Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Apple vs. Palm: Fresh shots across the bow - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Brainstorm Tech

Interesting paragraph:

"Abramsky’s research contradicts reports — repeated in the AAPL Sanity debate — that the Pre’s return rates might be as high as 40%. “Most buyers,” he writes, “appear delighted with their new Pre user experience.” He estimates returns at 2% – 3%, which he says are in line with average smartphone returns."
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    That would be great for Palm if it was 2-3%. Although I think it's going to be around the 20% range +/- 5% is my guess. I hope I'm wrong though.

Now I think the amount of phones that are really justified to be returned is going to be low, 5% tops. As in phone that actually have a defect that affects them working. The higher number will probably be people not happy with the play in the slider.

I had 3 die on me, this current one I have is perfect but does slide back and forth just under 5mm, which i'm not returning it for a loose slider. My other ones either had problems shutting off when i closed the slider or the keyboard/screen stop working.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I think amongst forum dwellers the return rate is going to be higher due to the nature of power using perfectionists and/or tech savy user. To the average consumer who doesn't know what "oreo effect" is or light bleeding is or what a dead pixel looks like I don't expect the returns to be as high. Unless the phone just up and dies on them I don't the returns being more than the average for any smartphone.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Again, why doesn't Palm/Sprint crush the rumors and release data?

When the quarterly report comes out, they will have account for any unusually costs.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega33 View Post
    That would be great for Palm if it was 2-3%. Although I think it's going to be around the 20% range +/- 5% is my guess. I hope I'm wrong though.

Now I think the amount of phones that are really justified to be returned is going to be low, 5% tops. As in phone that actually have a defect that affects them working. The higher number will probably be people not happy with the play in the slider.

I had 3 die on me, this current one I have is perfect but does slide back and forth just under 5mm, which i'm not returning it for a loose slider. My other ones either had problems shutting off when i closed the slider or the keyboard/screen stop working.
    Good speculation, but what do you know about return rates that you didn't learn from being on this forum?

The online forums obviously attract people with phone issues, and also encourage people to do a return.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    It's been said before. Basing a percentage of returns on a bunch of forum users (some who may be lying apple fanboys) is idiocy to the highest degree.
    This thread is moved to Cross-Platform Chat because it is about:
    Treo vs. iPhone. Windows Mobile vs. BlackBerry. This is the place for "What should I get" and "My smartphone can beat up your smartphone." Formerly the Smartphone Round Robin Forum.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Are they counting exchanges as returns?
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajk511 View Post
    Are they counting exchanges as returns?
    I think so. And I also think that's one of the major reasons why the Palm Pre even has such a high return rate.

It's classic for Apple lovers to do such a thing.
    They just mention that the Pre has a high return rate, not even hinting at the fact that probably 70%-90% are exchanges.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post
    Good speculation, but what do you know about return rates that you didn't learn from being on this forum?

The online forums obviously attract people with phone issues, and also encourage people to do a return.
    Oh i agree. Thats why I just took my own guess lol.

I think the legit return rate, phones that actually have a real problem will be low 5% or less, but the returns in the first month or two could be up to 20% just most of them could be people being to picky.

Just my guess like I said.

If i believed the polls done here or most other forums were close to the true return rate it would be in the 30-40% range, i just can't believe it's that high, no way.

If i went by my real world experience then I know me,my sister and 4 friends that have the pre. My sisters is fine, im on my 4th, 2 of my friends are on their 2nd, one of his 3rd and one on his 4th like me. Which would be like a 99% return rate, which of course means nothing to the real world returns rates.

Then the one sprint corp store i went to when one of my phones died said they have only seen a couple Pre's brought back in for exchange, the second store i used when the next one died said they have never seen so many returns on a phone before, again useless information for any actual rate.

But then all we will probably ever do is guess the return rate as i would be surprised if palm gave out a actual number vs using a word like Low,Normal,Above Normal amount of returns.