Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Here is one of the most anticipated Cnet prizefights of the year. Now before you click the link, I'd like to say that this is NOT INTENDED TO BE A IPHONE OR PRE BASHING THREAD. I love both phones, and want both of them immensely, I will probably be going with the pre because of the form factor and Sprint's pricing. Plus it's always great that someone is able to challenge Apple's iconic phone, it only inspires more innovation

They both have Pros and Cons, and are both great phones, please don't come in here screaming "$#*& YEAH PRE IS AS GOOD AS THE IPHONE AND ITS A 1.0 DEVICE SO THE IPHONE SUCKS APPLE SUCKS SO MUCH OMFG THEY ARE SO STUPID THEY CANT EVEN COMPETE WITH A 1.0 DEVICE LOLOLOLO!!11!"

Its a VERY close match, take a look.

|(See link below)
    |
    V
    Last edited by Shadnic; 07/22/2009 at 04:25 PM.
    More like the repost we've been waiting for

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...-showdown.html
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Yet they still don't mention - cost of ownership - which to me is the biggest discrepency between the two
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    More like the repost we've been waiting for
    Well I searched the forum for "prizefight" beforehand because I didn't want to repost old news. I found no story about this Cnet prizefight, which is why I made the thread. I guess I should have used more robust search terms, I apologize.
    I felt like in reading that, we had two iphone fanboys (one handles all iphone reviews, the other does apple videos) vs Bonnie who seems to really like the device. It's still surprising to see the Pre get a 7.3 overall rating. It should easily be an 8 or higher.
    It's a pretty good vid. I just like that the iphone has been out for what close to 3 years and the pre was pretty equal to it. I think palm did pretty well with the pre.
    Pre basically Tied the 3GS and the Pre is 1st generation! Nuff Said
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I felt like in reading that, we had two iphone fanboys (one handles all iphone reviews, the other does apple videos) vs Bonnie who seems to really like the device. It's still surprising to see the Pre get a 7.3 overall rating. It should easily be an 8 or higher.
    I've been following all Cnet phone reviews for the past 2 years, and, well, they're pretty rough with their reviewing. Basically any cell phone that can make calls will get a 6-7, because it's functional, and that's what it's built for. But even the most juiced up smart phones with hundreds of features NEVER get more than a 8.3. I would have liked to see the Pre get like a 7.6, but I think its review is fair for the bugs and issues associated with a 1.0 device.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    It's going to be interesting to see these this get replayed in November, after a bunch of software updates come out for the Pre.

From what I remember, the iPhone gets new hardware once a year, and *maybe* gets 2 software updates in between that. We've already seen 3 software updates (not that 1.0.4 really did anything) in under two months, with a promise of a 4th on the way. One or two key additional features, and that review swings the other way.
    Total propaganda.

All seriousness, it is the consumer who wins.
    Its a goo dthing they didn't compare on board memory Pre would have score low on this, however if they truly were to compare Phone measureable Stats then cost of ownership head -to head would have killed the 3GS.

So all in all it was an equal unbiased battle.

Pre ACTUALLY won because Pre is not complete.. at years end it will most likely have more Apps, Video recording and Flash support.

Lets hope Palm doesn't wait until Gen2 Pre to release these things.
    Imagine how the Pre will perform in such a comparison once there are a few hundred decent apps and some of the initial performance kinks worked out. To score so close to the iPhone 3GS at this early point is pretty remarkable.

Let's hope some folks read this and it sways them in the Pre's direction. Sales are a good thing for all of us Pre fans.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    This video sure was biased to allow the iPhone to come out on top. I make it through 2 days easily on a single battery charge with normal use.

I also don't like how they said the iphone has a faster processor, which it doesn't. The only reason stuff feels less laggy on the iphone is because the device is rigged to only do one thing at a time. The Pre would be the same if it only ran one app at a time.

It was also stupid how the Pre barely beat out the iphone in multi-tasking. I don't even know how the iphone got points in this category.
    There were things that they skewed on both phones. My two biggest gripes about this review is that they gave the Iphone the win on the internet, and their reasoning was that the safari was the first. One person said that they thought safari was sharper, and that was the only solid point. The other is multimedia, I've never had problems playing video on my pre, and the sound quality is great! but I do believe the iphone has the palm beat on multimedia, considering thats what the phone was designed around. And of course, they understated it, the apples ability to some how make a battery last impossibly long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andries View Post
    Yet they still don't mention - cost of ownership - which to me is the biggest discrepency between the two
    Right, that's a pretty big tie-breaker. One the other hand, they don't give much weight to the iPhone's advantage on apps. That is a big advantage that has nothing to do with OS or hardware, but will make a difference for lots of people.

I don't know what I'd do if Sprint carried the iPhone. It would be close, and I'd be happy either way. But since the iPhone is on ATT, the decision is easy. I save a couple hundred a month on Sprint.
    IMO this is a very good write up. The three judges are pretty impartial from reading their comments and I would tend to agree with their results. That being said, it all depends on what's important to you. If you want multi-tasking, you should obviously get the Pre. If you want the fastest interface, the 3GS has the advantage. They are both extremely capable phones. I think Palm has done a commendable job with the Pre given that it's a first generation phone. Sure, they had the iPhone to model off of, but they've still done well.

I also agree with Andries that the plans from AT&T versus Sprint would have been good to include in the comparison. I suppose since it wasn't a TCO battle they chose to leave those numbers out.

All in all, this should create some great competition and innovation moving forward.
    I got to thinking, after replying to another thread here..

I am not sure but does the iPhone 3Gs or any iPhone offer USB access? Does it allow simple Drag and drop syncing? Can it serve as a standalone USB device or does it rely on itunes for syncing?

because USB interface is one of Pre's strengths, it allows the user to chose how they sync their media,and gives user option of what Media manager to use ect..

Does Phone offer simple Drag & drop/ USB interface?

If not then Pre is on top by a full point IMO
    i still think the pre beats the 3gs but just by a little bit
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Notice how Brian (iPhone fanboy) was the sole person who gave the Pre a 4 in one round when the two other reviewers gave it a 5.

I bet it was staged that way to get that oh-so-slim margin of victory for the 3GS by .06.

Plus, why lump 'navigation' and 'multitasking' together? they are opposing features and should be separated out...and obviously, the Pre would win both hands down.

Lumping 'multimedia' and 'web browsing'? 3Gs would take multimedia (few would argue otherwise), but web browsing I bet would be a closer fight.

Pre should have won if you do the math this way and split the above two rounds into four...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast