Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The iphone multi tasks all of its core apps.
    Easier said than done.

I go on one limb and say that APPLE has a headache here with mutitasking.
    Testing all the 50000 apps is going to be painful and not perfect.
    All the billion downloads will be effected by this.

They might cherry pick which of the key apps can do that.
    Currently the phone apps and music app coexist sharing the CPU resources.
    They might add youtube to the mix.

Oh, one more thing , there is something called battery inside every phone.
    I am not sure how APPLE is going to deal with it after enabling the multitasking on their best selling product.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue4ever View Post
    Palm is never going to win one of these shootouts unless Apple stops developing devices. It's not because Palm is any less of a device it's because all of the main stream tech outlets are Apple fanboys.
    LOL
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I think it's funny how all of the Apple fanboi's were dismissive about Cut-and-Paste and video recording..."eh...whatever. I've never really needed it"...until the iPhone gets it. Then it's suddenly the Must-Have feature..."My God, how can ANY smartphone on the market today not have Cut-and-Paste and video recording!?!?"

We're also talking about what the Pre WILL have in a few months...smoother, faster OS, better battery life, more apps...yet they gave the iPhone points for the fact that it's going to EVENTUALLY have MMS and tethering. Right now...when the judging was happening...it DOESN'T.

The Pre should have gotten more points over the iPhone for the browser, because it's GOING to have Flash...Adobe announced this back in January.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    the pre should have got a 5.0 for multitasking they jipped it givin it a 4.7
    Sorry for the lengthy post...

I agree. I think that even though this comparison was pretty fair, they were still bias towards the iphone. All in all, I think both phones are amazing and deserve there dues, but give credit were credit is due. I do like the copy and paste on the iphone better, but the multitasking should have been the deciding factor in this.

I didn't think I would use the multitasking as much as I have found myself doing everyday. I love being able to switch through my "cards." For instance I can go between an email and a website or Pandora or what ever without disturbing anything running. If these judges weren't so bias, we would have heard something more like: These are both great phones and in a market were everyone's trying to be like the iphone, the iphone now has its hurdle to jump with the introduction of true multitasking from Palm with the Pre.

In my personal opinion, all those that are fan boys of Apple and can't seem to think for themselves anymore... Wake up. I can honestly say, my phone feels like a mini laptop for my pocket. You phone can fart.... great!
    Last edited by SHO_ONE; 07/22/2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: tweeked it...
    1.0 device vs. established device??? Damn good for the pre.

I am very happy with the way pre performs. Once we get more apps out, the Pre will win hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by drbgotenks View Post
    1.0 device vs. established device??? Damn good for the pre.

I am very happy with the way pre performs. Once we get more apps out, the Pre will win hands down.
    agreed, that was an awesome showdown and a great quick breakdown. I love the PRE but the iPhone is just more refined right now and does some things great, some things not so good. Same goes for the Pre.

Overall great review for me!!
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Honestly, enough about fanboys. Some of your (all of you) claims of fanboys are just exaggerated (true for 10% of them, but not so much for the rest). When the iPhone did not have copy and paste, you thought Apple followers were okay with that? No, they whined about it: http://www.internetnews.com/mobility/print.php/3744026

It is difficult to prove any kind of "bias" towards Apple's iPhone 3GS. Let's be honest with ourselves: the 3GS is a well polished smartphone and they deserve that praise. The Palm Pre is nowhere close to that. We wait patiently for the new WebOS update and then we can perhaps have a new say in where our Palm Pre ranks.
    The bottom line is that the Pre did great being it is a new OS platform & the fact that it is 1st generation compared to 3rd gen. for Apple.
    When the IPhone came out it had no app store, it took almost a year for them to get one. Palm at least started with an app store, granted a very limited one, but none the less there is an app store, which means there are only great things to come.
    There is no way there will ever be a phone that is perfect & can do everything. Someone will always find a reason or fault or short coming with every phone that comes out. It's on this network, it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that. You just have to be able to find the phone that best fits your needs & for me IT'S the PRE .
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    As a online video producer myself, I must say, great production on this video. Much better than the normal cnet reviews.

Also, I think this was a pretty fair review/battle. Ok, the Pre won. But they also showed the mulitasking, unobtrusive notifications and the keyboard. If someone's interested in a new touchscreen phone, see the two 4.3's, they can decide for themselves. Do I want a keyboard, multitasking, etc. Or do I want a lot of apps, the best mediaplayer, etc.

In a couple of months it maybe different. But the minor OS problems and the bigger ones (beta app store and no video recording, etc.) keep the Pre from being the unquestionable no. 1. I hope seriously improving the OS is a priority at Palm.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    I think it's funny how all of the Apple fanboi's were dismissive about Cut-and-Paste and video recording..."eh...whatever. I've never really needed it"...until the iPhone gets it. Then it's suddenly the Must-Have feature..."My God, how can ANY smartphone on the market today not have Cut-and-Paste and video recording!?!?"

We're also talking about what the Pre WILL have in a few months...smoother, faster OS, better battery life, more apps...yet they gave the iPhone points for the fact that it's going to EVENTUALLY have MMS and tethering. Right now...when the judging was happening...it DOESN'T.

The Pre should have gotten more points over the iPhone for the browser, because it's GOING to have Flash...Adobe announced this back in January.
    Actually the iPhone does have tethering and MMS, it's just not supported by AT&T yet. Last time I checked the Pre dosnt support tethering, what a fail of a post.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    Honestly, enough about fanboys. Some of your (all of you) claims of fanboys are just exaggerated (true for 10% of them, but not so much for the rest). When the iPhone did not have copy and paste, you thought Apple followers were okay with that? No, they whined about it: http://www.internetnews.com/mobility/print.php/3744026

It is difficult to prove any kind of "bias" towards Apple's iPhone 3GS. Let's be honest with ourselves: the 3GS is a well polished smartphone and they deserve that praise. The Palm Pre is nowhere close to that. We wait patiently for the new WebOS update and then we can perhaps have a new say in where our Palm Pre ranks.
    Damn dude don't be too loud in this sea of Palm fanboys.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post

I'm a bit confused. You start out by saying there's very little bias towards the iPhone (that's your opinion; fair enough). If that's the case, how can you justify your "The Palm Pre is nowhere close to that" comment when these (in your opinion) unbiased tech experts were so closely divided between the two devices, that they had to round to the nearest hundredth of a point to differentiate the scores?

Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Actually the iPhone does have tethering and MMS, it's just not supported by AT&T yet. Last time I checked the Pre dosnt support tethering, what a fail of a post.
    How can you say the iPhone has tethering when it's not supported by the primary carrier of the phone? Yes, if you jailbreak the phone and put it on a different network, you can get it to tether. Likewise, if you Root your Pre and install the "My Tether" app, you can tether with the Pre.

And yes, technically speaking, the iPhone can tether on other supported networks. Great, the 17 people who have iPhones in Cambodia, using the Cambodian National Wireless Network, can tether.

My point is, for the OVERWHELMING VAST majority of iPhone users (who are all on AT&T), the iPhone doesn't tether yet. Just as the Pre's browser doesn't support Flash...yet.

Did you watch the video? My point was...they were touting "coming soon" features of the iPhone in their ratings. That's fine to do, but do it for both phones.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I'm a bit confused. You start out by saying there's very little bias towards the iPhone (that's your opinion; fair enough). If that's the case, how can you justify your "The Palm Pre is nowhere close to that" comment when these (in your opinion) unbiased tech experts were so closely divided between the two devices, that they had to round to the nearest hundredth of a point to differentiate the scores?
    Read what I said in context: Let's be honest with ourselves: the 3GS is a well polished smartphone and they deserve that praise. The Palm Pre is nowhere close to that.

What I meant to relay was that the Palm Pre was not a well polished smartphone. A lot of Palm Pre users here agree on this. Palm rushed this phone out while missing so many of the basic features (especially that was on previous Palm models).

What I said had nothing to do with how they (the "tech experts") rated them. They had a different objective while my objective is whether if the Palm Pre is actually a device that's market ready. It isn't.
    Last edited by yiffzer; 07/23/2009 at 02:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts

How can you say the iPhone has tethering when it's not supported by the primary carrier of the phone? Yes, if you jailbreak the phone and put it on a different network, you can get it to tether. Likewise, if you Root your Pre and install the "My Tether" app, you can tether with the Pre.

And yes, technically speaking, the iPhone can tether on other supported networks. Great, the 17 people who have iPhones in Cambodia, using the Cambodian National Wireless Network, can tether.

My point is, for the OVERWHELMING VAST majority of iPhone users (who are all on AT&T), the iPhone doesn't tether yet. Just as the Pre's browser doesn't support Flash...yet.

Did you watch the video? My point was...they were touting "coming soon" features of the iPhone in their ratings. That's fine to do, but do it for both phones.
    What the heck is primary phone carrier, you know the iphone is available in 80 countries around the world with different carriers and millions of users around the world outside good old USA. People have been enjoying tethering and MMS on the iphones since 3.0 was released. Just because AT&T is not supporting it at that moment doesn't mean squat. More than 50 percent of iphone sales are sold outside of the US. f
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12