1.    #1  
    Edge, M505, Clie, Prism, & IPac
    This is a review from a non-techie college student. (An *****)

Since I am in the market for a color I did my own test. This is my "opinion" from what I experienced today.
    I started by buying the M505, which I will return tomorrow. Then a good friend let me use his day old Clie 760. He never used a PDA before so it was easy talk him into letting me set it up for him. As for the Edge, I have owned the silver one since august. Before that the blue VDX. The Prism and the IPac I went to CompUsa & BestBuy.
    Take a small piece of paper putt under tongue and.... "The colors, the colors". That is the main thing I can say about the prism. The colors on it seem over exaggerated, like that "loud" Hawaiian shirt I own. Compared to the Clie & M505 hands down Prism is color king. The M505, I wonít even consider color. I tried all angles, light, and dimming, the color stinks. I read somewhere in VC's posts, "its like looking through fog". The same with the Clie, foggy. I did notice on the Clie their better screen resolution. I still think it is not as great as people say **** non-the less its good. The IPac has the best color, **** PocketPC is too hard to navigate. My opinion of an easy way to test all these devices is play Zap on them.
    The Prism is huge compared to the others, especially compared to my tiny Edge. I don't understand how HS can justify its size. M505 is a perfect size. Just like my Edge. The Clie is almost there, **** I will take the M505. I when I am out, or on a date with my girlfriend, and I am not wearing a suit or a coat, I like to put my Edge in my front pants pocket. I canít do that with the Prism. I might be able do it with Clie. Itís that darn springboard slot.
    That leads me to expansion. HS pioneered it with SB. (I know handera TGRpro). Clie took their MS already used in there products. Palm is almost there, I say this because itís so small. I really don't want to carry around a Huge 8mb Springboard, or MS that would break in my pocket. Palms little 16mb, I can carry in my wallet. The SB is good for novelty things like eyemodule and mp3 players. The best idea was the VisorPhone. I would get one **** its too big on my Edge. I love the idea of my removable SB slot on my Edge. I only use it when I need it. I found the transfers from the MS on the Clie to be faster than I thought, slower on the palm. **** the palm is so small it could go in my wallet.
    As for speed, the Edge is the fastest. The Clie is the slowest. I don't understand, don't they use the same processors? I assume the Prism is slower than the Edge, do to the color.
    Now the Clie and its mp3-ability!! Wow no need for extra hardware. I could have a whole MS for music. Ok the sound sucked on the Clie. I canít get it loud. The sound quality stinks. **** the good thing is I don't need extra hardware. Go Clie. Do I really need a mp3 player?....NO. I think I just need more memory. Ok I have said nothing up to this point. Will probably say nothing next.
    My final decision: I am not going with a color PDA. I am going to wait for a color Edge. <insert a guy on his knees praying> If had to go with a color one.....I would go with the Prism. The $299 is the biggest helper. If all the prices were the same I would go with the M505 cause its size, even though the color sucks on it. I am not knocking the Clie, it doesn't fit my lifestyle or my wallet. Handspring, Sony, Handera, and Palm need to make a new color unit before X-mas. I think HS will first. Sony just came out with the Clie 410, Palm is splitting and their CEO Carl Yankmychain just quit today.

Hey baby before we start do you mind if we use my M505?
    No not for that!!!!!!!!!!
    Use it to reffer to PalmaSutra, silly???????
  2.    #2  
    Just want to say sorry to everyone on my post. I said nothing and just rambled.

BTW: i took back the M505..I will stick with the EDGE

Sorry.
    i got the clie 760, how could you say the sound quality could be bad? have you ever compared it to other mp3 players? well this is my first mp3 player, and i dont know how much clearer you can get. also, the colors on the prism are great, but i could see deep DEEP black pixel dividers, which looked ugly. i dont know what you mean by foggy on the clie. maybe the brightness wasnt up all the way, or you just looked at wrong colors. or there was a screen protecting the actual screen. and the memory sticks im sure wouldnt crack in your pocket, unless you wear super super tight jeans, becuase of the thiness.
    what did you use to test speed? of course it takes a few seconds to run an app of MS, that is true for all VFS exept springboard. you should also consider battery life
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
  4.    #4  
    Well I have used the RIO mp3 Player and that's what I compared the sound to. At best buy they have speakers hooked to their bolted down unit, and i also used my friends headphones on his. I just don't think the sound quality was there. I didn't mean to say it sucked hard. It didn't WOW me, thats all. I do think Its a good step away from the seperate Hardware mp3's for PDA's.
    As for color, I did play with the brightness and different light situations. I do love the Clie's screen res., but not the colors. I wish i could take the res of the Clie and the colors of the Prism and put it on the M505.
    Actually, I have all of the PDAs that you are talking about (along with most of the others that are currently available). For months the m505 and the Sony have been the champions. On a given day, I could be carrying either one.

For me, the screen resolution, brightness and MP3 capabilities of the Sony are just about offset by the size and convenience of the m505.

The Prism has a gorgeous display, but is a brick. If I carried a purse or backpack and never needed to use it outside, it might still be the favorite. But I do sit outside and read a lot of days and it so just so d**n big and not much different except for the screen and SpringBoard slot (which I don't use). But I do love that display inside. Actually, I do use the SpringBoard cover to hold a small pad of post-its.

The Edge is just a different beast. It is a bullet-proof mono unit. The batteries last longer and it is just tough. It is the unit to carry if you are going for physical abuse. It is solid and relatively small. The display is good (for mono), but if you do need the backlight, the batteries are not going to last long.

The iPAQ is nice, but by the time you hook on a sled for external storage or communications attached, it is much bigger than the Prism. That isn't acceptable.

For the last couple of weeks, there has been a new winner. I don't know how long it will last, but I have been using a new HP Jornada 568. 64 MB of memory with a 256 MB compact flash card. It has a removable 14 hour battery and a backup battery. It has a gorgeous reflective screen (OK, blue is a little saturated, but I can live with it) with 64K colors. The new Pocket PC 2002 is just a tweaked version of the previous version, but those tweaks make a huge difference (to me). With WisBar (free) and DashBoard ($13.00), you have a completely skinnable UI that is easier to use than the Palm OS (personal opinion again). I can rip DVDs and put them on the compact flash to watch later. I can listen to MP3s (should have my iPod next week). I can play Doom and Quake on it and even synch it with OSX (hurry up Palm).

I don't know if I will keep using the PPC most of the time, since it is roughly Prism sized (slightly longer, but not at thick), but right now, it is incredible.
    I just traded up on my Visor Deluxe and after doing my own head to head tests, I decided to go with the Clie (my bro-in-law is in awe and will buying a 610CV soon).

I don't agree the screen is like looking through a fog, the resolution is fantastic and the color is plenty brilliant enough to me. Color and screen quality is totally a matter of preference and a matter of needs. A person doing any work on their PDA outside would not choose the Prism, then again if you are looking for a PDA that seconds as a mirror, the Prism is the way to go! The M505 seems the middle of the road to me, better outside than the Prism but not as good as either the Prism or Clie inside.

As for the size, we all agree the Prism is a brick but as I mentioned in a previous post, the M505 is not for everyone. Sure the Palm is shorter and thinner, but it is also wider than the Clie so someone with a smaller hand will likely prefer the Clie (like my wife). The M505 fits better in my pants but the Clie fits better in my hand (not to mention the Jog Dial and back button).

If I had one dig on my Clie, it would be the buttons. I prefer the more substantial buttons of the Visors and Palms. I am not a gamer but I don't understand how gamers could play games using those Clie buttons!
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    Brad,

I'm assuming you don't have to pay for all your handhelds...(apologies if you do)...How much will that Jordana set an average person back?

I think the $299 price tag of the Prism has to be considered in any comparison.

Cheers

Randy
    Originally posted by culo77
    Edge, M505, Clie, Prism, & IPac
    This is a review from a non-techie college student. (An *****)

...I when I am out, or on a date with my girlfriend, and I am not wearing a suit or a coat, I like to put my Edge in my front pants pocket. I canít do that with the Prism. I might be able do it with Clie. Itís that darn springboard slot.
    Do I detect a completely new application for the Edge here? Having it in your front pocket whenever you are on a date with your girlfriend implies some interesting ideas you must have had to come up with this type of use ;-) Too bad I have a Prism and can't try it out hehe.
    </font></B><BR><FONT face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" >It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. - Hit it.</font>
    Actually I do pay for all of them. I don't have a lot of other vices and manage to use one hobby (scuba instructor) pay for another.

The 565 (32 MB) is $599.
    The 568 (64 MB) is $699.

Yeah, you're right, the price difference is important. But to me, convenience and features are worth the price of a soda or a couple of candy bars a day. So if I am going to use a device for at least a year (hasn't happened yet, but maybe someday ), then at a buck a day, it is worth the price difference to get the best there is.

I'm not saying that the HP is necessarily the best. It just seems that way to me.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by nightingales

Do I detect a completely new application for the Edge here? Having it in your front pocket whenever you are on a date with your girlfriend implies some interesting ideas you must have had to come up with this type of use ;-) Too bad I have a Prism and can't try it out hehe.
    Well my edge is handy on dates. A great example is "Palmasutra", there has been a handful of times that i grabbed my Edge off my night stand to referance the Palmasutra app. Chicks usually laugh at first **** read the notes and one thing leads to another and......i usualy pull a muscle or wake up sore in the morning.

**** i depend on my PDA that i cant go anywhere without it. thats why i need such a small size...i dont want my PDA out bulgeing the other things in my pants