Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21  
    Thrilling... Our 1gen was spanking dat @$$, spanking dat @$$
  2. rbgrules's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #22  
    I love have they both "won" an equal amount yet they deemed the 3GS the winner. In my mind they are both equal because they are both amazing devices but for different reasons.
  3. Tikerz's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    More like the repost we've been waiting for

    http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...-showdown.html
    Too funny!
  4. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #24  
    Damn you guys are pathetic, so everybody who doesn't have the Pre over the iPhone is a fanboy, lol. Seeing as how most comparisons have the iPhone on top I guess it makes all of the reviewers fanboys.
  5. #25  
    How do you give the iPhone a 5.0 when it lacks a flash for the camera? I smell bullsh1t. That round the iPhone should have gotten something like a 4.7 thus making the Pre the overall winner.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    I got to thinking, after replying to another thread here..

    I am not sure but does the iPhone 3Gs or any iPhone offer USB access? Does it allow simple Drag and drop syncing? Can it serve as a standalone USB device or does it rely on itunes for syncing?

    because USB interface is one of Pre's strengths, it allows the user to chose how they sync their media,and gives user option of what Media manager to use ect..


    Does Phone offer simple Drag & drop/ USB interface?

    If not then Pre is on top by a full point IMO
    To be fair, there are a lot of weaknesses to the Pre' USB access. For starters, plugging the phone in to sync as a USB drive/Media drive means turning off the phone function of the Pre. The iPhone is similar when syncing (you can't use the phone), but at least it still gets calls/texts. Further, I'm not sure if you've tried the drag/drop method for copying your music to the phone, but after trying it, I decided to revert to using iTunes. Though simple, when you drag and drop your albums onto the phone all your Album Art shows up in your pictures, which is annoying as heck when you have a lot of albums/artists. As far as using different media managers..I think there are a few that are compatible with the iPhone (like Winamp), and although Apple probably frowns on it, it's doable. But with iTunes being as simple and intuitive as it is..what's the point?

    Anyways, I'm coming off an iPhone (had the 2g when it was first released, then the 3g a year later), and though I love my Pre, I think that it still has a little more fine tuning before it can really beat out the iPhone.

    Here's to hoping it does.
  7. #27  
    I thought this was a great review and like the review I too believe that the phones are very close to neck and neck. They each have things they can do that the other can't or currently can't. I love my Pre so far and I love the I-Phone, but it all boils down to user preference to me. The I-Phone is the bar-none best multi-media device on the market because thats the way it was designed. The Pre has a multitude of possibilities with WebOS at the helm. For a first run of a new OS I don't see how we can be but so disappointed. Yes there has been build quality issues, but hopefully Palm will straighten those out in the future. How well this OS and current phone acclimate to the worldwide market solely falls on the shoulders of Palm. They better learn from their past mistakes and listen to communities such as this to obtain the knowledge on what needs to be improved upon or created in there R&D dept. If they stay on top of updates and improvements with this phone and don't shut out developers they could definitely have an iconic, revolutionary product on their hands. Time will tell if they have learned anything from their past follies. I'm betting on you Palm! Don't let me down!
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see these this get replayed in November, after a bunch of software updates come out for the Pre.

    From what I remember, the iPhone gets new hardware once a year, and *maybe* gets 2 software updates in between that. We've already seen 3 software updates (not that 1.0.4 really did anything) in under two months, with a promise of a 4th on the way. One or two key additional features, and that review swings the other way.
    Yeeeeeeaahhhh, no. I had an iPhone and it was like 3-4+ updates per year and the hardware hasn't changed until the 3GS came out with the exception of adding GPS and 3G chip to the iPhone 3G. Just because the Pre released 3 software updates, they didn't do anything major unlike the iPhone that had noticeable additions added on. It's way too early to compare either of them so don't even try. It's easy to push out 2-3 small updates when it's just tweaking of code in the OS and nothing significant.

    I'm waiting for an interesting update from Palm that adds real copy & paste and smooths out the lagginess that I get when scrolling through contacts list and my launcher. Those are the only real things I'm really looking forward to. It's not nearly as smooth and seamless as the iPhone and I hope they are able to fix this.

    This was a great comparison though, I had seen it earlier today. I had my hopes up that the Pre would win but I knew the iPhone would basically for the apps alone.

    EDIT: Oh, and they definitely have to add visual voicemail. I hate coming from an iPhone to the Pre and having to use the archaic voicemail system of having to wait for the damned thing to say out the number and all that nonsense.
    Last edited by sherman901; 07/22/2009 at 03:44 PM.
  9. Shadnic's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
       #29  
    I'm glad some people here grasp how cool it is that the Pre is evenly matched with the its role model, like a new sport star taking on a champion.

    A lot of you are saying that the Pre was cheated, that if they had not lumped some categories the pre would have won...and some are even complaining because Brian is an iPhone fanboy. For one, Bonnie is a Pre fangirl, so that's balances that out right there, and also, it's not like Brian rated the Pre lowly at all, he admired it greatly, and in some cases said it was equal to or greater than the iPhone in some departments. Just because someone loves a device (say the iPhone in his case) doesn't mean you cloud your mind and judgement to force yourself and everyone around to acknowledge that your choice of phone is superior to another. Some of us don't need that level of satisfaction to go to sleep at night. Also, ever think maybe those lumped categories HELPED the Pre in some areas as well? Maybe if they had split it up and the Pre had excelled in multitasking, it would have proven to be much lower than the iPhone in some other split category.

    I'm not trying to say the Pre couldn't have won, I think it's a very close fight with no distinct winner, it's all based on preference. I'm just asking you to open your mind and see things from both perspectives. If one is better it doesn't mean the other sucks, if each has its own strengths, then just be happy with whichever you choose, but realize other people with other needs may find something else attractive. To them, the other should have been the winner. There is no absolute truth.
  10. #30  
    But,
    Brian did give 4 to both phones on Multitask category... I laughed right then and stoped reading ..
    Don't take CNET seriously,, their reviews/prize fight are pretty biased and often misinformed... How can you include a known fanboy/girl in a prizefight? Laughable...
    I'm not trying to argue either way... It just seems that CNET reviews are pretty cartoonish...

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadnic View Post
    I'm glad some people here grasp how cool it is that the Pre is evenly matched with the its role model, like a new sport star taking on a champion.

    A lot of you are saying that the Pre was cheated, that if they had not lumped some categories the pre would have won...and some are even complaining because Brian is an iPhone fanboy. For one, Bonnie is a Pre fangirl, so that's balances that out right there, and also, it's not like Brian rated the Pre lowly at all, he admired it greatly, and in some cases said it was equal to or greater than the iPhone in some departments. Just because someone loves a device (say the iPhone in his case) doesn't mean you cloud your mind and judgement to force yourself and everyone around to acknowledge that your choice of phone is superior to another. Some of us don't need that level of satisfaction to go to sleep at night. Also, ever think maybe those lumped categories HELPED the Pre in some areas as well? Maybe if they had split it up and the Pre had excelled in multitasking, it would have proven to be much lower than the iPhone in some other split category.

    I'm not trying to say the Pre couldn't have won, I think it's a very close fight with no distinct winner, it's all based on preference. I'm just asking you to open your mind and see things from both perspectives. If one is better it doesn't mean the other sucks, if each has its own strengths, then just be happy with whichever you choose, but realize other people with other needs may find something else attractive. To them, the other should have been the winner. There is no absolute truth.
    iPhone; the official phone of 'the Borg'
  11. #31  
    I thought the pre and iphone 3gs used the same CPU and GPU? Am I wrong?
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by niospecv View Post
    How do you give the iPhone a 5.0 when it lacks a flash for the camera? I smell bullsh1t. That round the iPhone should have gotten something like a 4.7 thus making the Pre the overall winner.
    yeah but we lack video, and they dont.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

    RIP

  13. cderekg72's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #33  
    I think it's fair to call this a virtual tie, or have the iPhone come out ever so slightly ahead. What I hope this represents is that both companies will continue to push the envelope, and continue to innovate. I only use iPods for my music, and I love them. That said, I rarely (if ever) want to use my phone for extended music/video replay. I don't need a killer multimedia phone-- I want my phone to bring together all of the active elements of my life seamlessly. I think the Pre is well on its way to doing this perfectly, and that's why I went with the Pre. I think if Apple keeps the iPhone fresh, Palm will respond in amazing ways, and that can only be good for smartphone users!
  14. andyckr's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    Pre basically Tied the 3GS and the Pre is 1st generation! Nuff Said
    TRUE DAT!!! Never thought bout that but like someone said before.. why dont they look at price plans!!!!
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by chbearsrock View Post
    To be fair, there are a lot of weaknesses to the Pre' USB access. For starters, plugging the phone in to sync as a USB drive/Media drive means turning off the phone function of the Pre. The iPhone is similar when syncing (you can't use the phone), but at least it still gets calls/texts. Further, I'm not sure if you've tried the drag/drop method for copying your music to the phone, but after trying it, I decided to revert to using iTunes. Though simple, when you drag and drop your albums onto the phone all your Album Art shows up in your pictures, which is annoying as heck when you have a lot of albums/artists. As far as using different media managers..I think there are a few that are compatible with the iPhone (like Winamp), and although Apple probably frowns on it, it's doable. But with iTunes being as simple and intuitive as it is..what's the point?

    Anyways, I'm coming off an iPhone (had the 2g when it was first released, then the 3g a year later), and though I love my Pre, I think that it still has a little more fine tuning before it can really beat out the iPhone.

    Here's to hoping it does.
    Good points however Since you are coming form itunes, then iTunes makes sense for you you are tied to it all your music is in it,
    My music is on a few HD I can transfer it / copy it to any device I want, I have a 32 GB Creativ eplayer and a couple of Sansa Clips all are supported by USB drag & Drop easy , I typically do not care about the Album Art, However, I know of at least 3 excellent media mangers that flawlessly sync Album Art with my player I drag & drop from inside the player GUI.
  16. #36  
    CNET reviews? Yawn..... They are not worth the cyber paper they are printed on IMHO.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions