Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yeah...really doesn't seem to take much time for Palm to fix it. I can't stop laughing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Oh come on. It took them less than a week to get that into an update, with a LOT of other great updates. Doesn't seem they are wasting their time to me.
    ANY time they spend on getting that to work is time wasted as long as Apple is going to block it again, which they probably will. I don't care enough about Apple that I get joy out of Palm sticking it to them. I'm a pretty big proponent of the Pre and Palm, but actually find it a little pathetic on their part. I'd rather they spend any time wasted on that actually doing something useful and longterm.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    ANY time they spend on getting that to work is time wasted as long as Apple is going to block it again, which they probably will. I don't care enough about Apple that I get joy out of Palm sticking it to them. I'm a pretty big proponent of the Pre and Palm, but actually find it a little pathetic on their part. I'd rather they spend any time wasted on that actually doing something useful and longterm.
    So you don't care about Apple, good for you, I don't either, but I also understand that a lot of people like the ease of being able to buy their music on iTunes and plug their Pre right in to sync it. It was be absurd for Palm to NOT fix it, especially with how easy a fix it seems it was. Instead of reading people complaining about how they are wasting time fixing it, we'd have people complaining that they didn't fix it.
    I think this is great marketing opportunityfor Palm. Any attention Apple gives to this issue only raises Palm's credability in the market. Editors love to write about this stuff so it makes for free advertizing for Palm. Its like a football game. The fun is in watching the game....
    Everyone is missing the point. I went back and read the release by Apple. They never said that the Pre couldn't use the software. Actually this is what they said.

"Apple designs the hardware and software to provide seamless integration of the iPhone and iPod with iTunes, the iTunes Store, and tens of thousands of apps on the App Store. Apple is aware that some third-parties claim that their digital media players are able to sync with Apple software. However, Apple does not provide support for, or test for compatibility with, non-Apple digital media players and, because software changes over time, newer versions of Apple's iTunes software may no longer provide syncing functionality with non-Apple digital media players."

All they are saying here is they might change the software and it is not up to them to see if other media players work with the updates. Which makes me think that Palm took what they said to mean that they had to fix it to work with iTunes.

By the way, here is the link to Apples comments.

iTunes: About unsupported third-party digital media players
    The whole "ghetto-syncing" approach only confirms Palm's reputation as a second-rate software company to go along with their already established reputation as a second-rate hardware producer. How difficult could it be to make better software than iTunes for music syncing? Is Palm's software development capability really that lame? Once again they choose the dirt road instead of the high road.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Hmm. Reverse engineering what Apple did obviously took Palm very little time, it will nets them a LOT of publicity, and will allow their device to work with the media setup that many of Palm's current and prospective customers already use. Plus, doing things this way in no way precludes Palm from releasing their own media offering at a later time (after it has been fully fleshed out). I think it is quite wise of Palm to do things this way, given their current limited resources and other commitments.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    Everyone is missing the point. I went back and read the release by Apple. They never said that the Pre couldn't use the software. Actually this is what they said.

"Apple designs the hardware and software to provide seamless integration of the iPhone and iPod with iTunes, the iTunes Store, and tens of thousands of apps on the App Store. Apple is aware that some third-parties claim that their digital media players are able to sync with Apple software. However, Apple does not provide support for, or test for compatibility with, non-Apple digital media players and, because software changes over time, newer versions of Apple's iTunes software may no longer provide syncing functionality with non-Apple digital media players."

All they are saying here is they might change the software and it is not up to them to see if other media players work with the updates. Which makes me think that Palm took what they said to mean that they had to fix it to work with iTunes.

By the way, here is the link to Apples comments.

[url= About unsupported third-party digital media players[/url]
    so it doesn't matter that they deliberately broke the syncing? That's hilarious.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The whole "ghetto-syncing" approach only confirms Palm's reputation as a second-rate software company...
    Ouch, or well it could just be the apple and Linux share a commonality in UNIX.
    Quote Originally Posted by leftfoot View Post
    Ouch, or well it could just be the apple and Linux share a commonality in UNIX.
    I'm pretty sure the Windows version of iTunes isn't a linux program. Besides, this isn't about operating system as much as it is about APIs/data formats.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    It's a waste of time for people that already have the phone. It's great for Palm, who can continue marketing the Palm Pre as "iTunes-compatible." Apple-fans eat from the plate of iTunes, so it could be argued that the business risk is worth the business benefit--not to mention the David-vs-Goliath allure that comes with this type of conflict, passive aggressive though it is.

Every business choice has risks/benefits (making other upgrades could be argued to have more business-benefits).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12