Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    IMHO the Pre kills the iphone over usability; It's just easier and more enjoyable to use, but I think Palm needs to really get on the ball and unleash the real power of the Pre and find a way to get OpenGL acceleration working. I am not sure when or if OpenGL will happen, but I know if Tegra-based phones come out before they implement OpenGL support, the Pre will have a decreased life expectancy, because a lot of technology freaks will go running to Tegra. Who can say no to a 100 hours of audio and 10 hours of video at 720i? It might be a wise decision to find a way for WebOS to work with Tegra, and maybe we could see a Pre with these abilities. I've heard that it only works on Andriod and CE at the momemnt, but Apple, Microsoft, and HTC have been hinting at Tegra-equiped phones. So if Apple can do it, why can't Palm do it as well?

Rumors are that T-Mobile will have a tegra-powered phone in Q4 2009.
    On another note, this may be a good time to invest in Nvidia stock.....
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Tegra's a great candidate for Pre 2.0.

-mark
    Quote Originally Posted by ken0311 View Post
    IMHO the Pre kills the iphone over usability; It's just easier and more enjoyable to use, but I think Palm needs to really get on the ball and unleash the real power of the Pre and find a way to get OpenGL acceleration working. I am not sure when or if OpenGL will happen, but I know if Tegra-based phones come out before they implement OpenGL support, the Pre will have a decreased life expectancy, because a lot of technology freaks will go running to Tegra. Who can say no to a 100 hours of audio and 10 hours of video at 720i? It might be a wise decision to find a way for WebOS to work with Tegra, and maybe we could see a Pre with these abilities. I've heard that it only works on Andriod and CE at the momemnt, but Apple, Microsoft, and HTC have been hinting at Tegra-equiped phones. So if Apple can do it, why can't Palm do it as well?

that phone looks huge!!!
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts

I didn't care for it... it looks as though it would just kill the phones battery and the touch screen wasn't responsive enough. I'm not impressed... personally
    This is like a fricken game of clue... The Pre killed the Iphone in the study with the lead pipe...

It matters little, I guess. Just funny.
    The Pre's CPU is actually faster than the Tegra's CPU. It's only the GPU where the Tegra is ahead. With that being the case, why would anyone want to take a step backward for everything the phone is actually for? The only real advantage the Tegra gives is in games and videos. I'll stick with the OMAP3430 any day.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    This is like a fricken game of clue... The Pre killed the Iphone in the study with the lead pipe...

It matters little, I guess. Just funny.
    Lol. What a great metaphor.
    Almost as good as Palm's commercials!
    Looks awesome. I doubt WebOS will pick this up though. Looks like it could trump the pre.
    Looks like a F***** Brick with lights! I personally would never buy a phone that big! Mght as well carry around your PSP for a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The Pre's CPU is actually faster than the Tegra's CPU. It's only the GPU where the Tegra is ahead. With that being the case, why would anyone want to take a step backward for everything the phone is actually for? The only real advantage the Tegra gives is in games and videos. I'll stick with the OMAP3430 any day.
    I agree completely. Tegra seems to be far more oriented towards mobile video players/game platforms than smartphones (see Zune HD). The power drain on a chunk of silicon like that must be immense.

Another more likely competitor to OMAP3 is Qualcomm's Snapdragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Flashy screens and 720p means nothing if your batteries dead in 2hrs. When they make a battery that can last 10-12 hrs whie running apps then maybe.
    Until then simple, powerful, ease of use and Linux FTW.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekknology View Post
    Flashy screens and 720p means nothing if your batteries dead in 2hrs. When they make a battery that can last 10-12 hrs whie running apps then maybe.
    +1
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekknology View Post
    But the battery isn't dead in 2hrs. The tergra 600 or 650 can do 10 hours of 720i and 100 hours of cd-quality music before it dies. If used as a only phone this thing could potentially last for a month without a charge, and for weeks if you do other things like watch movies, surf the web (gpu accelerated flash) or listen to music.

And the Nvidia Tegra device is mainly just a showcase for their chipset. The chipset itself will make its way into netbooks and smartphones.

Pre and WebOS could made into God's phone with this chipset.
    If used as a only phone this thing could potentially last for a month without a charge, and for weeks if you do other things like watch movies, surf the web (gpu accelerated flash) or listen to music.
    Entirely utter BS. Yes, the Tegra can supposedly play 100 hours of music and 10 hours of 720p video on a single charge, but that is most likely done through a specialized DSP / decoder chip on the GPU end of things that uses extremely low power to play those types of things. (Sort of like a more powerful version of the DSP chip that the OMAP3430 has, though who knows if it exists in this specific Pre implementation).

But your statement that I quoted above is just false. Sure, for specialized functions like I just acknowledged, a DSP / GPU decode chip works well. But to say that if you were using it as a phone it'd last for a month between charges is so wrong I don't even know where to start. First of all, there are very few phone specific functions that the GPU can assist with. And more importantly, where do you think that chipset is going to get the signal from? Just like the Pre, it'll need a cell radio, Bluetooth radio, Wifi radio, and GPS radio (though some or all of these can be integrated into one chip), and that is where the majority of battery is used.
    More power doesn't always equal win. Sony and nintendo is a good example of that. For me it's about usability and I wouldn't want to use a phone that freaking huge. I don't think it will fit in my pant pockets.
    I think going with an ARM11 CPU is a step back compared to the Cortex A8 in the Pre and iPhone 3GS.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Entirely utter BS. Yes, the Tegra can supposedly play 100 hours of music and 10 hours of 720p video on a single charge, but that is most likely done through a specialized DSP / decoder chip on the GPU end of things that uses extremely low power to play those types of things. (Sort of like a more powerful version of the DSP chip that the OMAP3430 has, though who knows if it exists in this specific Pre implementation).

But your statement that I quoted above is just false. Sure, for specialized functions like I just acknowledged, a DSP / GPU decode chip works well. But to say that if you were using it as a phone it'd last for a month between charges is so wrong I don't even know where to start. First of all, there are very few phone specific functions that the GPU can assist with. And more importantly, where do you think that chipset is going to get the signal fainly lower cpu usage when the phone is in use. rom? Just like the Pre, it'll need a cell radio, Bluetooth radio, Wifi radio, and GPS radio (though some or all of these can be integrated into one chip), and that is where the majority of battery is used.

You're right, I was getting too excited and comparing the music to phone calls.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I think going with an ARM11 CPU is a step back compared to the Cortex A8 in the Pre and iPhone 3GS.
    Yeah, but hardware acceleration makes up for the difference. Maybe they did it to lower the power consumption of main cpu?
    Yes, the Tegra will fix the calendar, sync and copy & paste. Looking forward to lose myself is spinning photos and 7 dimensions browser.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YBCold View Post
    Looks like a F***** Brick with lights! I personally would never buy a phone that big! Mght as well carry around your PSP for a phone.
    Hm, I love big/thick phones for some reason.

Here's a video of it:

The user interface is REALLY nice.
    The videos play while you flick through... and it's real smooth. It's like TouchFlo with video playback while you flick through, but smooth.

However, it's for movie/video/game lovers by the looks of it.
    It reminds me of a heavily upgraded EnV Touch, mostly because it's simply one of those media phones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast