1.    #1  
    An interesting quick read from the perspective of BeOS users and the current Palm situation:

http://news.begroovy.com/article/252

It'd be sad to loose another OS, but, alas, that's the way it's always been I suppose...
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I'm more worried about Palm right now, more than anything else. They have already burned through most of the 1 billion dollars they got from the IPO, management is in turmoil, there are rumors of further layoffs in the works(100-400) people, there are problems with the M505, Microsoft is gaining serious ground in the enterprise, and Palm's OS is so old and creaky that PocketPC is seen by some as "superior". Even the Palm fan sites are starting to defect: PalmGuru is now a PocketPC user, so is Jeff Kirvin. And there are rumors that Hal at PalmStation has jumped ship and gone to the PPC camp as well (that may explain why his site sucks so badly, for news).

Things are damn scary right now kids. I have to admit to a certain level of enjoyment in seeing Palm squirm, as punishment for its arrogance and lack of innovation, but it scares the sh!t out of me to think that Palm could be headed for the abyss.
    I saw my first Palm prime-time commercial last night (advocating the flag ship m505). That's exactly what's needed - more traditional (albeit more expensive) means of advertising. Making a good product isn't enough. People need to know it exists. Add the multimedia and wireless, the processor and multi-tasking OS. Make it look good on paper, in hand, and in pocket. Offer a compatible unit with only the basics and a significantly lower price-tag. Are they in trouble? Doubtless. But the match has been lit and Palm is movin'.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Palm just cleared a major hurdle:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=2596

Thank god! If this sale had been rejected, it would have killed Palm's future.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    Thank god! If this sale had been rejected, it would have killed Palm's future.
    I agree it would be nice if Palm pulled a similar move to OSX (ie, took BeOS for the multimedia, multi-threading, etc, and placed Palm's interface over the top of it). However, in order to pull it off, they need to port it, place it on the StrongARM processor, and do it all within 6 months. Otherwise, the PPC tank (we're talking Sherman here, not Abrams) will most likely erode whatever lead Palm still has, IMHO. Given the complexity of such porting projects, I just don't see that happening.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Originally posted by sowens
    However, in order to pull it off, they need to port it, place it on the StrongARM processor, and do it all within 6 months.
    From the impression I got when talking to Mike Mace on PDAbuzz's message board, it looks like it will be closer to 12 months.

Otherwise, the PPC tank (we're talking Sherman here, not Abrams) will most likely erode whatever lead Palm still has, IMHO.
    I don't see how PocketPC will ever be a threat to the Palm platform, at least not in the consumer market. As long as PocketPC's are priced in $500-$700 range, it doesn't stand a chance. PPC will win the enterprise, but it will never take more than a small foothold in consumer electronics sales.