forum lol.

Anyway, here goes.

Current phone: HTC TYTN (Thats right, the first one. Very outdated now :P) Currently on a cooked 6.5 rom and its still running fine, Im just a gadget freak and want something new now that my contract is up!

Im based in the UK, but dont think that makes a lot of difference.

I am not a heavy business user. I got the TYTN basically by accident. But im a heavy PC user and a web designer, and also a total gadget nut :P and the windows mobile OS, though flawed in many ways, is still fun to play with.

What im looking for:
    -A phone! (obviously )

-Good Texting. I text a lot, significently more than I actually call people/recieve calls. So easy typing is important. A good keyboard is essential really.

- Web browser. I use the internet a lot! (at home). However, on my TYTN, I rarely bother, as most websites dont show up properly and it takes ages to load up anything. However, it it worked, id use it a lot more! I also use msn a lot, so again a good keyboard with the ability to go on msn would be very nice.

- Music/Video ... Non-essential. I have a carPC in the car, and a laptop at home. Being able to play music and show off a video clip is more than adequate. I have an Ipod Nano if I really need an mp3 player, and ive not used it since I installed my carPC lol.

Word processing - Im not a typical business user, however being able to type up notes, or having the ability to write up an idea on the move/while waiting for something, has come in very useful on the TYTN. A word processor is wanted, but excel spreadsheets is not necessary. Although the more tools the better

Games&Apps - Well, I have a nintendo DS if I ever want mobile gaming. phone games are a gimmick, even on the Iphone. Something to pass a few minutes of bus time. Unecessary.
    However, certain apps are useful, and being able to customise your phone with whatever tools you want/need is a gadget I cant really pass up on :P

GPS - I have it on my carPC, so a personal GPS is not really required as I dont really walk long distance :P however i can see uses for it, so I woudlnt turn it down!

Life management - I dont use it much on the TYTN... I make notes to remind myself of things and all that, but the calendar remains unused most of the time, except for certain events. however, this may just be because its a bit old and clunky to use, so I tend not to bother. A good system may well get me to use it more.

Camera - As long as its better than the TYTN one, im happy. A flash would be nice too, though not a deal breaker. Im no expert photographer, just to be able to snap a shot when needed is fine by me.

I cant really think of anything else... im sure there is stuff! I have just tried to put out most of the things I require... basically phone/texting/ and as good a web browser as possible, with word processing abilities.

My shortlist at the moment is the Pre, the Iphone3GS, and the HTC touch pro 2. (Except actually, the samsung omnia pro is out soon, and seems to outshine the HTC in every respect... from what I have read anyway)

The htc is there cos its basically the souped-up version of what I have now. So its what I know... but much much better :P And it can do everything I need of it. And much much more.

The iphone is there for the same reason, but mainly cos of the great browser and Apps. And the lush screen. But... no keyboard. And my (albeit very limited) experience with the on-screen keyboard did not wow me. Way too many mistakes. And even experienced users make mistakes a lot! (Not just I say this, its been documented Ive read up a lot on it lately lol) Im used to being able to essentially touch-type, without even looking at the phone! No hope of that on the iphone :P Although, in every other respect, a very nice phone.

The Palm Pre.... Im a gadget nut. I like whats new and exciting. And the Pre is one tiny package of technology. And it has a keyboard! Though it is small, and I have big fingers, but I have heard people of big and small fingers have both loved and hated it, so it seems to be personal preference. And the screen is amazing! And the WebOS is a gem, which I hope for lots of updates to iron out the kinks. My big big BIG problem with the Pre though, is that I have heard a LOT of stories about its flimsy/plastiky, and generally poor build quality... which worries me, as I will be tied into a 2year contract if I decide to buy one!

I cant try the Palm for myself yet, as unfortunatly its not being released over here until, and I quote, "In time for the christmas holiday"... which means anytime between now and december... but im not too bothered about waiting, as my current phone does still work fine. But I dont want to wait, if its not the right phone for me, if you see what i mean?

Sorry about the wall of text... But ive spent a week looking at phones, and reading up and examining differences. Some of you might well say that a full-on smartphone is more than I require, and it probably is... but a "normal" phone simply does not meet my requirements. And there does not seem to be a "happy medium"... except perhaps the pre?

Anyway I hope you guys can forgive my wall-of-rambling... just hope someone out there can advise me, as my brain has melted at thinking of all these phones, and trying to sort out the pros from the cons. Maybe you guys will recommend something obvious that Ive missed in my travels!

If I can think of any more sensible things to add, ill do so. thanks
    Last edited by niiru; 08/02/2009 at 03:28 PM.
  2.    #2  
    After writing this (was a few hours ago now) I realised its just way too much information :P

So in summary:

Phones I like so far - Palm Pre, Iphone3GS, TouchPro2, OmniaPro
    (But this is not a definative list, however a lot of other good phones were struck off due to bad reviews and certain things missing.)

What I'd like - Ideally, Id like to be able to be surfing the web (Proper web browsing, decent speed), looking up whatever happens to have taken my interest for the day, while having msn running so that I can talk to people if I wish. And then if I find something I'd like to make a note of, I can jot out a quick paragraph or 2. And then send some texts

Games are unecessary
    Fun apps (farting? really?) are unecessary, but then I love the idea of the Ocarina app on the Iphone... no reason why the Pre cant get it too though.
    *Useful* Apps are ...well, useful! And appreciated.

Being a lovely gadget is also good

However being sturdy enough to last out a 2 year contract is *CRUCIAL*

Technically my current WM6.5 TYTN can do all this... but its a bit slow and old now, and its not as slick as id like. Moving from msn to the browser window is pretty choppy, and having both running at once slows things down immensly.

Hopefully this post is a bit more succint and useful than the first :P
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Hi Niiru. I'll take a stab at an answer for you.

I too came from a cooked WM6.5 build, but on a smartphone paltform. Texting was a nightmare on the little 3x4 keyboard. Web browsing was also pretty painful.

I think we have the same needs -- gadget hound, texting a plus, note taking a plus. No need for business enterprise or corporate exchange.

I like the iPhone for the fun stuff, but I've tried virtual keyboards and could not ever get used to it. If I had to force myself like other iPhone users have had to do, I'd probably be OK with it. But having a Blackberry for a few years (then giving it back as I wanted my life back) I got spoiled by a good tactile keyboard.

So the Pre -- everything I want? So far I'll say yes. Though I'll say the keyboard isn't as good as RIMs, it's pretty darn good. WebOS is really good too. So far I haven't had any issues (knock on wood) with the build quality, but then again I know this is a phone and a gadget, not a toy that I can easily replace. It stays in a case most of the time and I don't open it by pushing on the side, which I think is the cause of most people's "oreo" effect.

I wouldn't go for another WinMo phone as even with a neat interface/skin for the system (like SPB Mobile Shell) the underlying WM stuff and the resistive touchscreen makes it suck compared to the newer Palm, Apple, or Android devices.

Multi-tasking is a breeze and very well implemented -- you're used to this with WM and you won't have any problems moving to WebOS. As a UK Pre will likely be GSM you shouldn't have the issues with talking and data at the same time as we do with the CDMA Pre in the US, but to be honest I haven't been held back at all by moving to CDMA.

So my advice? Go for the Pre. If you're unusually hard on your devices then I would be careful in considering either a iPhone or a Pre as they can be fragile (glass screen on iPhone, plastic body of Pre) and WM/HTC/Samsung devices can be a little more sturdy, but if you're at all careful then you shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck -- I love my Pre and wouldn't consider any of the other options personally here in the US; AT&T coverage with the iPhone isn't stellar and spotty, and I have enough experience with WM OS to know I don't particularly care for it, it was a means to an end until WebOS came out.
    Get the Touch Pro 2, there are already efforts to even have custom ROMs ready for it before the device is released in the USA. That means a device that will have maximum customizations.

IPhone is too locked down by Apple to have custom ROMs.

Pre, it does not even have a MicroSD slot . While the iPhone does not have one either, at least it has 16-32GB on board. The Touch Pro 2 will be able to hold up to 16GB now via MicroSD and up to 32GB once the 32GB MicroSD cards come out. With the Touch Pro 2, you can have a card for music, a card for movies and so on. It's the only one (of the main 3 on your short list) that gives you expansion like that.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Get the Touch Pro 2, there are already efforts to even have custom ROMs ready for it before the device is released in the USA. That means a device that will have maximum customizations.

IPhone is too locked down by Apple to have custom ROMs.

Pre, it does not even have a MicroSD slot . While the iPhone does not have one either, at least it has 16-32GB on board. The Touch Pro 2 will be able to hold up to 16GB now via MicroSD and up to 32GB once the 32GB MicroSD cards come out. With the Touch Pro 2, you can have a card for music, a card for movies and so on. It's the only one (of the main 3 on your short list) that gives you expansion like that.
    This does make sense, as well as being the closest of the three to my current phone (the TYTN), so there will essentially be a zero learning curve. But then, getting a similar phone is *also* a downside, as its always nice to try something new lol.
    While expandability *is* a very nice thing to have access to... Well, theres a micro-SD card slot on my current TYTN, and I have a 1gb card for it.... which has spent the last year in my Nintendo DS :P (CycloDS rules lol). I just never used it for music, or films. Not regularly enough to need specific storage for it.

8gb on the pre would be used for apps, apps, apps.... ringtones, couple funny videos to show off to people, and apps. Though I admit, I would *prefer* if there was the option for expandability, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by stomsf View Post
    I like the iPhone for the fun stuff, but I've tried virtual keyboards and could not ever get used to it. If I had to force myself like other iPhone users have had to do, I'd probably be OK with it. But having a Blackberry for a few years (then giving it back as I wanted my life back) I got spoiled by a good tactile keyboard.
    Yeh, I think i could force myself to find it usable (ive played on my GFs iTouch a few times, and managed to spell things fairly quickly and accuratly), however it takes a lot more concentration and effort than a physical keyboard.

And on the topic of being careful, I generally look after my stuff very well. Like, borderline OCD lol. It would probably be going in the best slide-phone case I can get my hands on. (Ive heard good things about a "best skin ever"? or ghost skin? or something..)

At the moment Im in limbo, I *almost* bucked to consumer *****-ism, and bought a iPhone 32gb (cos they have sold out of 16gb in the whole of the UK...apparently), but the phone network has removed unlimited texts from the iPhone (and ONLY the iPhone) tariff, which made the tariff a huge rip-off for me. Especially for the expensive 32gb phone. So I managed to restrain myself at the last moment, with the thought of the Pre or OmniaPro being released in the next month or so.

In the meantime, my TYTN now has SPBMobile 3 running on it And im enjoying it thoroughly! Hopefully it will get me through the next few weeks!

So far, the Pre and the Samsung Omnia Pro seem to be my top 2 choices. The omnia pro (for those that dont know) is basically a touch pro 2, except it has a 800mhz processor, and a very nice 5.0m camera with flash. Yummy :P
    With the iPhone and Touch Pro 2, both have TV Out capability. So you could display a video right to a TV screen or monitor.
    Wow, i have to say this is the Guide i am going to be looking at every new post.
    This is exactly what i was thinking about. But i can't decide.
    Now i can't help you because i am in the same predicament.
    But i know the TP2 has an awesome batterylife. Like Two days of heavy use. Without any charging.
    And the Pre does not have any native apps, its all CSS JavaScript and HTML. Youre not going to be seeing any great games on the Pre until they grant access to lower API's.
    But i have played on the Pre's keyboard, and i must say i have fat fingers and it was Bliss to type on. And i have never used it before that either.

About battery life on the Pre, for what youre going to be using it for it would suck that sucker dry. Buuuuut there is a fix.

Extended batteries!

But please anyone out there, help me to!
  8.    #8  
    I got an iPhone 16gb, on a 14 day trial. So if I *really* dislike it, i can return it.

However, ill be a few months into the contract before the Pre even gets released over here. And then when my contract ends, hopefully there will be a nice Pre mk2 For me to pick up.

Not sure I would be happy in a 2 year contract with a device that had a high probability of faults.

However... I still have 12 day left to return the iPhone :P although, I have already jailbroken it lol. They are such rubbish machines, unless you hack them.