Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been using TealOS on my 700p and wondering whether there's really any good reason to trade my 700p with

Bluetooth tethering,
    Kinoma with radio streaming and WMV,
    Ptunes with radio streaming,
    Atari ST emulation via CaSTaway software,
    Video camera,
    Datebk6,
    Voice Dial,
    Hotsync,
    4 gigs of app-running SD card based external memory,
    and over 1000 powerful, sophisticated apps

For a Palm Pre with about 100 weak amateurish apps and none of the above features?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    For you, it sounds like moving to a Pre at this point would be a mistake.

I ditched my Treo and all my apps for the ease of using the Pre, a more intuitive interface, and a huge screen that makes reading my emails so, so much easier. Of course, my being an old fart, makes all of those very important features.

There are lots of little programs that I miss. Eventually the Pre Ap Store will have something that more or less fills those needs. But there just are not the myriad proven programs available with which are available for Treos.

I have considered using Classic until that time (and would have jumped for half the price) but it has just not been worth it to me to this point, just to be able to use the games and utilities I had learned to rely on.

I am surprised you left off a bluetooth keyboard off your list. The Tethering and the loss of by Stowaway Keyboard for note taking were what I miss most although in many places I travel there is free WiFi access for my laptop.

Harlan
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hlachman View Post

I am surprised you left off a bluetooth keyboard off your list. The Tethering and the loss of by Stowaway Keyboard for note taking were what I miss most although in many places I travel there is free WiFi access for my laptop.

Harlan
    I left off the Stowaway keyboard because I've never tried one. But there's a whole lot more items I could have added to that list. Once you put TealOS onto a Treo so its got the PseudoPre look and feel, it becomes very difficult to see the Pre as the more powerful platform. Yes it has true multitasking, a bigger screen and a better, faster browser but the Treo has a better keyboard, stands up to abuse like a Mack truck, and, for now, still has the more hackable and versatile OS.
    Stick with the Treo for now until WebOS matures. Personally I'm giving them until the Hero to update and add some actual features which should launch on Sprint in October. WebOS is very bare bones right now.

I caught a lot of crap for saying that Pre-release turned out to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by hlachman View Post
    For you, it sounds like moving to a Pre at this point would be a mistake.

I ditched my Treo and all my apps for the ease of using the Pre, a more intuitive interface, and a huge screen that makes reading my emails so, so much easier. Of course, my being an old fart, makes all of those very important features.

There are lots of little programs that I miss. Eventually the Pre Ap Store will have something that more or less fills those needs. But there just are not the myriad proven programs available with which are available for Treos.

I have considered using Classic until that time (and would have jumped for half the price) but it has just not been worth it to me to this point, just to be able to use the games and utilities I had learned to rely on.

Harlan
    Well said, I am with you. I jumped early and get everything I need. I do use a Sprint Air Card from time to time. ( seems like less and less though due to more free wi fi access ) Tethering would be nice. But I also believe CDMA has a limitation to just voice or just data at the same time, where GSM will allow you to tether and talk simultaneously ?

I do really like the Pre a lot , and it has met my exectations so far. Palm has updated the OS 4 times each time it has improved my experience. I think it coming along nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    I've been using TealOS on my 700p and wondering whether there's really any good reason to trade my 700p with

Bluetooth tethering,
    Video camera,
    Datebk6,
    Voice Dial,
    Hotsync,

For a Palm Pre with about 100 weak amateurish apps and none of the above features?
    Nope. Not unless you're interested in trading in your 12 year old technology for something new. You might even discover you like the phone so much that you stop trolling on the Pre web sites.

Yes it has true multitasking, a bigger screen and a better, faster browser but the Treo has a better keyboard, stands up to abuse like a Mack truck, and, for now, still has the more hackable and versatile OS.
    So why did you ask???

Oh yeah, the troll thing... my bad
  7.    #7  
    Name calling is a poor way to enter a discussion. And I'd love to trade in my 12 year old tech for something better if I didn't have to give up my tethering, my SD card, my videocam, my stylus, my internet radio, Kinoma, Datebk6, customized system sounds, Atari emulation, threaded SMS, and Hotsync'd contacts and memos. If the Pixie had a memory card I'd buy that instead of a Pre.
    Name calling is a poor way to enter a discussion. And I'd love to trade in my 12 year old tech for something better if I didn't have to give up my tethering, my SD card, my videocam, my stylus, my internet radio, Kinoma, Datebk6, customized system sounds, Atari emulation, threaded SMS, and Hotsync'd contacts and memos. If the Pixie had a memory card I'd buy that instead of a Pre.
    And you knew every bit of that before you started the discussion. You weren't seriously asking if there was a good reason to change out; you already had your answer - for you, there is not.

What you were doing is looking for an opportunity to bash the new product which you are obiously having issues about. Simply looking for a reason to bash a device on a forum thread about that device is called trolling.

FWIW (probably not much, since I don't believe you're actually looking for discussion), if the Pixie had a memory card, you'd still have to give up videocam, stylus, Kinoma, Datebk6, Atari emulation, threaded SMS, and Hotsynced' conacts and memos (the Pixie might have SD card, and you can do tethering and internet radio with WebOS).
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I've turned my 755 into a wonderous notepad. I don't get the feel with the pre keyboard that I got with the 755 - and the 755 is a writing insturment for me.

That being said - I never used my old treo to do what I do with the pre. If I had to set one down, I would euthanise the 755 - I can learn to love the pre keyboard...

I just like having the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by tarhead; 08/01/2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Pre ketboard mishap...:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What you were doing is looking for an opportunity to bash the new product which you are obiously having issues about. Simply looking for a reason to bash a device on a forum thread about that device is called trolling.
    My my - someone sure is springloaded to the jerk position. Sounds to me like the OP has done his research, is still interested in a Pre, so he queries a board with potentially hundreds of people who have gone through the same thought process (Treo --> Pre) to see what made them choose the Pre. Your over-the-top responses indicate some sort of deep-seated angst over even the slightest hint of a critical question about the Pre. What's up with that?
    RolandStone, you might want to take a look at the Treo Pro.

And there's a serious effort under way to bring custom ROMs to the Treo Pro too. Which will really take that device to another level.

Unless you just have problems with WM in general.
    It really depends on your priorities. I've had Treos since the 600, and my son currently has my old 700p. While I used to use game emulators and tethering from time to time, I really didn't use them enough to justify keeping them, when balanced with a much larger screen (I watch quite a bit of video and Sprint TV), smaller form factor, and interesting OS.

To each his own, I guess.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G

Bluetooth tethering,
    Video camera,
    Datebk6,
    Voice Dial,
    Hotsync,

It's pretty clear that you've already made up your mind to keep your Treo 700p. About all I can say in response is that the few Apps available for the Pre are hardly amateurish. The truly amateurish apps would be the Pre homebrew apps - and even many of those are excellent. (I actually like Twee better than Tweed and Spaz, the Pre's two official App Catalog apps.) And there is also a way to hack the Pre to enable Bluetooth tethering.

The Pre can use many of the same web apps which have been created for the iPhone over the years. And as far as streaming is concerned, I can do that with PrePod which is an excellent podcatcher. I can't really help you with .wmv but I can sync with iTunes. In any case, unless you buy a bigger SD card than the one you currently own or are constantly swapping cards, you are restricted to about half the Pre's 8GB capacity.

I can use Datebk5 and other PalmOS apps on my Pre using the Classic emulator which promises to be able to Hotsync in the future. That's the real upside of the Pre. Just because it's not ready for you to use now, it almost certainly will be in the future. It has powerful, open, easily hackable OS which makes the Pre much more stable than any PalmOS device I've ever owned.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    RolandStone, you might want to take a look at the Treo Pro.

And there's a serious effort under way to bring custom ROMs to the Treo Pro too. Which will really take that device to another level.

Unless you just have problems with WM in general.
    I haven't heard of many WM fans! What I've heard has been negative enough to keep me from investigating deeper. I wonder how long it will be, if ever, before Palm revives the Treo form factor but with WebOS? THAT would certainly get my attention!
  15.    #15  
    I really haven't made a decision whether to ditch my Treo for a Pre, mainly because I have made the decision not to ditch Verizon for Sprint. So I have until early 2010 to make up my mind. Hopefully by then we'll see some better apps for WebOS. As for "amateurish" apps, I guess I was thinking about chess, which I play a LOT on my Treo. (And yes I know I could probably still use Open Chess on the Pre via Classic.) But from what I've read the current WebOS homebrew Chess app is a very poor player. (For what it's worth, my wife has a Blackberry Storm and the chess app for that also sucks.) My other favorite game on the Treo is Warfare, Inc. which, from what I've read, is only a tease under Classic. It opens up and shows the starting animations but is unplayable once you actually start to play. And then of course there's Kinoma which I use all the time to listen to internet radio - not just podcasts - but realtime over-the-air radio stations that have streaming internet counterparts. From what I've read, internet radio is not available yet on the Pre. I hope the Pre gets Kinoma or PocketTunes by January.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Nope. Not unless you're interested in trading in your 12 year old technology for something new. You might even discover you like the phone so much that you stop trolling on the Pre web sites.

So why did you ask???

Oh yeah, the troll thing... my bad
    Here's a guy asking a legitimate question and ONCE AGAIN, you pull the "you're a troll" card.

You fanboys need simply to do one thing if you don't like the poster's contribution..... DONT READ THE THREAD!!!!!

The level of blind fanboy mania here is absolutely ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Here's a guy asking a legitimate question and ONCE AGAIN, you pull the "you're a troll" card.

You fanboys need simply to do one thing if you don't like the poster's contribution..... DONT READ THE THREAD!!!!!

Do you want to see it again? I'll do it.
    I think this is a legitimate thread because I am in the same boat. I've been following the Pre since CES. I felt like my prayers were answered . . . A smart phone with an iphone like browser, large screen AND a physical keyboard. The multitasking was just gravy. I was so excited that I purchased PALM stock (that's was a great idea . . . more than doubled my $).

At first, it seemed like a no brainer. I was going to toss Verizon and the 755p to the side and welcome the Pre into my life. On release day, I drove to the local Sprint store . . . found out that they still had 10 in stock . . . BUT I couldn't pull the trigger and I am not sure why?

Then I started making excuses why I needed to wait . . . . Sprint coverage? (but I have heard Sprint is pretty good in my area). Docs2go w/ email support b/c I need it for work (but I just found out on these forums that I can use my Palm OS Docs2go on Classic and apparently I can attach the docs using the native WebOS email). Now its no Sling or ORB to stream live TV (NFL & Cavs + law school = must have right? . . . but I have an Itouch . . . I could just use that! Or is it b/c there isn't copy n paste on the web and I'd need that when doing research on Wireless Westlaw . . . or is it the lack of Spellcheck . . . or no Remote Desktop (using RDM+ on the treo now) . . . AHHHH!

So I am sure you will tell me I should keep the 755p and just wait until the Pre matures w/ more apps and improved features. But I can't stop obsessing about the Pre!! I want this Phone!! What should I do???
    buy it
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Here's a guy asking a legitimate question and ONCE AGAIN, you pull the "you're a troll" card. [/QUOTR]
    I gues we disagree that it was a "legitimate question"

[QUITE=treobk214;1797637]You fanboys need simply to do one thing if you don't like the poster's contribution..... DONT READ THE THREAD!!!!!

So a Treo owner is defending another Treo owner's post on a Pre forum from a Pre owner.

You were saying something about "fanboy mania" I believe...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast