Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    First of all, please don't let this thread turn into a pissing match, let's just have an open discussion.

I switched over to the Pre from an iPhone and absolutely LOVE the thing, there are so many things I like better about it that I didn't miss my 3G iPhone at all.

Then a friend at work got a 3GS and this thing is REALLY fast.
    The voice control feature seemed to work OK, the video was just awesome and it's extremely responsive.

Of course it still can't multitask, doesn't have Synergy and is bigger..

I only saw it for about 10 minutes and you can't really learn TOO much in that time, so I was wondering if there was anyone that spent a reasonable amount of time with the 3GS that can talk about their experience between it and the Pre.

Please limit it to just the 3GS, I've had enough experience with the previous versions.
    Thanks!
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    i used a coworker's 3gs for two weeks on and off before deciding on my Pre....my pros/cons i think are pretty common:

pros:

- fast
    - thin
    - tons of apps
    - screen larger than pre
    - 16gb (version he had)
    - well built (although i'm reading horror stories of them now heating up)

cons:

- no keyboard
    - no multi-tasking
    - web browsing not as good as on Pre
    - at&t svc is the pitts

and that last point was my main deciding factor on not going with the 3gs... i couldn't get fast speeds while web browsing... i had dropped calls on more than one occasion... and this is in nyc (downtown)...

i've had very good sprint svc (both calls and data speeds) in the ny/nj/ct area for about 3yrs now....people also complain of customer svc....i have never had an issue...

if sprint offered the 3gs, it would be a tougher decision....

my two cents
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  3.    #4  
    Thanks, but seeing how I can't move a thread once posted, that's not very helpful.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I put some time on a coworker's 3GS.

I miss the following apart from the SPEED.

The video recording.
    Voice control.
    Better Cut and Paste
    Ability to save text and images from browser.
    Universal search ( search messages inside the email inbox).

On the other hand I keep swiping on the thing .
    Multitasking is badly missing on 3GS.

They better copy the swipes from PALM ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    Thanks, but seeing how I can't move a thread once posted, that's not very helpful.
    Sure it is....for the mods. Take it away, gents.

No, really...take these threads away from here, please.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Great thread. I didn't see the other thread but I did like the info I saw in yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sure it is....for the mods. Take it away, gents.

No, really...take these threads away from here, please.
    Thanks for being the forum police and trying to hijack the thread, Mikah. This is a legitimate comparison thread and if you don't want to read it skip to the next one.

Personally, I don't see the lack of multitasking on the iPhone to be a huge drawback. The way it implements app switching and putting you back exactly where you left off you usually don't even notice that it's not multitasking.

I prefer the solid feel of the iPhones over the Pre, but I prefer the overall feel in the hand of the Pre over the iPhone.

I agree the speed aspect is hard to ignore. The iPhone 3GS is far faster than the Pre and unfortunately that doesn't look like it can change without completely changing how Pre apps are written.

The apps and features on the iPhone just work better, easier and with fewer bugs than those on the Pre but I would expect this gap to close over time.

I've heard people say differently, but to my ears the sound quality out of the stereo jack on the 3GS sounds quite a bit better than the Pre.

The lack of a physical keyboard on the iPhone sucks. I know some people are better at typing on the onscreen keyboard than I but I personally really like the Pre keyboard. It feels and works great and I make very few mistakes typing on it.

I believe you are going to see far more interesting hacks for the Pre than you do on the iPhone. Palm is cool about letting people hack the device and that is a big plus that people overlook the fruit of which we are barely beginning to see so far.
  8.    #9  
    Wow, great info.
    Thanks so much guys.

Another point is that I just did a comparison.
    I'm on the 450 Everything Data plan and for me, with my company discounts, it's about $56 a month.

An equivilant plan on AT&T, including the navigation and after discounts, would be $90 for me.

$34 a month / $408 a year is REALLY hard to ignore.
    I spent a little time with the 3GS.It is definitely quite a bit snappier than the Pre at the moment. Like, Clipcarl, I much prefer the feel of the Pre in my hand than the too wide for me Iphone. I just don't like how it feels. I also couldn't have a phone without a keyboard, just not for me. And the lack of true multi-tasking would be a huge step back in functionality for me and how I use my phone.
    main deciding factor for me was the $800 + me and my wife are saving over two years - i'll use a 1st Gen device, and a sweet one at that, for $400 a year - there's my new money to build an i7 PC

Video should come soon enough to the Pre, looking forward to flash, and not really missing any apps - though some accelerometer games would be fun
    All the 3GS core apps multi task so saying it doesn't multi task at all is a lie. The browser also does a saved state return very similar to how the Pre works but no cards.

The 3GS is significantly faster, renders better (animations for one) and lacks the checker boarding and scroll lag found through out the Pre.

The touch screen is more responsive and has better accuracy. Build quality is also superior. The device has many more options to customize how things work as well and the core apps have worked well since 1.0 and have been speedy.

The Pre has a long way to go. Still typing this on a Pre though. I might jump ship for the Hero though.
    The web pages in Safari seem to scroll slower and not as far compared to the Pre. And the amount of material displayed is less when placed next to the Pre.

The iPhone, however, scrolls smoother than the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    All the 3GS core apps multi task so saying it doesn't multi task at all is a lie. The browser also does a saved state return very similar to how the Pre works but no cards.

The 3GS is significantly faster, renders better (animations for one) and lacks the checker boarding and scroll lag found through out the Pre.

The touch screen is more responsive and has better accuracy. Build quality is also superior. The device has many more options to customize how things work as well and the core apps have worked well since 1.0 and have been speedy.

The Pre has a long way to go. Still typing this on a Pre though. I might jump ship for the Hero though.
    Most of what you're saying is true but I'd be disappointed in Apple if a Palm 1.0 device is far superior to an Apple 3.0 device. If you want comparisons, compare the 1.0 iphone to the 1.0 Pre. Pre has lots of maturing that still needs to take place but the potential is just really great for this platform and for a 1.0 device that can truly multi-task, it's not bad at all.
    I have both. The main prob w 3gs is the notifications. Only one at a time and when phone is asleep once you swipe to turn on notification disappears and no way to get back.
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinaltman View Post
    I have both. The main prob w 3gs is the notifications. Only one at a time and when phone is asleep once you swipe to turn on notification disappears and no way to get back.
    Agreed. Notifications are far better on the Pre. They're even better than on Android which was the previous best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post

You know, I remember you mentioned the checkerboarding on some earlier post. I spent about an hour playing with a 3GS in an Apple store about a week ago. Kind of wanted to mess with it and see what the fuss is all about.

The iPhone is aethetically pretty. Great build quality. So that was nice, but overall, I really REALLY found the 3GS to be clunky compared to the pre. I felt like I had to backtrack a lot on it. I even switched between various 3GS's in store to see if it was just that one device was having a clunky day. But, they were all that way. And when I talked with the Apple rep, I asked him about it and he whipped out his 3GS. He let me mess with his, telling me that it would be "much faster" than the demos. But, it wasn't.

I was glad I looked at it though, because is absolutely confirmed that a touchscreen keyboard is not something I am willing to live with. I have tiny hands and STILL couldn't type on the 3GS.

Funny thing was though, that as I was scrolling through the various apps and whatnot on the 3GS I noticed TONS of checkerboarding. To say that the 3GS doesn't have checkerboarding is simply inaccurate. I recall being surprised that the iPhone 3GS checkerboarded -- because I remembered that you mentioned that it didn't. Anyway, that was my experience with the 3GS.

There are DEFINITELY some things (well, apps really) that are on the iPhone I would love to see on the pre. It was nice that there was a Kindle app, for example. I work in literature and live on my Kindle. So that cross-interface would be nice.

In pretty much every other way -- other than perhaps hardware (I find the pre build just mehh) and amount of apps -- I found the pre to be a superior choice for my own needs. JMHO.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    Wow, great info.
    Thanks so much guys.

Another point is that I just did a comparison.
    I'm on the 450 Everything Data plan and for me, with my company discounts, it's about $56 a month.

An equivilant plan on AT&T, including the navigation and after discounts, would be $90 for me.

$34 a month / $408 a year is REALLY hard to ignore.
    Same issue here. Due to pricing alone, ATT is not in the running. I have a $169/month Family Data Share plan. That includes 2 lines and 3000 shared minutes. Additional lines are $20 each. I have 5 additional lines. You are only supposed to have 3 additional lines, for a total of 5 but I called Sprint and they let me have a 6th a few years ago, and then I called again recently, and they let me add a 7th. (Large family). That $269/month for 7 lines.

Try calling ATT or Verizon for that matter and asking them to bend the rules on the number of lines on a shared plan. Good luck.

Two of the lines are blackberry's. Blackberry Internet Service is included in the everything data share plan. It is something like $30/line at Verizon and ATT. The plan includes TV, Navigation, unlimited text and data, the works. To get all of that on 7 shared lines with 3000 anytime minutes anywhere else would be a helluva lot more than I pay, probably $400 or more. I don't know, I haven't priced it.

But, even better, I have a 20 percent discount because my wife works for a company that gets a discount. So our $269/month is reduced by $54, and comes out to about $215 month. That is an amazingly low amount, when you compare it to what I would pay anywhere else.

If Sprint had the 3GS, then it would be a tougher call. For me, it would depend on whether there were any apps I needed that the Pre doesn't have. Both are very nice phones. But putting one on ATT kills the deal for me, and if Verizon got it, it wouldn't get any sweeter. I had Verizon, and for all the complaints about Sprint CS, they have been very easy to deal with the past several years, but Verizon remains big and inflexible. I have ATT for landlines, and they suck. Talk about huge and inflexible. No thanks, I like doing business with the company that seems to want to fight to keep me.
    For those complaining about no multitasking on the iphone. In 5 minutes with a jailbreak and backgrounder you have excellent multitasking on the iphone. Many people running it that way. Major complaint is its sucks the battery like the Pre.
    For the average Joe they dont need true multitasking because the iphones core apps already do it.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Most of what you're saying is true but I'd be disappointed in Apple if a Palm 1.0 device is far superior to an Apple 3.0 device. If you want comparisons, compare the 1.0 iphone to the 1.0 Pre. Pre has lots of maturing that still needs to take place but the potential is just really great for this platform and for a 1.0 device that can truly multi-task, it's not bad at all.
    Who gives a damn if the Pre is 1.0, Palm has been making phones for many years and had the old Palm OS before developing the WebOS but yet webOS is missing many features that the Palm OS had. Apple just started making phones in 2007.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast