Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a long time Mac user (over 10 years now) who also owns a Pre. I like Apple, think they make great products, but I also dont live, breathe & sleep everything Apple either & know when they do wrong. Im not just some blind fanboy who many of you think of when you hear the term "Mac user". I like their computers, but dont own an iPod, iPhone, etc & frankly don't want one.

That being said, I've come to the conclusion that they don't want my business anymore unless I live totally in the "Apple world". It's all or nothing with them & it wasnt always like this. To some degree it was, but not this hardcore.

I can remember, not that long ago, when Apple was the underdog & they played MUCH nicer about stuff like this & just wanted to build the best stuff they could that would work for the most people (and they did). iTunes always worked with other 3rd party players right out of the box for years.

Somewhere along the way though (well after the iPod phenomenon), they got super greedy & slowly started pulling shenanigans like this. They do it all the time now & I dont like it at all. They still make great products, no question, but I kinda hate what they've become business wise. They're more "Microsoft" than Microsoft ever thought about being & you really cant get any more closed & proprietary than them. I always thought that if "Apple Computer" had released the iPhone instead of the new "Apple Inc", they would have sold it unlocked free & clear to use with any carrier you wanted.

Why should I have to use an iPhone or an iPod to sync with iTunes with my Mac?? I mean, do I have to eat, breathe & sleep everything Apple these days in order to get that seamless experience that I've grown accustomed to for all these years?? No, not technically, but they just set it up that way because Apple has its hand in so many businesses now.

I almost feel like if I'm not using my Mac with all of Apple's other accessories (iPods, iPhones, AppleTVs etc), then its almost pointless to use a Mac at all because they're going out of their way to make it difficult to use any other media products with it. If Apple produced their own line of digital cameras, there's no doubt in my mind that they'd eventually drop support for other 3rd party cameras in iPhoto. Its really no different than what they're doing now with iTunes.

Anyways, Apple is still very much an underdog (they're actually losing desktop market share), so IMO they need to act like it & stop with all the horse s*i*. They're getting a bit too big for for britches again & getting a big head just like they did in the mid 80s & it'll end up biting them in the a$$ again. I hope it does, they need to get a taste of some humble pie.
    i concur.
    i share a lot of your sentiments. i just bought a mac and i definitely feel cornered, like i have to buy other mac products when i really don't want to.
    Last edited by laestrella; 07/16/2009 at 09:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    It really isn't that serious, that anyone expect anything else from apple were kidding themselves...and futhermore who cares? Use Markspace or something other medium

People are acting like Palm and everyother device is doomed without Apple Itunes.
    Statement of the year...
    You didn't buy a PC. You bought a piece of Apple's platform. Their goal is to get you to buy the other pieces as well. Seamless compatibility within that platform is key. Only thing is, i need compatibility outside that platform.

You might think it sucks, but then again, you bought into it. I would never own a Mac.
    Their anti-competitive behavior has distanced me from ever buying an Apple device or product.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Go Gators!
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    It really isn't that serious, that anyone expect anything else from apple were kidding themselves...and futhermore who cares? Use Markspace or something other medium

People are acting like Palm and everyother device is doomed without Apple Itunes.
    Statement of the year...
    i don't think the OPs statements were just about the syncing issue. i think it adds to his/her frustration but it's not just about that.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Just get Missing Sync for Palm Pre.

It syncs iTunes just fine. It does not use the file obfuscation that Apple uses on iPods - you have regular file names. Since it looks at the iTunes files and does not use iTunes sync, Apple can't block this sync.

There is a problem with repeating Calendar entries on the Pre (a Pre bug), but the work around is to enter those on the Mac side.

I suspect that the Wi-Fi connection for Calendar and Address Book will cause problems if you get out of range while syncing.

It even has a trimmer to create ring tones from MP3s. That turns out to be much simpler than creating ring tones in Garage Band. It also comes with 16 ring tones.

Now, if Mark/Space will just add Notes sync, my Mac sync will be complete. They had it on Missing Sync for Palm OS. Using Evernote for notes until then.

The folder sync keeps Pre files in sync with the Mac folder of your choice.

Haven't used Photo, Video, or Book Marks sync yet.

All in all the best Mac sync available.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    I have this view also, however not related to Palm Pre (am in the UK) but to experience with Logitech Squeezebox products.

I have a number of squeezebox products and this highlighted to me the apple approach in areas such as DRM (although since removed), artwork, music not ripped in iTunes, and the biggest - iTunes not being available on Linux (which betrays their unix roots)

Before I bought squeezebox kit I was unaware of how difficult it was to interact with apple products from non-apple software and hardware.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    If one does not produce movies, and one buys a mac, wouldn't that make one a d-bag?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Anyways, Apple is still very much an underdog (they're actually losing desktop market share), so IMO they need to act like it & stop with all the horse s*i*. They're getting a bit too big for for britches again & getting a big head just like they did in the mid 80s & it'll end up biting them in the a$$ again. I hope it does, they need to get a taste of some humble pie.
    Yup I smell history repeating itself and I for one can not wait....
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    It has occurred to me more than once that Apple has near monopoly control in personal music players and a predominant position in cell phones (in the US) they are now doing the same things that Microsoft has been accused of doing for many years. They're trying to control the market with monopolistic practices.

What is amusing is that most Apple fanatics don't understand that Apple uses the normal emotional responses of "rooting for the underdog" and "rage against the machine" and "we're smarter (and therefore better) because we have chosen a superior solution" marketing ploy to get them to happily pay more for their products. Apple is no different than any other company. When they have leverage to get into your pocket, they WILL use it.

The genius of Steve Jobs is his marketing acumen. How many people believe that Mac's are somehow impervious to viruses? Total BS. Virus purveyors fish where the fish are. And that mean's targeting PC's. No computer OS is bullet proof.
    I agree with the OP. When I watched the WWDC keynote this year, and they compared the amount of apps each store has, they made a point to make fun of Palm. Of course this is a week after Palm released the device. Its like they were suppose to have 1,0000 apps at launch. Then this whole business with iTunes.
    I love my Macbook Pro, but I also love my Pre. Apple I think has gotten a big head these days and it makes me really sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remedy1978 View Post
    I agree with the OP. When I watched the WWDC keynote this year, and they compared the amount of apps each store has, they made a point to make fun of Palm. Of course this is a week after Palm released the device. Its like they were suppose to have 1,0000 apps at launch. Then this whole business with iTunes.
    I love my Macbook Pro, but I also love my Pre. Apple I think has gotten a big head these days and it makes me really sad.
    Actually, it was only 2 days after the Pre was released
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    The genius of Steve Jobs is his marketing acumen. How many people believe that Mac's are somehow impervious to viruses? Total BS. Virus purveyors fish where the fish are. And that mean's targeting PC's. No computer OS is bullet proof.
    No OS is bullet proof, but OS/X and Linux are much harder to do real damage to than something like WinXP or Vista with security off.

OP: Apple wants either my way or the highway. Welcome to the highway. Things happen faster here and your devices will play more formats than they ever have.
    I never used itunes...I always used windows media player and music match.
    I have 47,276 songs in my music folder. I actually made a switch to itunes because of the pre. Now because of this "genius" move on apples part, I will be switching back.
    they also lost me as a customer of purchasing an ipod... and any future purchases from the itunes store.
    Good job apple!!! You turned a new customer into a Never Again non-customer
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Yup I smell history repeating itself and I for one can not wait....
    I suspect some of the users here are too young to completely understand the "history repeats itself" remark.

Apple made a decision back in the 70's (ancient history in the computer world) to maintain a completely closed (and proprietary) architecture on their hardware. They did this so they could control all add-on devices and peripherals. It also helped them maintain a virtually bulletproof OS (no pesky outside configuration files, and eventually libraries, to worry about).

IBM took the opposite route. Some say that was a mistake, and it may be debatable - it was great for the consumer, and especially for MicroSoft, but there's a reason you don't see as big a market share of IBM PC's (not IBM compatible, but IBM branded). They got swamped by clones and gave up. Apple did well... for a while.

The problem though, isn't whether or not that was a good idea for Apple, or a bad idea for IBM (their decision really did all but kill off their consumer PC division). The problem is that the genie's out of the bottle. The consumer has come to demand interoperability, and that's not going to change.

Apple is not going to succesfully grab the genie back, and stuff it in the bottle. It's really interesting to see the blowback that Apple is getting from folks that don't even have a Pre over this one.

You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehoff99 View Post
    I never used itunes...I always used windows media player and music match.
    I have 47,276 songs in my music folder. I actually made a switch to itunes because of the pre. Now because of this "genius" move on apples part, I will be switching back.
    they also lost me as a customer of purchasing an ipod... and any future purchases from the itunes store.
    Good job apple!!! You turned a new customer into a Never Again non-customer
    Why did you even switch to iTunes in the first place if WMP is compatible with the Pre already?
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    The amazing thing to me is that Apple felt threatened enough by the Pre's syncing with iTunes to actually invest money in stopping it. I doubt it cost a lot, but software that works costs money. They've added an entirely new feature to their software to block the Pre (and others who would try to interface the same way), and had to test it to make sure it does what they intended and doesn't interfere with anything else.

Certainly Apple can't view the Pre as a threat by itself, can it? Even the most successful projections of Pre sales are but a sliver of the market the iPhone has garnered. I think Apple felt threatened by the hundreds of other device makers who they fear would try the same thing. That's the only reasonable conclusion. And that means that they don't think their iPod/iPhone hardware is great enough to stand in the face of their competitors without the ecosystem lock-in.

It's one thing if they lock you into their ecosystem by guaranteeing that everything will work harmoniously with everything else. That's beneficial to consumers. It's another thing if they go out of their way to keep others out of their ecosystem. That is removing consumer choice, and in the end it will bite them--maybe not right now, but eventually.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast