Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Replace Apple with Palm, Palm has worse trolls than Apple.
    My point is thus proved...
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    google it
    Well, if someone is going to bring a claim, it should be reasonable for them to back those claims up. Googling can give you a wide variety of answers and not what the poster wants to bring.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noblejohn View Post
    I bought my Pre 6/6. Obsessed over it since CES in January. Last weekend (Friday) my fiance bought the 3GS 16 GB white....by Sunday evening I was speaking with retentions about cancelling my account, returning my Pre (my 3rd one I must add) and anxiously waiting to join the cult of Apple followers.

The Pre is a good, solid, smartly designed phone. But Palm tried TOO hard. Was the Apple crew at Palm a gift or curse????? I say both but ultimately it was a curse for me. Palm rushed to get the Pre out before Apple WWDC and dropped the ball. The Palm Pre is a beta product. I had 3 Palm Pre's in 5 weeks (and needed a fourth). EACH Pre had a horrendous, embarrassing shameful battery (Shame on you Palm!!!). I went from 1.0.01 to 1.0.04 and only saw very minor battery life improvement. I was told by Sprint repeatedly to dim the screen all the way (iPhone 3GS default is MAX brightness), turn off push Gmail, turn off GPS, turn off Wifi when not in use, always keep Wifi on (yes, i was told to do both), dont leave apps open when not using (WTF is multitasking then?!?!?!), dont sync Google Calendar, dont sync AIM, sign out of Gtalk/AIM when not in use (which TOTALLY defeats the purpose of IM) and to not remain in an area with poor signal coverage (my Pre ALWAYS had 1-2 bars at home where I use it most...my Blackberry 8330 had 3-4...3GS ALWAYS, without fail has 5 bars).

But I digress. If I did indeed make all these changes, I wouldnt have a smartphone but rather a....dumb phone???

My other main problem other than battery life was the screen. EACH of the 3 Pre's had dead pixels (b/w 1 and 20!) and overheated, which caused discoloration on the bottom of my screen. Every one. And the warranty date ranged from 5/27 on my first Pre to 6/26 on my final Pre. Not to mention how terribly SLUGGISH the Pre gets when multitasking (even basic, not intense), the memory leaks (telling me I cant open any more cards with only ONE open?!?!?!?!?!) and the painfully annoying low signal strength and dropped calls (hardly EVER had dropped calls with my blackberry....not 1 with 3GS)

Needless to say, I left Sprint and went to iPhone. And my what a difference a week makes. 2 days of casually using and experiencing the iPhone wiped away 6 months of Pre obsession and 5 weeks of heavy Pre use (I really felt like a beta tester).

I have not had one single solitary delay or hiccup since I bought this phone. Have 5 bars 90% of the time, SIGNIFICANTLY improved battery (I mean night and day people), SIGNIFICANTLY improved web browing (faster, better youtube and quicktime video integration, better formating, autofill, better bookmark mgmt & syncronization, etc.), smooth and responsive EVERY DAY ALL DAY, bigger and better screen (glass vs plastic, no repeated taps like with Pre) and of course 65,000 apps vs 30. I could go on and on but I dont wanna **** my PreCentral fam off. Just sharing my experience. But we shoud not accept sub par build quality just because Palm needs the Pre out before iPhone 3GS.
    How Noble of you, John, to spam this across different threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by noblejohn View Post
    I bought my Pre 6/6. Obsessed over it since CES in January. Last weekend (Friday) my fiance bought the 3GS 16 GB white....by Sunday evening I was speaking with retentions about cancelling my account, returning my Pre (my 3rd one I must add) and anxiously waiting to join the cult of Apple followers.

The Pre is a good, solid, smartly designed phone. But Palm tried TOO hard. Was the Apple crew at Palm a gift or curse????? I say both but ultimately it was a curse for me. Palm rushed to get the Pre out before Apple WWDC and dropped the ball. The Palm Pre is a beta product. I had 3 Palm Pre's in 5 weeks (and needed a fourth). EACH Pre had a horrendous, embarrassing shameful battery (Shame on you Palm!!!). I went from 1.0.01 to 1.0.04 and only saw very minor battery life improvement. I was told by Sprint repeatedly to dim the screen all the way (iPhone 3GS default is MAX brightness), turn off push Gmail, turn off GPS, turn off Wifi when not in use, always keep Wifi on (yes, i was told to do both), dont leave apps open when not using (WTF is multitasking then?!?!?!), dont sync Google Calendar, dont sync AIM, sign out of Gtalk/AIM when not in use (which TOTALLY defeats the purpose of IM) and to not remain in an area with poor signal coverage (my Pre ALWAYS had 1-2 bars at home where I use it most...my Blackberry 8330 had 3-4...3GS ALWAYS, without fail has 5 bars).

But I digress. If I did indeed make all these changes, I wouldnt have a smartphone but rather a....dumb phone???

My other main problem other than battery life was the screen. EACH of the 3 Pre's had dead pixels (b/w 1 and 20!) and overheated, which caused discoloration on the bottom of my screen. Every one. And the warranty date ranged from 5/27 on my first Pre to 6/26 on my final Pre. Not to mention how terribly SLUGGISH the Pre gets when multitasking (even basic, not intense), the memory leaks (telling me I cant open any more cards with only ONE open?!?!?!?!?!) and the painfully annoying low signal strength and dropped calls (hardly EVER had dropped calls with my blackberry....not 1 with 3GS)

Needless to say, I left Sprint and went to iPhone. And my what a difference a week makes. 2 days of casually using and experiencing the iPhone wiped away 6 months of Pre obsession and 5 weeks of heavy Pre use (I really felt like a beta tester).

I have not had one single solitary delay or hiccup since I bought this phone. Have 5 bars 90% of the time, SIGNIFICANTLY improved battery (I mean night and day people), SIGNIFICANTLY improved web browing (faster, better youtube and quicktime video integration, better formating, autofill, better bookmark mgmt & syncronization, etc.), smooth and responsive EVERY DAY ALL DAY, bigger and better screen (glass vs plastic, no repeated taps like with Pre) and of course 65,000 apps vs 30. I could go on and on but I dont wanna **** my PreCentral fam off. Just sharing my experience. But we shoud not accept sub par build quality just because Palm needs the Pre out before iPhone 3GS.
    APPLE... YAY! IphoneBlog.com 512-448-5000

Your cult is waiting. 65,000 apps with 64,991 of them not worth the money if paid app, and not worth the finger excertion if free.

The majority of us bought the Pre, and are happy. Your rant is as pointless as telling Ms. Brittney Spears to wear panties.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maven1975 View Post
    The more I use the use the Pre, the more I am concerned for it and all smart phones at this point.

It seems to me that the iPhone has crossed the line of competitor and has reached absolute dominator when it comes to web developers. Every other website has an iPhone version that allows quicker access to the key aspects of its content. I agree that it is not always done it the best manner, but if other companies feel that they need to drop the coin/investment into catering to that platform, what is going to open their eyes to develop for another?

And all of these companies rushing out to develop App's for it.. absolute insanity. The older, less likely to buy a smart phone, are even starting to buy into it.

Am i going insane when thinking that Palm had better get their crap together within six months? Seriously, if the SDK sucks that bad, and they are still trying to fill positions, and they didn't event think about gaming when developing the SDK or the Pre, maybe they deserve to fail.

The days of the Treo are over. You have to get this ready for Prime time soon Palm!!

I still love my Pre.

Going back to the original post, I think this is because the iPhone was the first mobile device that made web browsing into a decent experience. Last stats I saw showed that the iPhone made up about 65% of all mobile browsing, despite the fact that their market share is much smaller than that. Last client I had for web app development said 95% of mobile traffic to their site was from iPhones. They didn't even care about the other 5%. They wanted an iPhone compatible site, period.

The Pre is obviously as good as the iPhone at mobile browsing, and even shares the same webKit heritage. What the Pre doesn't have is the reputation, simply because the iPhone came along and earned it first. It's sort of like everybody calling a tissue a "Kleenex" when they are simply one brand. When you come along and define a category, the name and brand recognition sticks. That's unfortunate for any newcomers to the category.
    The iphone is on the web because of Bill O'Reilly and his whole "Web 2.0" bull**** he is spewing. Most people in America are sheeps and are herded by mass marketing and media.

My pre is used for keeping my life in order i.e phone calls, texts, calander, and contacts. My psp is for mobile gaming. I dont care to game on my pre. Besides theirs developers already making games. (Pop cap Games) If thats not enough when flash is released on the pre more and more games will be released.
    goodnight thread. Goodnight personal attacks. Cut them out. Also cut out the cursing - we have those measures here for a reason.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123