1.    #1  
    Can I use Palm Desktop 4.0.1 I have been using with my Visor Deluxe or do I have to install and use the one that comes with my Clie?
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    As long as your CLIE has OS4.0 on it, you could just get the USB Drivers off the CD and you should be fine.

If it is the 710, you will probably have to load the software in order to get USB Switcher working.

You might be better off installing the software anyway.

Are you planning on having a Visor attached as well?
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  3.    #3  
    Yes my wife still has her Deluxe, so I was hoping we could use the same software even if we could not use the same cradle.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    Here is what I finally had to do, as I use the Clie and a Deluxe on my WIN98 Machine.

1. Install all the Clie Software, including the drivers for the Audio program and also MSImport/MSExport.

2. Make sure that all the features of the Clie are working properly on your machine.

3. Insert the Deluxe into the cradle and Windows should find new hardware.

4. Cancel that.

5. Go to Control Panel and New Hardware Found. Tab through all the Next options until you can pick your own hardware from a list.

6. You should see "Handspring Handheld" in the list.

7. Choose it and hit Next. This should install the USB drivers for the Deluxe.

This is the only way that I could get both units to work. I am going to put a link to a thread I started about the exact same thing.

VC Thread

Take a look at it as well. Be advised, if the Clie you are using has OS4.0, you do not need USB Switcher.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2