Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I was going to get the Pre any day now but I've recently found out about the HTC Hero (Which I've heard has multitouch) and the Samsung M900/SuperInstinct which are supposedly Oct. 11.

Since I'm in no rush, should I just wait for those phones to come out and decide which one is best or should I just get the Pre?

Edit: I just thought about it, and with all the Pre hardware issues and the overall cheap build of the product (my sister owns one), I don't think the Pre will even be a choice when these two phones come out.)
    WebOS is better than either of the OS options presented.
    This thread belongs in the cross platform forum. Perhaps a mod will see fit to move it.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    It may be but the general hardware and cheapness of the Pre really takes away from that experience. Web OS may be the best, but it's not all about the OS.

Of course, price will be a factor when Oct 11 hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    WebOS is better than either of the OS options presented.
    Maybe in a year.

OP: The hero looks like a nice device. I'd honestly wait if I were you as it doesn't seem like you are in a hurry for something new. The bottom line on the Pre is it is a nice device but lacks a lot of options and needs a lot of work to be a true contender. I don't regret buying it but for me Palm has until the Hero launches to fix the issues or I'll be jumping ship.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    pfft. I've had a lot of Blackberries and a couple Treos and I'd say the Pre is quite competitive on hardware quality. WebOS certainly lacks a lot of options at the moment as you say, but the hardware issues are overblown and the device is quite pleasant to use.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    What a sleezy way to promote your cheap A$$ blog. Get the Hero and go their forums.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I hope that works out for you. I absolutely love this phone. There are things that can be improved, but overall, I have to remind myself it is just a phone. I love this.

Good Luck,
    Dave
    Is it me, or does the Hero look almost like the same thing as the T-Mobile MyTouch 3G?

If you think you might like one of the other phones better, just wait and see. The Hero will probably be a nice device, but a physical keyboard is a must for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    What a sleezy way to promote your cheap A$$ blog. Get the Hero and go their forums.
    Yeah, if you check his posts, you'll see that he already owns the phone.

But every body here is legit, right?
    Since the op's "epiphany" about the Pre's build quality came so quickly, I can't help wondering why the thread was created.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Was on the fence for a while when it comes to the Pre. Saw the Hero and decided to wait for it until reviews started coming in and confirmed my fears, the dated hardware (same old stuff used in the Diamond, Touch Pro and G1) is really holding this phone back. Really a shame.

After trying the Pre out with a few updates I was totally sold. Took the lower res screen vs. my Diamond to get a UI that actually works well out of the box. I'm really glad I did. The implementation of multitasking on the Pre is unmatched by any competitor IMHO. Also, the hardware is not that bad. At least on my phone which may be newer than some (just got it last Sunday). Regardless, I decided to cover my a$$ and get Best Buy's geek squad coverage on the phone for $10 a month. My slider isn't perfect. Got some "oreo" action, but it doesn't bother me much. Really isn't more than I'd expect from a slider phone.
    I hear the hero is way laggy. Laggier than pre ever is
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Saw many Videos of the Hero and it lagged terribly with barely 3 apps on. HTC did not juice it with a big enough processor to support sense ui. I love android but I think the Hero is a fail. It's to slow...
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    ... but I think the Hero is a fail
    "failure"
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    "failure"
    Ha ha! Thanks for improving the forums "Mom." Maybe you should study up on pop culture a little more. Here's a primer for you: FAIL Blog: Pictures and Videos of Owned, Pwnd and Fail Moments
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    "failure"
    Internets much?
    Quote Originally Posted by kabamm View Post
    pfft. I've had a lot of Blackberries and a couple Treos and I'd say the Pre is quite competitive on hardware quality. WebOS certainly lacks a lot of options at the moment as you say, but the hardware issues are overblown and the device is quite pleasant to use.
    I generally refrain from commenting sometimes but i take umbrage to this part of your sophistry, "I've had a lot of Blackberries and a couple Treos and I'd say the Pre is quite competitive on hardware quality . Hold a Treo Pro or any recent AfroBerry in your hand and tell me what you think. The hardware of the Pre is the most disappointing part of the whole experience.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    The hardware of the Pre is the most disappointing part of the whole experience.
    I keep looking for the "Mattel" logo.
    Quote Originally Posted by kabamm View Post
    Totally agree. Because of my job I get to work with various smartphones. I've played with the curve, treo, storm, bold etc. They all felt light and cheap for the most part. But they seem to hold up well enough (depending on the user) so I've learned looks and feel isn't the best guage of quality. For me only the Iphone stands out which is not surprising as Apple prides themselves on looks over function(imo). Nevertheless it's still a problematic device. Except for the smooth surface (which I do like), the Pre feels no different than the average smartphone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast