1.    #1  
    The iphone has the Pre beat hands down when it comes to graphics. They need to fix that asap. I'm not even that concerned with 3d as much as simple text scrolling.

Pull up your All Call list and flick it up. The phone seems to have problems displaying your old calls smoothly.

Try dragging an app card icon to another page and moving it to the bottom. The phone shouldn't struggle to rearrange icons.

The phone should cache thumbnails of the photos as an option so you can flip through all your pics quickly without waiting for them to resize on the spot. That also goes for the mini thumb screen of your pics in the gallery mode (if that makes any sense.. i'm tired).

In this day and age our software should run smooth and silky.
    Insightful.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    I could swear I read that the pre and 3gs are running the same processor( just made by different Co., samsung and TI) so I have wondered the same thing, I have used both and 3gs seems much quicker, even my 2g iphone seemed quicker. As far as apps loading I believe I read it has something to do with iphones being native and pres being like webapps
    Hmmm... Launching the contacts app on my Palm OS 5 device, I declare the iPhone and Pre together in the sluggish league.

The demo Pre at CES seemed oh-so-smooth with more then 5 cards open; my Pre seemed to be choking on only one single Calculator card (and I thought a calculator this simple should have the least memory requirements) ...... What's the deal?
    I think the difference is native apps vs. web apps.
    There are some know memory leakage issues so the question I have is did you restart your Pre to see if you got a better result?
    Quote Originally Posted by shamus_1976 View Post
    The iphone has the Pre beat hands down when it comes to graphics. They need to fix that asap. I'm not even that concerned with 3d as much as simple text scrolling.

Pull up your All Call list and flick it up. The phone seems to have problems displaying your old calls smoothly.

Try dragging an app card icon to another page and moving it to the bottom. The phone shouldn't struggle to rearrange icons.

The phone should cache thumbnails of the photos as an option so you can flip through all your pics quickly without waiting for them to resize on the spot. That also goes for the mini thumb screen of your pics in the gallery mode (if that makes any sense.. i'm tired).

In this day and age our software should run smooth and silky.
    It can't cache everything because there is not enough memory. There is also a big difference between window manager animations and in-browser ones, accelerated C vs. JavaScript.

In this day and age we get to use very small devices, they come at a cost. The hardware is just about adequate for Palm to run their apps in a browser, but it's not great. That's what Palm can afford to develop and sell and hopefully it will also translate to ease of development and proliferation of apps.

Then there is the 1.0 release. It definitely needs work.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistermarc View Post
    I could swear I read that the pre and 3gs are running the same processor( just made by different Co., samsung and TI) so I have wondered the same thing, I have used both and 3gs seems much quicker, even my 2g iphone seemed quicker. As far as apps loading I believe I read it has something to do with iphones being native and pres being like webapps
    Well if its made by different companies its not the same, but i believe they do have the same Core speed, as well as Memory. The operating systems are different though and apple has had a lot more time to get things smoother, this could be a big issue for as to why it is snappier.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Pre is using the CPU for all graphics rendering (ie, it's done in software). This means the graphics will be sluggish and put a load on the CPU (=heat, power use).

The iPhone OS uses the GPU (via OpenGL) for much of its graphics rendering (ie, accelerated hardware).

There is a night and day difference between the two approaches. Never mind any hardware similarities or differences between devices -- you could look at software vs. hardware rendering on the same exact device and it would be a night and day difference. Software rendering would be sluggish on the iPhone too.
    The Pre has a GPU for this type of processing, it is just not being used yet.
    This will speed up native WebOS apps and will be available for "real" programming in the future, I am sure.
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    There is a night and day difference between the two approaches. Never mind any hardware similarities or differences between devices -- you could look at software vs. hardware rendering on the same exact device and it would be a night and day difference. Software rendering would be sluggish on the iPhone too.
    I suspect that it has less to do with the GPU (I am sure the Pre uses some 2D acceleration) an more to do with the amount of control the APIs give a developer over how his app draws on the screen.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Could also be that WebOS code is not minified yet, which would reduce its memory footprint and increase speed as well. I'd also assume that, as a 1.0 OS, they may have left an excessive amount of logging functionality enabled for debugging purposes. This is all speculation, of course, but grounded in reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity
    Could also be that WebOS code is not minified yet, which would reduce its memory footprint and increase speed as well. I'd also assume that, as a 1.0 OS, they may have left an excessive amount of logging functionality enabled for debugging purposes. This is all speculation, of course, but grounded in reality.
    That would be a fair assessment for alpha/beta software. It's a damning remark for a commercial product. Perhaps this is merely another symptom of the rush-to-market syndrome?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
    Hmmm...

Define irony: Trolling a forum by posting an off topic picture of a forum troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity
    That would be a fair assessment for alpha/beta software. It's a damning remark for a commercial product. Perhaps this is merely another symptom of the rush-to-market syndrome?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
    Hmmm...

Define irony: Trolling a forum by posting an off topic picture of a forum troll.

Further irony: Realizing this irony is probably lost on the intended target of my comment.
  16.    #16  
    i just installed the update.. lets see if that fixes it