Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Palm vs. Apple: Sizing Up Smartphone Cameras

Disclosure: PC World is, imo, the among the least credible and most pro-apple sites out there. I put no more stock in anything I read there than I would, say, things I read on The Onion.

Is it just me, or is this about as lame a comparison as one could aspire to write? First, he only compares an iPhone photo of his cat against one taken with a DSLR photo. That's it! He then goes on to talk about all the photo apps on the iPhone and how it can capture video and so on, and sneaks in there at one point "the Pre has a tiny flash".

While this is very tame compared to PC World's typical tone, it still strikes me as a steaming pile of wasted bytes. If you're going to publish an article about Palm vs Apple phone cams, how about you actually do some image quality comparisons between the two phone cams in a variety of conditions?

How PC World manages to stay in business given the trash they consistently produce is beyond my comprehension.
    PC World = EPIC FAIL
    The Pre does WORK
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    Disclosure: PC World is, imo, the among the least credible and most pro-apple sites out there.
    PC World being the most pro-apple sites... oh sweet irony.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I would not call it "pro-Apple". It is simply the fact that the editor/writer is fond of his 3GS.

I actually think his title was completely misleading and he made an error because the entire point of the article (or whatever it is) was about smartphones being used as the main photography tool now rather than dedicated cameras. He notes how technology has improved in the cameras of the smartphones.

There was simply no mention of any comparison of the Palm Pre and the Apple iPhone 3GS.

The author has pretty much messed up.
    Actually, I think it's the editor who messed up - writers never get to pick their story titles, and that's what's misleading in this case. The editor likely tried to boost readership of the article by tossing the Pre into the title.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    He then goes on to talk about all the photo apps on the iPhone and how it can capture video and so on, and sneaks in there at one point "the Pre has a tiny flash".
    If you want a more accurate article that exposes the comparative crappiness of the Pre vs iPhone cameras then check out this writeup.

TheRegister UK: iPhone 3G v iPhone 3GS v Palm Pre

But my guess is that you'll have the same angry reaction because it seems you are looking more for a positive result than a true comparison. Sadly (for those who want the Palm to "win") the truth of it all is that the Pre does have an inferior camera because Palm made a future-forward phone yet decided to put a 2007 non-autofocus/macro camera in it. Not to mention the purple hue that seems to invade our blue earth sky. And yes, the "tiny flash" is better than nothing but it's so poorly placed that the explosive light just washes out photos.

There are things that can be fixed in software updates to make it "better", but in terms of hardware limitations and lack of apps then the current Pre is stuck being inferior to the iPhone.

And here's my personal photo comparisons:
    Disneyland Castle
    Nikon D90 (This is a very accurate to what the day looked like. 75degrees and perfect.)

iPhone 3G (A bit washed out but colors are accurate)

Palm Pre (Oversaturated. And I'm fairly sure the sky wasn't PURPLE!)

Minnie Mouse Statue
    Nikon D90 (Bright and Sunny California Weather)

Palm Pre (Again with that Purple Sky!)
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    No offense but I think the Palm Pre looks better than the Nikon D90.
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    No offense but I think the Palm Pre looks better than the Nikon D90.
    So you prefer to see your favorite colors in a photo rather than a proper rendering of reality? Sounds like you need a special camera!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    But my guess is that you'll have the same angry reaction because it seems you are looking more for a positive result than a true comparison. Sadly (for those who want the Palm to "win") the truth of it all is that the Pre does have an inferior camera because Palm made a future-forward phone yet decided to put a 2007 non-autofocus/macro camera in it.
    Urkel, your posts have long rubbed me the wrong way, and it is because you're full of much more than just yourself... but you are full of yourself, no doubt there. (This is an "angry reaction")

You are a fool if you cannot see that PC World is, at the very least, anti-pre.

That said, thanks for posting the link to that article. It was just what I was looking for and I'd actually found it last night as I was searching for side by side photo comparisons. Your claim that the Pre's camera is inferior to the iPhone's stands in contrast to what the Register concluded: They both suck compared to a 'real' digital camera, but the Pre "squeaks by" as the winner.

I don't see the discoloration so much (colorblind FTW; Photoshop can fix colors if you're foolish enough to take a super important photo with a smartphone in the first place) but in terms of image clarity and detail the Pre actually beats the iPhone. I will give you the point of the iPhone having mechanical focus/macro, which is nice, but given the choice I'd personally pick flash over macro... particularly in light of this:

How do you like that autofocus now?

Now, feel free to go back to gazing into the mirror and admiring that hunk of a forum troll who so adroitly makes post after post of astounding d-baggery. Also feel free to behave in real life as you do on this forum. Maybe someone will give you that boot up your @$$ that you seem to need so much.
    I think the Pres flash is bright as ****! I see spots after that beast goes off. My touch pro had a sissy flash. It never lit anything up too great.
    However, the pictures on this pre is amazing. Afterall, it is first a Cell phone. People always tend to forget that.
    Iphone is litterally like holding a brick in the hand. Its not comfortable at all. Also, the plans that go with them are re-donkulous!
    As a phone the iphone sucks. But as a 'gaming/app' device its ok. But give the pre some time and it will surpass that cheap piece of crap in no time.
    Facts are facts... The pre feels better in the hand then the iphone
    I don't see that article as "anti-Pre" at all - and I'm not sure the vehemence of the response makes much sense...I'm color-blind too, but I think an objective observer would say that any camera should at least capture colors without requiring photoshopping.

I like my Pre, too, but folks need to remember that it's a phone, not a measure of their self-worth.
    Last edited by Bujin; 07/23/2009 at 05:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nuzzle View Post
    Facts are facts... The pre feels better in the hand then the iphone
    I don't know if that warrants as a fact.

But opinion, yes.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    So you prefer to see your favorite colors in a photo rather than a proper rendering of reality? Sounds like you need a special camera!
    Did you catch the emoticon above my post?
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    Did you catch the emoticon above my post?
    Doh! Nope.