Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post

I hate to admit it, but the iphone scores a 10/10 when it comes to a browser that actually renders all sites like your desktop. The pre looks pretty good, actually, the new browser in BB4.7 is a big step up, it does do html email btw.

I think I am going to hold off on the tour for a few months to see a)if pre is really coming to vzw at 6mo period, and b)see if winmo devices are hitting vzw.

BTW, how is the quality of the slider on the pre?
    The quality is of the slider on Pre is good.
    Don't expect it to slide on a iron rails ( sort of ) , but its solid.
    I dropped mine twice from 4 ft height , the thing is solid.

Regarding BB browser (except STORM) , it is still not as usable as Pre.
    BB is not a touchscreen phone ( except of course STORM) hence the multitouch feature is not there. The track ball is good , but not as efficient as multitouch.

You have more options than Pre if you are holding for 6 months.

You can check the new Windows ( if it gets better) and boatload of Android devices that will be released. And who knows , APPLE might let Verizon have its iPhone too.
    I agree with what most said here.

Coming from a Treo you should be confident that Palms experience will shine when Webos gets fully functional with more apps.

Things you will most likely miss from the treo that Palm Pre doesn't have are:
    The Nav pad with center select button: This was a nice feature similiar to track ball in BB, it makes Copy/paste easier, easier to select text and space where you input, Also was nice to have option of not having to use Touch, True one handed operation.

The Video & Voice recording: these will most likely be made avail. in the Pre with Future software updates, Hopefully before 2nd Gen Pre.

The Sd card Slot: It was a necessity with the Treo & BB, as there was limited memory on board the Pre comes with 8gb on board so it will be ton more than your used to having, However 8GB is the limit. On a Webos device meant to sync with everything and act as a multimedia smart phone it should have been made avail. 16+ GB on baord ( A true disappointment on Palm, they fell way short with this one as no software update can fix this.

Battery: The Treos battery was Ok a god day & 1/2 on moderate to heavy use. The Pre's battery the weakest and really limits User experience, most of us pre users on here are finding ourselves trying to tweak phone settings to extend battery life, Blue Tooth off location services off ect.. Well after disablig these features it limits the phones true perfromance as a Webos smart phone.

Lastly and probably the biggest Diff. between Pre & TREO or BB is
    Build Quality: BB & Treos Are Solid devices you can feel the heft, the stability and sturdyness. I owned a TReo and it had been dropped numerous times no problems, even dropped it in Water It recovered completely, The keyboard was nice and tactile, I didnt feel I had to baby my Treo, The Pre on the other hand feels cheap, loose and there have been some Serious hardware issues.

That being said I am confident in Palm to fix these issues in future releases..

Webos Is amazing ahead of everything else it keeps the strengths of Palms legacy of true Smart Phone functions adding multi tasking, & A beautiful UI.

If you rely on your smart phone for business and consider your self a Heavy business user I would suggest you really look into something designed more for business like the BB, I advise against any WIn Mobile OS. Win Mobile devices are hogs. The best suggestion is to Test drive the Pre you have 30days to try it if it doesn't meet your needs return it.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    REally appreciate the input, especially those who put quite a bit of time into the post.

I like my curve, it's very solid. I think the browser is terrible, and I use it more and more. For POS guys, remember DA? I couldn't believe I had to give it up with the curve. But now I just put the persons name into google, and I get a phone number and address, and can map it.

I hate to admit it, but the iphone scores a 10/10 when it comes to a browser that actually renders all sites like your desktop. The pre looks pretty good, actually, the new browser in BB4.7 is a big step up, it does do html email btw.

I think I am going to hold off on the tour for a few months to see a)if pre is really coming to vzw at 6mo period, and b)see if winmo devices are hitting vzw.

BTW, how is the quality of the slider on the pre?

I have no problem with the iPhone scoring a 9/10 when it comes to it's browser. It's a fantastic mobile browser. I'll dock it a point for not having flash.

The Pre is right there, though, around 8/10. And it'll probably be 10/10 when flash comes to the phone this fall.

BB is headed down the same road that the original PalmOS went down, IMO. It was built for one specific purpose (BB: Mail, PalmOS: PIM) and it's been tweaked to death to provide more functionality that the platform framework was never really designed for, and it shows somewhat.

The Tour is to the BB world what the 700p or 680p was to the Palm world. It's a good, mature device, with lots of great functionality that does what it does pretty well, but doesn't really do anything spectacular.

The "3rd Gen" smartphone world is here (iPhone/WebOS/Android) and the "2nd Gen" smartphone world (WinMo/BB/Symbian) is slowly going to fade, IMO, much like the PalmOS platform has over the course of the last 5 years or so.

The slider, IMO, is pretty solid. Mine has a wee little bit of play to it when it's closed, but I don't worry about it lasting until it's time to upgrade at all.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I have also owned a BB and a WinMo phone- a BB storm (ick) and the VX6800.

The ONLY thing that the other two phones had over the Pre is the ability to send out Mass Text messages, or emails to multi recipients with ease. However, this is something that should be addressed by Palm (or a 3rd party) sometime soon.

One thing that I think you should seriously consider here: The Pre's Keyboard. It is simply the best phone keypad that I have ever used. This was very surprising to me to discover, as it was one of my main concerns. However, the speed that I am able to achieve with it is nothing short of amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    The quality is of the slider on Pre is good.
    There are a lot of people on this forum that would disagree with that assessment.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    There are a lot of people on this forum that would disagree with that assessment.
    And A LOT that would agree. Funny how that works, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    And A LOT that would agree. Funny how that works, eh?
    What is it with you fanboys? Even with as many people as have complained about the slider problems on the Pre you cannot simply concede that it's a weak point of the Pre? You have to nitpick and argue every little point to death? I could point to literally hundreds (possibly even thousands?) of posts here about people having issues with the slider. I have seen very, very few posts saying that the slider is great and they all come from the same group of about 10 hardcore Palm fanboys such as yourself that say everything about the Pre is perfect. Do you really think you are adding any value to the discussion when you start a flamewar over every little negative point? You guys are really making using the forum a chore.
    What is it with you fanboys? Even with as many people as have complained about the slider problems on the Pre you cannot simply concede that it's a weak point of the Pre? You have to nitpick and argue every little point to death? I could point to literally hundreds (possibly even thousands?) of posts here about people having issues with the slider. I have seen very, very few posts saying that the slider is great and they all come from the same group of about 10 hardcore Palm fanboys such as yourself that say everything about the Pre is perfect. Do you really think you are adding any value to the discussion when you start a flamewar over every little negative point? You guys are really making using the forum a chore.
    Actually, I would have to disaree strongly with you here. There are more people on here not complaining about their sliders than there are.

In this particular instance, one user said that "The quality is of the slider on Pre is good." (his personal experience). You responded that "a lot of people on this forum that would disagree with that assessment" - I'd suggest that was the nitpicking part.

Even if you disagree, and feel it wasn't, I don't see how you can rant that someone else is "nitpicking" when they simply counter with "And A LOT that would agree. Funny how that works, eh? ", which is also a true statement.

No name calling from the poster, no flamewar, at least, not until your response.

BTW, he didn't say it was "great". He said it was "good". Personally, I would rate it as "fair" after pullilng the battery and looking closer at it, but I'm still of the opinion that more people are satisified with theirs than aren't.
    What is it with you fanboys? Even with as many people as have complained about the slider problems on the Pre you cannot simply concede that it's a weak point of the Pre? You have to nitpick and argue every little point to death? I could point to literally hundreds (possibly even thousands?) of posts here about people having issues with the slider. I have seen very, very few posts saying that the slider is great and they all come from the same group of about 10 hardcore Palm fanboys such as yourself that say everything about the Pre is perfect. Do you really think you are adding any value to the discussion when you argue every little negative point? You guys are really making using the forum a chore.
    I'm a fanboy because I like the phone and base my posts on my personal experience rather than on the crap I read on the internet? My slider is damn good. Its better than any slider phone i've owned or used, including, most recently, a couple of HTC Touch Pros. I haven't started a thread about it for the same reason that I don't usually start threads about anything- there's already too many of them.

I'm far from a fanboy. If a better phone comes out tomorrow, I'll get it. I have no stake in the Pre other than I think it's the best phone for me right now. I don't think everything about the Pre is perfect- far from it. There's a lot of stuff that could be better. On the other hand, not everything about the Pre is ****ty, as some trolls would have you believe. There are A LOT of repeat whiners on these threads, and I simply sometimes point out when those whiners exaggerate or lie or make bs arguments. No need to get your panties in a bunch.
    You see? This is what I'm talking about. You can't have a discussion around here without these self-appointed thought policemen jumping in to argue every point and call you a troll if you say something negative about the Pre.
    You see? This is what I'm talking about. You can't have a discussion around here without these self-appointed thought policemen jumping in to argue every point and call you a troll if you say something negative about the Pre.
    Dude, I know exactly what you mean:

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
    What is it with you fanboys? Even with as many people as have complained about the slider problems on the Pre you cannot simply concede that it's a weak point of the Pre?
    The nerve of that guy, responding to a rant about one of his posts!!
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    I know what you mean, you can't say anythig bad about the Pre without being called an Apple fanboy or a troll.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Guys
    Stop fighting, the slider is good , not great.

You can probably replace the plastic case with a ceramic titanium shell and a glass screen. Also remove the slider and replace with Titanium railings to slide on.

I can find issue with any phone build quality if its not built by
    NASA on a mission.

Gimme a break guys, its a phone.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    BB is headed down the same road that the original PalmOS went down, IMO. It was built for one specific purpose (BB: Mail, PalmOS: PIM) and it's been tweaked to death to provide more functionality that the platform framework was never really designed for, and it shows somewhat.

The Tour is to the BB world what the 700p or 680p was to the Palm world. It's a good, mature device, with lots of great functionality that does what it does pretty well, but doesn't really do anything spectacular.

The "3rd Gen" smartphone world is here (iPhone/WebOS/Android) and the "2nd Gen" smartphone world (WinMo/BB/Symbian) is slowly going to fade, IMO, much like the PalmOS platform has over the course of the last 5 years or so.

The slider, IMO, is pretty solid. Mine has a wee little bit of play to it when it's closed, but I don't worry about it lasting until it's time to upgrade at all.
    Very well said.
    RIMM is operating exactly like the old PALM.
    Curve to Bold to Tour , same phone incremental improvements.

They haven't addressed anything about improving the platform.

Forget the features , all these Berries are not even Touchscreen ( leave that wacky STORM alone).

For most of the folks BB is a great device , because they haven't seen anything better.
    Those who has seen , jumped on the iPhone bandwagon.

Sometimes I feel Nokia was the real deal.
    It was ahead of the curve longtime back.
    Unfortunately folks were not ready five years back when Nokia had all the features (bluetooth, wifi , decent browser ......)
    I had some other thoughts to share since I didn't saying anything about winmo in my last post. These thoughts are in the 2nd paragraph. So if you are only interested in those skip down. This paragraph will contribute observations on the inevitable counter points of two sides of complaints vs praises. The general tendency is that people will complaint far more than they will praise about something. This is more common in technology that anything else. Thus in forums like this especially when something is brand spanking new it can appear as if there is a huge problem with something such as the slider. However when you compare the complaints to the total number of people on the forum then you realize the problem isn't as big as it appears. As of this post there are over 56,000 members. There are only 500 threads in which the word slider is mentioned and 167 threads where the word oreo is mentioned. If we are to assume all those threads contain at least one unique person who has a problem with the slider then that would be 667 people with a complaint about the slider. That is 1.1% of the total forum people but lets assume there is 5 even 10 times that many unique persons with a complaint about the slider that would be 5 to 10% of the forum. But is hardly a proper representation of the number of people who have a pre (including those who may not have kept theirs beyond the 30 days). With as many as have sold this forum represents less than 10% of everyone who bought a pre. So if 10% of the forum complains about the slider that is less than 1% of everyone who bought a pre. Suddenly any complaints on the forum become insignificant in the whole picture and because membership is not high enough to be a proper sample size for a study can't be used as representation of the whole of the pre purchasers.

Here is my thoughts on winmo

I've never used a winmo device but have a friend who has one. Older treo (looks kind of bulky guessing a 700w/wx). He complains most about web browsing but appears to be fine with most everything else. It has a touchscreen and seems to be fairly good. I don't see him have an issues with it. And seeing as winmo isn't the least popular platform I can assume that generally speaking people like the platform and devices. In fact the treo pro looks like a really nice device without having had any hands on with it. I hear the Touch Pro (it appears multiple models) is nice as well and looks nice.

But because there are other platforms out there I personally won't buy winmo because I don't agree with microsoft's business ethics etc but won't go there in this discussion. Honestly without significant hands on time like I guess I would say from like a swap like they do with the smartphone round table thing I can't really say I find anything bad to say about each platform. They have all come a long way from when they started. If winmo was the only mobile platform I would probably be ok with it being on my device. Just like I'm ok with windows on my PC. But as soon as I have viable options it is anything but microsoft that I'm game for. Obviously experience with the companies behind the platform plays a role with product preference and I have always liked what palm has done up until I needed to replace my dumbphone and also was looking to upgrade my PDA a year ago.

Having had my palm T5 for 3 years and seeing the need of mobile computing in my pocket beyond what the T5 could do for me. I always watched palm for new stuff but never really had anything appeal to me until the pre. Obviously since I needed to go beyond what palmOS offered and had options besides winmo I looked into those options. So I went with blackberry at that time and was satisfied with it. But with webOS I seen the ability to do even better everything I used a mobile platform for and so it was logical for me to go to it. In fact had palm not come out with webOS in all likely hood I would have looked at other mobile platform options. I may have even gone winmo if it offered to me what I am getting from webOS but only if I had no other viable options. I had considered back before I got the T5 to go with a winmo based PDA but was not certain of what I wanted so I stuck with palmOS. Again company behind the products playing a role in my decisions of my product purchases. But anyways that is some more thoughts on mobile platforms from my life's perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Blackberry Messenger is really its only strong point, but considering I owned my Pre for over 2 years, I only had a handful of friends who ever had a Blackberry at any point to utilize it.
    You've owned your Pre for over 2 years - Dude, you are one early adopter!!

OK, we knew what you meant. Good post.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Very well said.
    RIMM is operating exactly like the old PALM.
    Curve to Bold to Tour , same phone incremental improvements.

They haven't addressed anything about improving the platform.
    Personally, I think RIM needs to get on the "make our BES work with other platforms" bandwagon quick, before EAS catches up with them. The closer MS gets to BES, the worse the chances will be for RIM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12