Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Finally someon who understands. Who cares if you sell 100 million phones a quarter if your profits are shrinking. The money is in smartphones which is why all the companies want to jump in that space. If Apple can make more profits selling 6 million iPhones and make more profit than Nokia shifting 100 million phones a quarter, why should they give a damn. Same with RIM. Also Apple has iPod touch users to add to the platform and help it grow. The more users te more apps, songs, movies, services like Mobileme they sell. Nokia can keep on selling 100 million phones a quarter.
    Did I miss the Palm Pre 3.0? I don't see it on my phone anywhere? These iPhone comparisons are a bit naive. Pre 1.0 vs. iPhone 3.0.

Web is iPhone because of Apple's huge marketing agencies. Even Microsoft isn't cleaver enough to out-duel Apple's marketing (failed Seinfeld ads).

It's a business and it's also a trend. iPhones are the "it" thing right now and continue to be. I've got nothing against iPhones (AT&T networks are a joke).

Competition is good thing for everyone. The Pre is actually the first touch-screen phone to actually give Apple something to consider other than themselves.

My Pre rocks. I'm happy for Apple that they have 1000's of apps for this and that. If they could open more than one of them at a time, that would be something.

-happy Pre owner
    You do realize the iPhone has been out over two years and the Pre just came out last month, right?
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan000 View Post
    I didn't buy my Pre for 3D gaming.
    Yeah!

I bought it for a suck-*** calendar that barely functions. And for 30 apps I never use (I try to use Evernote, but half of what I type in disappears later, and that's what I want in a note-taking system: unreliability.) And my 30 days are past... NFL app could blow me every-which-way till Sunday--but considering these other apps--I'm not holding my breath.
    Being that the initial post is about WEB development - since the Pre's browser is also webkit based, web sites optimized for the iPhone are ipso facto optimized for the Pre.

So what's the problem?
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson View Post
    Dude people are gonna jump all over this post making excuses for PALM, but as far as Im concerned you are spot on. I see PALM as my grandfather trying to rap about WWII. The good intentions are there, but its just past your time. You want to keep up with the new but your stuck with the old mentality. Its sad too, because PALM was my transition into smartphones, but they ran face first back into this market with both guns cocked screaming "death to all who oppose", hoping noone would call their bluff because both guns are empty. Just a sad sad day.
    Oh well,
    first , there are plenty of them around ( grand fathers) , so PALM can sell it to them.

Second , they are not telling you WWII stories , rather they are showing you a video of Afghan war on Youtube.

Adding Multitasking to phones is not a a small task ( it's a multitask ).

While the point on iPhone gaming is noted , the Pre and WobOS are here to stay. And they will eventually have solid games on it.

If you think Mobile business is all about gaming , then explain to me how on earth RIMM sells more phones than APPLE with a laughable gaming platform ????
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    Being that the initial post is about WEB development - since the Pre's browser is also webkit based, web sites optimized for the iPhone are ipso facto optimized for the Pre.

So what's the problem?
    So you go to a website and you see "click here for iphone version" That sells the iphone. Joe Blow doesn't know its webkit and that Palm and Android have similar. Joe Blow sees this all over the place and thinks he should get an iphone.

In addition, if you're using an iphone, most likely it will automatically go to the iphone version. If your using a Pre, you have to make it go to that iphone version or it will usually just send you to the default mobile one for full site.

In time, it'll get better.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maven1975 View Post
    It has nothing to do with Apple. Who said it was an iPhone killer? Only those that wanted competition, or the same people that buy 10+ apps per month on their iPhones. (Mostly Games) EVERYONE knew Palm did not have a chance at that.

It has to do with competing with devices in its same category. Palm is the one that said everyone look out, were gonna shock the world.

As a stock holder, I am extremely concerned that they did not choose to view game sales/percentages from the App store into their calculations. Not to mention, having a capable device and not delivering the capability to eager developers.

While I find my Pre enjoyable, the simple fact is that after reviewing the SDK in its current form, it seems to be rather disappointing that they did not intend on using these features BUILT INTO the freaking device. They might as well have omitted the capability and saved us all cash. Would you, those that agree with this nonsense, have rather this been the solution?

Also, lets not forget that what we call phones today will be the future of computing. If you have one serious competitor out there, you better take this opportunity to stick your neck out there and make some noise. MS is hindered by WinMobi currently, but my bets on a MS device that really makes a dent within the next few years.

Mind you I have THREE Pre's.
    Well if you have three Pres and owns PALM stock , you better know that PALM's intention was to build a device for "FAT MIDDLE" i.e. a smartphone with decent screen, good browser , music player , video player with a physical keyboard.

They did all that plus added super multitasking capabilities and an awesome UI.

What you are expecting as a share holder cannot be achieved from a single product i.e. Pre.

You might want to give them time to release another product.

If not , talk back to PALM in the role of shareholder and demand what you expect of them.

But lack of gaming in current SDK is just fine ( for now).
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    Source?
    google it
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    So you go to a website and you see "click here for iphone version" That sells the iphone. Joe Blow doesn't know its webkit and that Palm and Android have similar. Joe Blow sees this all over the place and thinks he should get an iphone.

In addition, if you're using an iphone, most likely it will automatically go to the iphone version. If your using a Pre, you have to make it go to that iphone version or it will usually just send you to the default mobile one for full site.

In time, it'll get better.
    As the Pre's market share grows, we can probably expect sites that currently have an "iPhone" version of their site to add the Pre's browser useragent to their code so that the Pre too will automatically go to the optimized site.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85 View Post

Yes Nokia outsells everyone else. But everytime someone points this out its like they're totally ignoring that the vast majority of the phones Nokia sells are simple cheap dumbphones, and the market for those is shrinking. Nokia's high end expensive phones have taken a serious hit in sales and thats where most of their profit is. Nokia: Profits Down 90%, But At Least We’ve Hit Bottom

The big profits are in the smartphone sector hence: Whoa, Apple and RIM Make a Lot of Money - Apple - Gizmodo
    "Surprise, Apple and RIM actually make a lot of money despite selling only 3 percent of the world's cellphones. Together, they pull in 35 percent of the industry's operating profits. An analyst suggests that if iPhone and BlackBerry's marketshare climbs to 5 percent, they'll rake in something like 58 percent of the industry's operating profits.

Man, Nokia's billion phone strategy don't look so great now does it?"
    Good post , but then how do you justify RIMM making money ?

They are not known for their gaming platform ?

They are one trick pony , only one good feature , i.e. EMAIL.
    They do have the keyboard to support it. Other than that , I don';t see them jumping into gaming thing.
    And they sell million phones a month.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Good post , but then how do you justify RIMM making money ?

They are not known for their gaming platform ?

They are one trick pony , only one good feature , i.e. EMAIL.
    They do have the keyboard to support it. Other than that , I don';t see them jumping into gaming thing.
    And they sell million phones a month.
    Because RIM sells smartphones which are the most profitable.
    To the original post....aren't iPhone apps native apps written in objective C? They run on the phone itself. Access to any Website has to be through the mobile Safari browser, correct? There may be Websites that recognize iPhone users and then tailor content to exploit specific features of Safari.

But the Pre's browser is, like Safari, based on a recent release of Webkit. I would think the Pre browser could exploit the same standard features of any Website as does Safari.

The difference is in the nature of the development environments. For iPhone, you have to know Objective C. Does Apple even allow Web apps within Safari? (I don't know the answer to that.)

But for Pre/webOS, you need to know JavaScript, HTLM 5, CSS3, with the Mojo SDK to provide access to on-device features and OS services. That's because a second Webkit engine, married to the Linux core, acts as the execution engine for webOS apps. At least from what I can tell.

The question is whether webOS/Mojo will enable fast development of simple to use, but sophisticated applications, exploiting the multi-tasking capabilities, and the higher degree of integration with the Web. We'll have to wait and see.

I read Craig Hunter's lament [at hunter dot pairsite dot com] that Mojo currently doesn't support a variety of things needed for complex gaming applications. To me, it would seem only a matter of time before webOS and Mojo can support those, or at least improve them. Hard core gamers would seem to a relatively small group compared to the overall mass market Palm is aiming for.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I think everyone needs to take a step back and relax, the Pre has been out for about six weeks and everyone is acting like it has been out for a year and still no apps to go with it. Is it an Iphone world...hardly, it is just that the Iphone has been out for three years so the developers have had a few years to come up with an ***load of apps, many useless, for the phone. Six months from now it will be a different story.

I downloaded maybe ten of the current apps and probably use three to four of them at the present moment. Once more come down the pipe, I will see what use I have for them. I purchased this phone for the multi-tasking, touch screen, querty keyboard and am very happy on how it works.

We just need to download "We Be Jammin'" by Bob Marley and chill.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    The sites should say Mobile not Iphone or Pre. This phone is new and I see people doubting it already. Maybe you shouldn't have been a early buyer. 1st gen IPhone wasn't good in the begining but I'm time it got better. Why can't people seem to give Palm time to develop.

Secondly this is a different platform. Palm does not need to try to top Apple in every department. Would be cool but same can be said about Apple. I mean Apple can't even do some simple features smartphones been doing forever.

Just saying give Palm time like everyone gave Apple time. To be a 1st gen device, this phone is really up there with the elites (I find it to be the best), so let's see how it evolves.

Yea the sites should say Mobile not IPhone or any other phone name.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson View Post
    Dude people are gonna jump all over this post making excuses for PALM, but as far as Im concerned you are spot on. I see PALM as my grandfather trying to rap about WWII. The good intentions are there, but its just past your time. You want to keep up with the new but your stuck with the old mentality. Its sad too, because PALM was my transition into smartphones, but they ran face first back into this market with both guns cocked screaming "death to all who oppose", hoping noone would call their bluff because both guns are empty. Just a sad sad day.
    I bought my Pre 6/6. Obsessed over it since CES in January. Last weekend (Friday) my fiance bought the 3GS 16 GB white....by Sunday evening I was speaking with retentions about cancelling my account, returning my Pre (my 3rd one I must add) and anxiously waiting to join the cult of Apple followers.

The Pre is a good, solid, smartly designed phone. But Palm tried TOO hard. Was the Apple crew at Palm a gift or curse????? I say both but ultimately it was a curse for me. Palm rushed to get the Pre out before Apple WWDC and dropped the ball. The Palm Pre is a beta product. I had 3 Palm Pre's in 5 weeks (and needed a fourth). EACH Pre had a horrendous, embarrassing shameful battery (Shame on you Palm!!!). I went from 1.0.01 to 1.0.04 and only saw very minor battery life improvement. I was told by Sprint repeatedly to dim the screen all the way (iPhone 3GS default is MAX brightness), turn off push Gmail, turn off GPS, turn off Wifi when not in use, always keep Wifi on (yes, i was told to do both), dont leave apps open when not using (WTF is multitasking then?!?!?!), dont sync Google Calendar, dont sync AIM, sign out of Gtalk/AIM when not in use (which TOTALLY defeats the purpose of IM) and to not remain in an area with poor signal coverage (my Pre ALWAYS had 1-2 bars at home where I use it most...my Blackberry 8330 had 3-4...3GS ALWAYS, without fail has 5 bars).

But I digress. If I did indeed make all these changes, I wouldnt have a smartphone but rather a....dumb phone???

My other main problem other than battery life was the screen. EACH of the 3 Pre's had dead pixels (b/w 1 and 20!) and overheated, which caused discoloration on the bottom of my screen. Every one. And the warranty date ranged from 5/27 on my first Pre to 6/26 on my final Pre. Not to mention how terribly SLUGGISH the Pre gets when multitasking (even basic, not intense), the memory leaks (telling me I cant open any more cards with only ONE open?!?!?!?!?!) and the painfully annoying low signal strength and dropped calls (hardly EVER had dropped calls with my blackberry....not 1 with 3GS)

Needless to say, I left Sprint and went to iPhone. And my what a difference a week makes. 2 days of casually using and experiencing the iPhone wiped away 6 months of Pre obsession and 5 weeks of heavy Pre use (I really felt like a beta tester).

I have not had one single solitary delay or hiccup since I bought this phone. Have 5 bars 90% of the time, SIGNIFICANTLY improved battery (I mean night and day people), SIGNIFICANTLY improved web browing (faster, better youtube and quicktime video integration, better formating, autofill, better bookmark mgmt & syncronization, etc.), smooth and responsive EVERY DAY ALL DAY, bigger and better screen (glass vs plastic, no repeated taps like with Pre) and of course 65,000 apps vs 30. I could go on and on but I dont wanna **** my PreCentral fam off. Just sharing my experience. But we shoud not accept sub par build quality just because Palm needs the Pre out before iPhone 3GS.
    Ok this funny!

Yesterday I setup bookmarks for all the mobile website listed here on PreCentral.

Today, some of those mobile site don't work.

Could those sites disabled the Pre from getting those sites to render?

Maybe Apple is using some strong arm tactics.

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Ok this funny!

Yesterday I setup bookmarks for all the mobile website listed here on PreCentral.

Today, some of those mobile site don't work.

Could those sites disabled the Pre from getting those sites to render?

Maybe Apple is using some strong arm tactics.

Rob
    Maybe true. Only issue is that they are Iphone optimized, not Pre optimized. We can't really get on companies for not allowing our Pre's to work on their Iphone site.

Get your friends, family, and strangers you meet to buy a Pre, and maybe you will see www.foxnews.com/pre or www.booger.com/pre.

Don't click on the links... they are not real.
    I could never see myself buying an iPhone. The 'iD.ouchery' going around the net is a sign of the times. Apple's followers have always been cultish, but bashing endlessly on other companies has just become par for the course as an acceptable form of marketing and success for them. Picking up trolls along the way who also embrace this form of forward momentum is natural and inevitable...

It will eventually bite them in the arse, that I am very sure of. The very trolls they are catering to indirectly will bring them down...
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by axiomjunglist View Post
    I could never see myself buying an iPhone. The 'iD.ouchery' going around the net is a sign of the times. Apple's followers have always been cultish, but bashing endlessly on other companies has just become par for the course as an acceptable form of marketing and success for them. Picking up trolls along the way who also embrace this form of forward momentum is natural and inevitable...

It will eventually bite them in the arse, that I am very sure of. The very trolls they are catering to indirectly will bring them down...
    Replace Apple with Palm, Palm has worse trolls than Apple.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast