Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So today I and a friend with an iPhone were out in an area with really bad cell coverage. My friend needed to file some flight plan info (we were flying together), and he uses his iPhone to do it. But there was no AT&T coverage here. But in one spot you can get a decent Verizon EVDO signal (at 850 MHz).

So my Pre locked on to it and I could download my email to check on what going on at the office (I'm on vacation but need to stay in touch). Worked great since my Pre roams on VZ's network.

So I said to my friend, hey, my Pre can help out your iPhone. So I signed on with AONIC's GREAT FANTASTIC tethering application, and enabled wifi tethering (I'd never done that before, just used USBnet and bluetooth). His iPhone saw my Pre, joined the network with one click, and then he proceeded to run his flight plan app, downbloaded the weather info and maps, all while I was busy replying to some urgent email as well as checking the forums, etc... He then fired up skype on his iPhone and made a few calls!

He finished up and he admitted that he was really impressed by the Pre. So until the iPhone is offered by VZ, I think he might get a Pre on the Sprint Relay plan and bring it along as a router to help out his iPhone when he gets in into tough coverage areas (he travels a lot in not so urban areas). At $25/month, the Pre makes a pretty good modem for an iPhone...

Thought you guys would enjoy the story.

Mike
    Last edited by mikesm; 07/14/2009 at 04:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    It would have been a better story if you had captured his data packets traversing your phone and told him what his passwords are :P
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Lol, that's pretty sweet. Score 1 for the pre.
    I thought this is what the MiFi was for?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Haha, way to utilize the device!

Question, how to you know when you're roaming with 3G? I've only been roaming out in rural areas, and I always get a 1x or R next to the signal. Never an EVDO symbol. That would surely be useful.
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    This thread promised a funny story.

I demand a refund.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post

I demand a refund.
    Heres your refund:
    I think the funny story comes later when Sprint sends him the bill for it :P
    It's more like 15 pre 4 iphone. When the pre will be an adult like the iphone, it'll blow it out of the water.

I thought the story was more inspiring than funny.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Someone once told me that there really is no roaming btwn Sprint and Verizon. Being that they are the two major CDMA companies they have an agreement to utilize each others towers. It's sort of a win win for both the company and consumers, at least both companies can boast about coverage everywhere when really they share towers. And the consumer can get service w/o paying penalties.
    haha, good stuff!
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I thought the story was great. It was like a high-tech Brokeback Mountain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I thought the story was great. It was like a high-tech Brokeback Mountain.
    I just spit coffee on my keyboard... Good thing im at work not personal computer hahaha (it still works fine) good joke tho
    SCK Manager

I demand a refund.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Like from Slingblade?

Not funny "ha=ha". Funny Brokeback Mountain.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Haha, way to utilize the device!

Question, how to you know when you're roaming with 3G? I've only been roaming out in rural areas, and I always get a 1x or R next to the signal. Never an EVDO symbol. That would surely be useful.
    I am pretty sure it did EVDO here on the VZ network. I had 3 bars and the speed was about a megabit, which you really can't do with 1x RTT.

It was definitely roaming though. Next time I am in a similar situation I'll look at the indicator.

It's actually a pretty interesting option to pair a Pre with an iPhone. My friend can't use Skype over the AT&T 3G connect, but he can via wifi. So Skype tethered through the Pre and the Pre's 3G works fine since all the phone knows is it's going over wifi. So no voice minutes consumed at all and using Sprint or VZ's 3G network. If Skype only ran in the background you'd have a cell voice replacement service there.

I demand a refund.
    I would have to agree...wasted a minute of my life
    Quote Originally Posted by aznicktwit View Post
    You would have wasted it anyways.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by aznicktwit View Post
    Just changed the thread title... :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    You would have wasted it anyways.
    Yeah, but I invested the minute with the expectation of a funny story! I'm just kidding by the way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast