Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    I am hoping a few pre owners have had bb and winmo and can say if they like their pre better.

I had a 650 which i loved. i am on vzw, and when my 650 crapped out on me last year, vzw had no other new treos coming, so i got a curve and xv6800. I don't think the curve had as much going for it as the 650 did in regard to the ease of use, etc., but was newer, lighter etc. Truthfully, I loved pos even though it was dated.

The curve is very stable, and works great. I am looking at the tour, but also at some of the new winmo phones (omnia 2 and touchpro2), but haven't decided about touchscreen only, bb vs. winmo. etc.

I think the pre will be available to vzw at the end of the year, and I want to know how pre owners who have had bb or winmo would compare the phones. Is the pre everything it was hyped to be. Looking for real comparisons, not people who haven't had other systems. Thanks! (and let's not waste posts saying to change carriers;-)
    You're going to get a lot of answers here that webOS is better... You definitely won't get an unbiased answer here. Heres my take on it, coming from a Pearl.

Blackberry's OS works, it does what its supposed to, but the browser is weak, the only way to get a decent browser on Blackberry OS is Opera, which is also kind of weak, compared to the Pre's browser. Opera Mini renders full web pages, but its a bit slow, unoptimized, and you have to zoom in and out to navigate.

Blackberry Messenger is really its only strong point, but considering I owned my Pre for over 2 years, I only had a handful of friends who ever had a Blackberry at any point to utilize it. AIM, Googletalk, MSN, and Yahoo all use the same format as Blackberry Messenger, but they have to be seperate apps, so the Pre has this beat, because its integrated, and I'm certain more supported protocols are on the way.

Speed, the Pearl was slow, I understand the newer BB's are much faster, so its kind of moot, the Pre is much faster.

Friend of mine has 2 Blackberry's and the Pre(the 2 BB's are for work, one is a Bold, the other a Curve), and he uses the Pre the most, he only uses the Curve for work, he's always clicking away on his Pre messaging, browsing, etc, he actually got his own Sprint plan just so he could get the Pre.

Multitasking, the Blackberry OS does it, and its not too bad at it. I had a hot key set up to act like "Alt+tab" in Windows, so I could easily switch apps. The Pre is a little more elegant at this, you can even enable advanced gestures and switch app with the flick of your finger.

The trackball. This was always a big downside to me. I HATE the BB trackball, its clumsy, its inaccurate, its notchy feeling, and a lot of the time, it just plain didn't work. It fell out, I lost mine once, and so did a friend of mine, and its just a bad idea for a phone, IMO. Touch screen wins for me, I will NEVER have a non-touch phone again, hands down.

Battery life. I'd say the Pearl was on par with my Pre, if not slightly worse, if I didn't put the Pearl on the charger every night, itd be dead before morning. I switched batteries too, thinking I had a bad one, turns out it was just that bad. After owning my current Pre since 2 weeks after launch(had to return my launch day pre, earpiece stopped working), the battery life has improved significantly. I do, however, still want to get the Seidio 2300mAh battery, but only for convenience sake, not because I need it.

Screen, Pre has it hands down, this is by far the best looking screen on a phone I've seen. Its even better looking than my Zune's screen, and my Zune was my previous benchmark of great screens. Blackberry's have always been kind of lacking in the screen department, even the Storm doesn't stack up, IMO.

Buttons. My friend with the Bold and the Curve, he likes the buttons on the Pre MUCH better, as do I. The buttons on the Curve and Bold are clicky, hard plastic, and just do not feel nice. The buttons on the Pre are very comfortable, soft rubber, its no comparison, the Pre feels so much nicer to type on. I also find myself making less mistakes on the Pre than on his phones.

Thats my end of things from a BB to Pre perspective, I can't say much for Windows Mobile other than that every WM phone I've used, even ones with custom roms, were much slower than I ever expected them to be.
    Winmo and BB are much more mature platforms. However- both are antiquated in comparsion to the webos.

The decision is easy IMO- if webos offers what you need than go with it. If it doesnt than wait.

The functionality it has today is butter smooth and works great. Just dont expect to stream satellite radio and get LED notifications on new messages. (for example)
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Having suffered through the Windows Mobile experience for two years before switching to the Pre (Sprint Mogul and Touch Pro following the Treo 650), I can say with all candor: I would never go back. The Pre doesn't have as many applications and doesn't do PIM as well as WinMo, but I can do things with my Pre that I simply never could with my Mogul or Touch Pro.

I've been searching for a house rather frantically the last few weeks, following the foreclosure of the house my family has been renting, and I can say that the Pre has been remarkable. The ability to use Sprint Navigation easily while switching from the MLS site to emails to PDFs of offers to taking calls, etc., etc., makes the Pre an eminently more usable device than WinMo will probably ever be. Maybe Microsoft will make some great strides in V7, but until then WebOS is in a completely different league.

Incidentally, I'm a Microsoft fan. I'm running Windows 7 on my two desktops, my Dell Tablet PC, and my MacBook Pro (as the primary OS). I use Office exclusively, use Live Mesh as my file sharing/backup tool, etc., etc. In addition to my "real" job as marketing manager, I also maintain my company's SharePoint server. So, I would love for Windows Mobile to be an outstanding mobile operating system. Alas, it's not. If the Pre wasn't working for me, I'd get an Android device (wouldn't carry an iPhone if you paid me), and I'm no fan of Google.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I owned the curve 8330 for a year prior to getting the pre. At the time I got the 8330 it was my opinion that blackberry was the best smartphone available. But after a year of using it there were just somethings about it that I felt were lacking or annoying.

Having come from using palmOS PDAs I found giving up the ease of a touchscreen for the trackball to be the most annoying thing about the BB. Obviously this could be remedied with a quality touchscreen. One of the benefits of going to the 8330 was the keyboard. So for me I wouldn't accept a device with a touchscreen without a physical keyboard. Outside of those two things I can't really say there is any other aspect of the hardware part I could complain about. Even in the newer models they simply reuse the same features but improve the screen, cpu etc and cosmetics.

On the software/OS side is where the real differences are for me. The 8330 was decent at multitasking but much slower than I expected out of a multitask capable device (this probably due to the lack of performance from cpu, ram, etc). My biggest issue in software is the browser including 3rd party ones. Browsing was slow and clumsy (not counting page load times). Full page viewing was limited to very few zoom levels and required zooming in and out all the time trying to get to everything you wanted to see. All the browsers lacked in functionality in one way or another so that interacting with certain parts of pages were impossible. On the pre using the browser is identical to my experience browsing on my pc. Gestures for zooming in and out and scrolling are natural and make it easy and quick to navigate all over the pages and aren't limited between max and min zoom level so that you can zoom in or out to that just right for you zoom level.

Also the lack of any useful free/open source apps on the platform made me cringe. Having come from using palmOS for years I only ever bought two things and they were both cheap but high quality. One was a suite of maintenance apps and the other was financial app. But with BB even the most simplest apps cost over $10 something that only contained a few dozen lines of code at most. Seriously a lot of things that are typical freeware/open source on other platforms were charged for and charged too much for and had no freeware/open source alternative to.

Switching between tasks was not as smooth as I would have liked. It was similar to switching tasks using McPhling on palmOS. But when I saw how task switching worked on webOS coupled with the multitasking I was like that is so much a better for me. I have even found that I don't have to go away from card view with some apps to look at them side by side for comparison of notes or what ever little things I need to compared side by side. No interruption to what I'm doing when a call comes in with blackberry the call screen replaced the task at hand. The notification bar at the bottom of the screen with a preview of message, event, etc is really nice so that you don't have to switch away from what you are doing to see what you just got notified for.

Now for things about blackberry I like that webOS doesn't have yet. Notification profiles: you can assign custom sounds to every event from built in fuctions to those from 3rd parties apps. You could create exceptions you could toggle on and off to the profile as well. A good example is allowing a contact to ring through on a silent profile. Even with the homebrew app for the pre notification profiling is very limited compared to blackberry. However because of the free/open source/homebrew efforts of the palm community this is something we won't have to wait long to see happen on webOS. More icons on the screen at once is nice but ease scrolling switching pages makes up for that though I think I would still like to have more on the screen anyways.

All in all webOS and the pre are just more natural and logical to me when using compared to BB. It is my opinion now that webOS is a reality that the RIM will have to come up to its level to compete for the non-business consumers. If you work in the corporate world the BB may be better suited especially if who you work for is tied into and centered on BB centric stuff. For everyone else webOS either is for them or very well can be for them through updates and 3rd party apps. Just like any new platform or device there is a general concern about updates and 3rd party apps but palm has had a strong 3rd party (free and paid) community which in the near future should see a lot of new apps and functionality come in addition to the already excellent work that has been done to do so already.
    I'll just be brief in saying that for my needs, there is absolutely no comparison between my Curve and my Pre. This phone is amazing.

2 things I miss:
    Spell Check
    Notification Lights

Other than that, I shed no tears for my old Curve.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Coming from a Treo 800w (WinMo), WebOS was a huge improvement for me. In my opinion, the web browser in WebOS is so much nicer to use than Skyfire on WinMo. The ability to use OWA on the native email app in WebOS was the icing on the cake for me. The only things I really miss from WinMo are the applications I normally used, such as Pocket Quicken, Documents to Go (I didn't like the way Excel Mobile handled my files).

Hardware wise, I lucked out, as the Pre is able to use all my 800w charging adapters and cords. I do miss the 5-way navigator from the Treo, as well as the silencer switch that kills *all* sounds.
  8. hec
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I've been primarily a WinMo user for years now, with occasional deviations toward Palm devices, and although I agree that the out-of-the box experience with these leaves much to be desired, they at least provided the means customize it to one's liking.

Thanks to the plethora of developrs who've produced ROMs, UI's, apps, add-ons, etc. and with the help offered in various forums (e.g., PPCGeeks and XDA-Developers), the possibilities are essentially endless and allow everyone to make their experience as efficient & feature-rich as desired. The device's hardware may provide limitations, but a host of workarounds can remedy most any inconvenience. Oh, and I guess it's worth mentioning the _ability_ to pick from a host of devices and carriers as a plus compared to the WebOS and iPhone OS platforms.

I have no issues multi-tasking (assigned a button to bring up a simple task manager, then select desired program - no more steps than required in WebOS or any other mobile platform and does not _require_ that I use my finger to smudge the screen when doing so) and frankly have yet to see anything WebOS has to offer that would be a compelling reason to jump ship. Nonetheless I've been frequenting this site to learn more about the platform, trying to keep an open mind and hoping that Palm is able to provide some serious competition, which always benefits consumers. From the feedback I've read so far, they have a ways to go.

BTW, I use a BB for work, and I'd ditch it in a heartbeat if I could; I've been spoiled with touch screens for too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    Coming from a Treo 800w (WinMo), WebOS was a huge improvement for me. In my opinion, the web browser in WebOS is so much nicer to use than Skyfire on WinMo. The ability to use OWA on the native email app in WebOS was the icing on the cake for me. The only things I really miss from WinMo are the applications I normally used, such as Pocket Quicken, Documents to Go (I didn't like the way Excel Mobile handled my files).

Hardware wise, I lucked out, as the Pre is able to use all my 800w charging adapters and cords. I do miss the 5-way navigator from the Treo, as well as the silencer switch that kills *all* sounds.
    What sound does the silencer switch on the Pre not kill?
    Quote Originally Posted by hec View Post
    I've been primarily a WinMo user for years now, with occasional deviations toward Palm devices, and although I agree that the out-of-the box experience with these leaves much to be desired, they at least provided the means customize it to one's liking.

Thanks to the plethora of developrs who've produced ROMs, UI's, apps, add-ons, etc. and with the help offered in various forums (e.g., PPCGeeks and XDA-Developers), the possibilities are essentially endless and allow everyone to make their experience as efficient & feature-rich as desired. The device's hardware may provide limitations, but a host of workarounds can remedy most any inconvenience. Oh, and I guess it's worth mentioning the _ability_ to pick from a host of devices and carriers as a plus compared to the WebOS and iPhone OS platforms.

I have no issues multi-tasking (assigned a button to bring up a simple task manager, then select desired program - no more steps than required in WebOS or any other mobile platform and does not _require_ that I use my finger to smudge the screen when doing so) and frankly have yet to see anything WebOS has to offer that would be a compelling reason to jump ship. Nonetheless I've been frequenting this site to learn more about the platform, trying to keep an open mind and hoping that Palm is able to provide some serious competition, which always benefits consumers. From the feedback I've read so far, they have a ways to go.

BTW, I use a BB for work, and I'd ditch it in a heartbeat if I could; I've been spoiled with touch screens for too long.
    You can do all of that by rooting the Pre. It is highly customizable, and the homebrew scene is kicking off right.
    I loved Winmo on my HTC TP. I loved how easily it was customized, the multi-tasking, the thousands of available applications, the great developers over at PPCgeeks and XDA. I could tether easily (I know I can do it with my Pre if I rincroot...), I could have different sounds for different types of events, basically, I could do anything on that phone that I pleased and do so rather easily.

After using the Pre for about a month, however, I'll trade all those great things that Winmo has for the usability and potential that WebOs brings. With all its faults and shortcomings, the Pre is still incredibly easy to use. Multitasking on the Pre is so much smoother than on WinMo. I've used quite a few custom roms on Winmo, and while some sped things up considerably, Winmo still had too many slowdowns. I still had to do a few too many resets.

The homebrew forum is showing how quickly apps, really good apps, can be developed for the Pre. If Palm addresses a few of the easily fixed shortcomings that the Pre has at the moment, it'll be basically the perfect phone for me.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    So far, Alarm Clock and Sprint Nav don't silence with the top switch (for me, at least).
    It does not silence alarms, music, or videos. And apparently sprint nav.
    Last edited by bpdamas; 07/21/2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Update
    If the switch is off (set to silence) and you start Pandora without heaphones plugged in the sound comes out of the speaker. I am guessing the same would happen with YouTube.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Winmo and BB are much more mature platforms. (for example)
    This is definitely true. I had the blackberry curve (which ran an OS whose version was 4.5, versus the Pre that is on 1.0) and it had many of the things that were thoughtfully designed after years of development. Give WebOS some time to learn from its competitors and develop into something awesome.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I've been a long time PalmOS user, and dabbled with both WinMo and BB.

All three of those OSs are more mature than WebOS. They all do a lot of little things that WebOS doesn't do. As far as being productive today, as we sit here, depending on how you use your phone, they are all three probably better than WebOS at that.

They run on slightly more solid and tested hardware. They also have a sphere of applications around them that WebOS just can't touch at the moment.

That being said, WebOS is so far ahead of all of them from a framework perspective already that the choice between WebOS and any of the others (aside from possibly Android devices or the iPhone) isn't even close, IMO.

In the timeframe you are looking at (end of the year) I expect Palm/3rd party developers will have made up all the significant gaps in terms of functionality that is currently lacking, and then some.

At that point, I'd say that the Pre/WebOS will be - or at least would be - my first choice.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Browsing experience on the BB is just sub par. Its just a email device. I have not owned any BB , but used friend's for occasional browsing. My 2 cents , BB is a solid phone + tight email device.

But folks overlook BB on few things. The email client is not a true HTML client. Which means you cannot see the webpages inside the email. If you even used evite or free conference calls , you notice that the invitation email will have HTML page embedded in it. BB doesn't display them gracefully.

I owned and used HTC touch , PALM Treo 800w. I am a Microsoft fan, these phones are super duper in terms of features.

Copy paste,
    Tethering,
    USB host ( i.e. you can read your SD card directly from this phone with an adapter)
    Variety of browsers ( Opera, IE, IRIS, Opera mini, Skyfire, Netfront)
    Voice recording
    Video recording
    External card
    Excellent Email Client

WinMos beat the heck out of every phone out there ( including Pre and iPhone) on a feature to feature comparison.

Sadly the windows phone needs to be rebooted every day.
    You have to kill applications to make it run efficient.
    None of the five browsers ( yes I used five ) works well. Its like for general browsing use Opera for flash support use SkyFire and for quicker browsing user Opera mini or IRIS.... etc.

In the beginning it was fun tweaking the thing to death.

In the end , it was simply too much hassle to go thru custom ROM upgrades, tweaks , regedit modifications ...... etc. Waste of time.

I want the phone to save time for me , not the other way around.

Like wynad32 said , I love WinMo, and will definitely keep an eye on the WinMo7 when it comes out.

Though I miss many features , the browsing experience on my Pre is simply the best.

For now its Pre .
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    And one more thing ,
    Multitasking.
    The best multitasking phone ever built with slick UI.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    REally appreciate the input, especially those who put quite a bit of time into the post.

I like my curve, it's very solid. I think the browser is terrible, and I use it more and more. For POS guys, remember DA? I couldn't believe I had to give it up with the curve. But now I just put the persons name into google, and I get a phone number and address, and can map it.

I hate to admit it, but the iphone scores a 10/10 when it comes to a browser that actually renders all sites like your desktop. The pre looks pretty good, actually, the new browser in BB4.7 is a big step up, it does do html email btw.

I think I am going to hold off on the tour for a few months to see a)if pre is really coming to vzw at 6mo period, and b)see if winmo devices are hitting vzw.

BTW, how is the quality of the slider on the pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    ...the Pre has been remarkable. The ability to use Sprint Navigation easily while switching from the MLS site to emails to PDFs of offers to taking calls, etc., etc., makes the Pre an eminently more usable device than WinMo will probably ever be....
    I have the same phone you mention the Touch Pro and I can do all those things on winmo just fine, including switching between them so I am not sure what problems you had? Now I agree the pre is smoother and prettier but winmo works just fine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast