Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In my ongoing quest to prove that PocketPC is better than Palm, I bring you prices that will amaze and astound!

The iPaq 3670 available at CompUSA for $299! Get it for $399 and use this link to get a $100 rebate. Thats the 3670, the highest 3600 model, with 64mb RAM (as opposed to 32 of the other 3600 models)

If thats not good enough, goto
    Cool Electronics and print out the page, then goto Staples to pricematch it. After the Compaq $150 mail-in rebate, you pay around $200! Thats the iPaq 3635, with the compact flash sleeve!

For $195, compared to things like the Visor Platinum or the Palm m125, its a steal! MP3's, DivX, Windows Media formats, Word and Excel compatible out-of-the-box, expandable with standard compact flash, flashable ROM for PocketPC 2002, support for PCMCIA cards, the list goes on!!!

Can your Palm do that? Not unless its holding a Pocket PC!
    Originally posted by thejckal
    For $195, compared to things like the Visor Platinum or the Palm m125, its a steal! MP3's, DivX, Windows Media formats, Word and Excel compatible out-of-the-box, expandable with standard compact flash, flashable ROM for PocketPC 2002, support for PCMCIA cards, the list goes on!!!
    yeah, but it doesn't run the palm os, which is what i, and many others, want. why is that so difficult to understand?

mc

Ok So why I am not excited? Oh yea! Its because it's a Pocket PC! Ding me when you see some sweet deals on the Visor or Clie.
    Originally posted by mensachicken

yeah, but it doesn't run the palm os, which is what i, and many others, want. why is that so difficult to understand?

mc
    I'll second this.
    It's amusing that a device with such an impressive feature list can suck so badly. I guess my needs are better served by implementation and functionality than by features implementated regardless of the sacrifices needing to be made (such as battery life and ease of use).
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    In my ongoing quest to prove that PocketPC is better than Palm, I bring you prices that will amaze and astound!

The iPaq 3670 available at CompUSA for $299! Get it for $399 and use this link to get a $100 rebate. Thats the 3670, the highest 3600 model, with 64mb RAM (as opposed to 32 of the other 3600 models)

If thats not good enough, goto
    Cool Electronics and print out the page, then goto Staples to pricematch it. After the Compaq $150 mail-in rebate, you pay around $200! Thats the iPaq 3635, with the compact flash sleeve!

If only it had Palm OS on it and then it would be perfect. But it doesn't. It runs PocketPC.
    I have a friend at school who has an iPaq. The graphics look great on it. But he can barely figure out how to use it for putting in his assignments which was what it was purchased for.

Being able to view Word and Excel files "out-of-the-box" means squat if the programs are clearly inferior to even the most basic of editors available for the Palm OS.

As far as video players, thats what I have gMovie for. The cameras available for the PocketPC are not as good as the Eyemodule2. As far as expansion, the wide range of expansion options available for the visor is far superior to the iPaq (Springboard, CF, SM, MS, SD, and MMC). As far as flashable ROM, I can see the need with a Microsoft-based OS to update quite often so flashable ROM is a necessity.

I do admit though that the prices are at least approaching sanity levels for most people, after you dig for rebates on the net.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    My dad really wants a CLIE760, so if you happen to find a great deal feel free to let me know.

Otherwise, unless you find someone giving the iPaq away, my money is being spent on other things. Like new software for my CLIE...
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  8. mtn
    thejckal,

It would appear that the Cool Electronics units are "Quality refurbished." The Compaq rebate indicates that it is not valid for refurbished units:

"The rebate is not available on refurbished iPAQ Pocket PC product purchased through Compaq Factory Outlet or other resellers."

Do you know something I don't? Am I missing something?

I've had a Visor since they first came out and have been happy with it, but if this rebate is truly valid, and I can get a PPC for less than $200, I'll have to bail on HS.

What's the scoop?
    Mark N.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    It's amusing that a device with such an impressive feature list can suck so badly. I guess my needs are better served by implementation and functionality than by features implementated regardless of the sacrifices needing to be made (such as battery life and ease of use).
    I'm ashamed to admit it but I have been using the HP Jornada 568 as my main PDa for about a month. PPC 2002 is much improved, but the thing apps that make it great are WisBar (free) and DashBoard (~ $10). These apps totally transform the device.

Using them as my main UI, the OS is not only completely skinnable (hundreds available), but it is also easier to use than Palm OS. Yeah I know that's hard to believe, but it's true (at least for me). The beast is still way expensive and about the size of a Prism (a brick), but it is truly amazing.

The main battery is good for 12-14 hours, is replaceable and as an option, there is a 24-28 hour battery shipping in a couple of months. There is also a back-up battery in the device.

IMHO - Palm needs to get on the stick. As much as it pains me to admit it, MS is really close to getting it right.
    Well i think palm is finally getting there attention the OS. with there recent talk about Security, and BE, im hoping they will be coming out with a much improved OS in only a few years.

By the way, if palm comes out with say Palm OS 5.0, Would there be a way for me to upgrade my sony from 4.1 to 5.0? or would sony not care about a new os.
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    Originally posted by robert sibell

By the way, if palm comes out with say Palm OS 5.0, Would there be a way for me to upgrade my sony from 4.1 to 5.0? or would sony not care about a new os.
    Depends if the Sony has a flashable Rom, if not, they could release a patch file like handspring does.
    they do 4mb flash
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    That is your first mistake. "Better" is irrelevent where personal preference is concerned. Value has a different meaning to different users. If you believe PPC is better based on features...then yes it is..for you.

The iPaq 3670 available at CompUSA for $299! Get it for $399
    And the dust under the screen comes at no extra cost! How cool is that!

MP3's, DivX, Windows Media formats, Word and Excel compatible out-of-the-box, expandable with standard compact flash, flashable ROM for PocketPC 2002, support for PCMCIA cards, the list goes on!!!
    That's assuming of course that people want all those features. The MP3 is desirable to me, but I don't want or need the rest.

My PDA is thin, lightweight, and can be carried unnoticed in my pocket....can your PocketPC do that? Didn't think so.

Different strokes for different folks. End of story.
    Reading a post by Dietrichbohn about PDA quality, he mentions that Sony is charging for some sort of upgrade, but I can't speak for them about OS 5.0, I can't stand Sony anyway.
    you shouldnt judge sony by there company, but by there cool products
    you shouldnt judge sony by there company, but by there cool products
    I'll judge who I want to how I want to, anyway, like Sony is the only company making cool products
    I'll judge who I want to how I want to, anyway, like Sony is the only company making cool products
    ------------------------------------------------
    did i feel a sense of sarcasm there?

did i feel a sense of sarcasm there?
    No, I just don't like their products, every one I've had broke, or if it was stereo equipment - didn't sound as good as my JVC equipment. Just like my preference for Chevrolet vehicles, I had a FORD and I had to FixOrRepairDaily, so I got an S-10, I'm on my 4th one now, the past three have made it past 200k miles, not a bad track record.
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    No, I just don't like their products, every one I've had broke...
    That's been my impression of Handspring for the past six months.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

That's been my impression of Handspring for the past six months.
    Reading these posts about the QC problems a lot of people seem to be having, I guess I'm lucky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast