Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Most of you have found out by now that WebOS 1.10 is out.

Here's the link to the changes:
    Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Software update information for Palm Pre Sprint p100eww

On that website is a little update:
    Resolves an issue preventing media sync from working with latest version of iTunes (8.2.1).
    I actually laughed out loud. I personally don't use Itunes for anything anymore (my Ipod Video broke... stupid crap).
    BUT...
    This is going to be epic between Apple vs. Palm.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    im glad to see its back now i can update my itunes
    Personally, I find this to be a huge waste of time for Palm. Any time they spend on "fixing" the Pre's issues with Itunes is time they could be taking care of the things that actually matter and that will be permanent.. Apple will likely block the Pre again sometime relatively soon and Palm will have to spend more time unblocking instead of giving us video, fixing notification sounds, etc., etc. Sigh.
    I just love it that Palm's sticking Apple in the eye this way. Just love it. Personally don't and never will use iTunes, but this is just awesome.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I think it's cool Palm is doing this but i think it would really be better in the long run for them if they could release there own desktop software similar to itunes ( but better of course ), I've said before i would be all for it if they released their own software with a partnership with someone like amazon
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    While i absolutely love the jab at Apple. I can't help but be pissed that we still dont have customizable notifications (no im not rooting my phone).

Gay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
    While i absolutely love the jab at Apple. I can't help but be pissed that we still dont have customizable notifications (no im not rooting my phone).

Gay.
    Yeah, although it was not mentioned that it would be in this update, I to wish it was there. More patience for me. I can wait.
    I have had this pre 30 days to the day. And I have downloaded three updates in that time. No complaints here. CLEARLY Palm is serious about continuing to support the device/webOS. Props Palm!

PS: For those of you who are questioning the whole iTunes recapture. Keep in mind that this isn't *necessarily* about the music syncing. Palm knows it can use other means for pity's sake. I think this is more about exposing Apple's vulnerabilities and flying in the face of the "No you can't pick our fruit" attitude. Palm's rapid response is one of "Oh yeah, watch us."

And Apple better.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Personally, I find this to be a huge waste of time for Palm. Any time they spend on "fixing" the Pre's issues with Itunes is time they could be taking care of the things that actually matter and that will be permanent.. Apple will likely block the Pre again sometime relatively soon and Palm will have to spend more time unblocking instead of giving us video, fixing notification sounds, etc., etc. Sigh.
    I doubt it is a waste of time. Palm has people on their team who has worked for Apple. So Palm probably knows some of their playbook. Which is probably why the fix was so quick. Palm knew that Apple would try to block them out & most likely had a contingency plan, which was added to this update.
    Follow Me On

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Been on both sides of this fence in the past, and my experience is that the guy trying to break in is generally at a disadvantage, because once it's seen how you get in, you can keep closing doors.

Probably not in this case, though-- the Pre has at most what, 300K users? All rabid for new updates? iTunes probably has several MILLION users?

Every time Apple locks the Pre out, Palm can dump an update a week later to get back in.

Apple can't force millions of users to update *just* to block the Pre, so they really can't release a patch until a *lot* of other features are tested and ready.

At the end of the day, it's costing Apple money and reputation, and not buying them a thing. Why waste their time?
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    I doubt it is a waste of time. Palm has people on their team who has worked for Apple. So Palm probably knows some of their playbook. Which is probably why the fix was so quick. Palm knew that Apple would try to block them out & most likely had a contingency plan, which was added to this update.
    And the stars may be lining up in Palm's favor on the legal side:

Apple Kills Two Suits with One Stone
    Analysis: By dropping its legal action against Bluwiki, Apple is now free from a countersuit that the Electronic Frontier Foundation dropped today.

Apple today said it wouldn't pursue legal action against OdioWorks, which runs a collaborative Internet site called BluWiki. BluWiki is an online collaborative software used to share information –much like other Wikis. The original complaint centered around users who were sharing information about how to make music/media software work with Apple's proprietary iTunesDB.

Citing a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, Apple sent OdioWorks a cease and desist notice and demanded that it take down the information that was posted. OdioWorks complied, but also got in touch with digital rights group Electronic Frontier Foundation. EFF later countersued Apple on OdioWorks’s behalf.

Today, Apple dropped the lawsuit (PDF), saying

"...Apple has stopped utilizing the code in question, rendering the code obsolete for the purposes at issue in this action. Publishing that code is no longer of any harm or benefit to anyone."

Interestingly, last week, Apple issued an iTunes update that broke the Palm Pre's ability to sync with iTunes. There is a good chance that the new iTunes 8.2.1 software no longer uses the same technology to store and access media information. Changing that software also freed them from this legal entanglement.

...EFF Senior Staff Attorney Fred von Lohmann added, "While we are glad that Apple retracted its baseless legal threats, we are disappointed that it only came after 7 months of censorship and a lawsuit. Because Apple continues to use technical measures to lock iPod Touch and iPhone owners into -- and Palm Pre owners out of -- using Apple's iTunes software, I wouldn't be surprised if there are more discussions among frustrated customers about reverse engineering Apple products. We hope Apple has learned its lesson here and will give those online discussions a wide berth in the future."

The EFF has a long history of defending against Apple's lawsuits including winning major victories for bloggers' rights in the past.

Apple Kills Two Suits with One Stone - PC World

So, unlike what another poster said, I don't think Apple is going to quickly lock out Palm, again.
    So, I guess it would be bad form for a bunch of us to hop on the iPhone forums just to talk about how we synced with iTunes. Again. But maaan it is tempting.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    So, I guess it would be bad form for a bunch of us to hop on the iPhone forums just to talk about how we synced with iTunes. Again. But maaan it is tempting.
    Oh, you mean like how obvious Apple fan boys have jumped on this site and talked down the Pre?

Go for it, baby!! Razz away!
    Irrespective of the usefulness and alternatives, iTunes compatibility would sway some prospective purchasers and appears in their sales material.

And I also love how it "sticks it up" Apple.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    how to find music file upload from itune on pre using ubs mode?
    The time spent screwing with itunes could be spent making their own third party sync program. Something people have asked for since desktop sync was removed as a feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    I think you are right on. When palm decided to offer itunes sync they knew that apple would disable it. They knew a back and forth would ensue and they still decided to do it. They knew it was a battle they had a good chance at winning.

Palm may have the upper hand- I would think that it is easier to make the pre work with itunes, then prevent itunes from working working with the Pre- especially considering the Pre is essentially an iPod!
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre88 View Post
    how to find music file upload from itune on pre using ubs mode?
    It's stored in a hidden folder off the root, called iPod or iPodControl, then under that, there are a bunch of sub-folders like F00. Your music will all have been renamed to files like DACE.mp3. If you had the corred ID3 tags on the files, you can use programs like MP3Tag to rename the file based on the information in the tags, but you might find that a lot of your music is missing tags, in which case you would need to listen to it to figure out what it was and rename the file.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Oh come on. It took them less than a week to get that into an update, with a LOT of other great updates. Doesn't seem they are wasting their time to me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast