Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've always been kind of intrigued by Android phones, but after seeing the G1 I had no interest in getting one.

Lately I've been reading and watching videos about the HTC Hero... OMG, this thing looks SWEET.

The fact it's built on Android but actually has a GOOD interface, that's a win win.

From what I've read there are some negatives such as a **** poor camera and some "sluggishness".. then again my Pre bogs down from time to time.

It's also rumored to be coming to Sprint.. yikes!

I'm by no means ready to drop my Pre, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye on the European launch as well as the US launch later this year!
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    The Hero is an interesting phone. It seems to the most well thought out Android phone. It does a lot of things better than the Pre, such as mail, browser, and the multimedia apps. If I didn't have the Pre, I'd definately would be interested in it.
    Android is cool, but after my Kaiser i would never buy another phone with the same crappy Qualcomm processor.

check here: www . htcclassaction . org
    basically the chip has an on board ATI chip...but no drivers. And neither HTC or Qualcomm seem to care.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    It is indeed a good step forward for Android but I would be waiting for Samsung's Android offering. I'm expecting them to outdo the Hero if they are planning to also come to Sprint later this year.
    Hero looks interesting so far!!... but no physical keyboard and reports of an underpowered processor will probably keep me away for now....
  6.    #6  
    I was worried about the slowness reports as well, but then saw one reviewer that pointed out the default configuration has a ton of widgets running.
    So you basically already have a bunch of stuff running and then open some more apps and stuff and it bogs it down.

I think that's just the nature of the beast, same thing happens on my Pre if I open some apps.. really slows down.

Definitely want to check out things about the Samsung one.

I kind of wrote off Android after seeing the G1, but now I'm all jazzed about it again.
    I just read on phonearena.com that a source leaked that the HTC Hero is slated to be release on Oct 1 this year. I am excited to see how it operates and try it for myself. It will take a lot to make me rid my Pre. But if it is better than I will give it a go. Just have to wait and see.
    This would probably my second choice for a phone, but the Pre is my first choice
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I'd like to try out a android phone and the Hero looks preety cool.

If i get the Hero it will be more of a testing out of curiosity thing so would i be able to activate the hero and deactivate my pre for a month or too then swap back to my Pre? Also is there a fee for doing this and can i do this at home myself or would I have to take the phones back to the store to do this?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I've been following this phone for a while now, and im stoked to hear its coming to sprint.

I've had my pre for a little over a month now and I'm getting tired of the slider.

A physical keyboard is nice, but im not really a fan of the cramped style palm has gone with.

The hero is freaking sexy, but not as cute as my river rock pre.

I remember watching videos of WebOS and being amazed, but to be honest I'm quite disappointed with the final product. I'm sure the hero won't be perfect either...

I would have taken a hero over my pre, but I needed a new phone asap so I couldn't wait. However, if i like the hero when it comes, I plan on selling my pre and picking up a hero.

I've never really been a palm fan, and I'm still not, i'd still be using my SK if i could.
    The Hero is a dumb device. It's based on the same hardware as the G1 which was the prototype for developing Android since 2006. It's ancient and it absolutely cannot cope with the UI.

The UI itself is a failure. The navigation scheme makes no sense. The widgets consume CPU power and memory and take up space while doing nothing of importance. The only useful widget is the one for quick settings, which on the Pre are universally available via a simple menu.

Widgets have been hyped for long but now the Hero shows they're pointless. Look carefully, they really mimic the Pre cards, but with half the functionality and the performance is bad.

HTC is a hardware manufacturer. All these manufacturers are going to bury Android with their branded and unusable UIs.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    its a phone bro, not a computer.

although, i have to agree with you about the widgets... ._.
    Thinking more about those widgets trying to compensate for the lack of a card-like UI: instead of being able to move between cards, notice that you move between screens containing widgets instead.

Android apps are full screen, you don't move between them. So instead they have card-like widgets that you can swipe screens sideways to get to.

Also, what about 3rd party apps? Now they look awkward within the Sense UI.

Again this is just the first Android monstrosity coming from manufacturers.
    I yesterday played a friends Hero for 20-30 minutes or so and it only slowed down (slightly) every ~20 swipe. It felt like it only happened when several widgets were updating info from the web at the same time.

If the GSM Pre arent released (or at least announced) before the end of August then I will get a Hero too. Sweet phone.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    The UI itself is a failure. The navigation scheme makes no sense.
    Hey sivan,
    Just wondering how long you got to use the Hero before coming to this conclusion.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    looks cool...
    Quote Originally Posted by bwze View Post
    looks cool...
    Seem okay... but I perfer TP2 over style
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    Hey sivan,
    Just wondering how long you got to use the Hero before coming to this conclusion.

Thanks.
    I didnt, it's not available. I've watched the videos. I presume you like it based on the same available info.

I do own a G1 and am well aware of its shortcomings, though I'd prefer the stock Android UI.

Are you going to debate any of my points? Looking forward to it.
    I am also considering giving up my Pre for the Hero which is coming in October. I love the Pre, don't get me wrong.... its just that it has the crappiest battery life of any phone I have ever had. Even with GPS and WiFi turned of, its still no good.

And also the keyboard, while fairly usable, could be more spacious. Does anyone who has had actual hands-on experience with both care to share some pros/cons between the two?
  20.    #20  
    Sivan,
    Before I answer your questions, I was just asking the question since it seemed like you were talking from experience, no need to get defensive.

I didnt, it's not available. I've watched the videos. I presume you like it based on the same available info.
    It actually is available in Europe and people have imported it into the US to use on EDGE since it doesn't support US 3G.

I do like it based on those videos, but made no conclusions weather it was a winner or failure.

Are you going to debate any of my points? Looking forward to it.
    Again, not interested in debating, I simply asked a question.
    It's my opinion that calling an interface a failure, without having tried it, is a bit premature.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast